Florida_Audio

2 Amplifiers, 1 for front and 1 for rear?

I am going to be buying a 2015 or 2016 Acura TLX v6. I believe the system comes with 10 speakers. I am trying to plan ahead and see how I would start with putting in aftermarket speakers and 1 subwoofer.

I think I need 8 channels from amplifier to do the speakers without a subwoofer. So if this is correct, I can just use 2 identical amplifiers that have 4 channels each? Also if so, would it be smart to just use 1 amp for the rear channels in the car, and 1 amp for the front channels in the car? although each speaker will be different sizes and require different amounts of power... So this is super confusing.

Also, the factory stereo is not recommended to be removed due to the Active Noise Cancel feature and other things? Not sure if it is fine to just keep the factory stereo? I am used to just replacing the stereo with enough pre amp outputs and going from there. Never just kept factory stereo. Was not aware this is okay to do when adding aftermarket speakers with new amps/?

I am asking if the 2 amp setup is okay? And trying to figure out where to start with the planning stage of my setup? Thank you for any help!

Why don't you wait until you have the vehicle and then you will know what you need to do.   You may find the factory system is satisfactory and only needs some simple improvements.

I know I should wait for it and listen to how things go. But I am pretty set on upgrading the sound system no matter what. Just trying to plan out what I will need to buy and how much it may cost for a rough estimate on budget. And considering what sort of foundation it will require, such as number of amplifiers to connect to the speakers and how to do it.

Also sort of confused about the whole process of installing amplifier and aftermarket speakers without getting a new stereo?

I can always just subtract from the plan if I only want to improve the front speakers and leave the rears alone. Which I may do, but still like to consider my options.

After sound system I plan on possibly reupholstering the seats. But sound system first! Priorities :]

Edited by Florida_Audio

Generally speaking I would focus on only the fronts.  The rears are pointless.  As for what to upgrade, first you have to describe what you don't like about it.  Otherwise you are spending $ for arbitrary reasons.

For keeping your factory head unit, while adding aftermarket amps and speakers, you are going to want to start to check out some Line Out Converters.

Thanks for the replies. I am sort of set with the idea that almost no matter what I will want to get aftermarket speakers and add 1 subwoofer. For sure the front speakers. And possibly the rears.

Thanks Aaron. I am not too familiar with these items, but I have heard about a line out converter OR an amplifier with speaker level inputs? Would both work pretty much the same as the end result? Like I just need one or the other? I think with line out converted I am required to run all new speaker wires throughout the car? Or is that wrong?

I found some nifty info for you.   I still think you're best to wait until you have the car and then go from there. 

https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/42346-tlx-audio-system-faq.html

First and foremost, you need to know what you’re working with. Get your hands on a vehicle, take pics, and start planning !!! What you will need to adapt the source unit to aftermarket amplification and what will need to be done to the vehicle for driver upgrades. 

Get to it brother !!! I’m tuned in wishing I had time to work on mine !!!

Edited by Randal Johnson
Can’t type for shit these days

15 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I found some nifty info for you.   I still think you're best to wait until you have the car and then go from there. 

https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/42346-tlx-audio-system-faq.html 

Oh wow thanks alot. I have been searching for build information of people who altered their sound setup for a 2015 or later TLX. Hard to find. Thanks!

Just found interesting post. Yea the guy works for a specific company so hes only used his companies products but still interesting to see post #14. Hes using insanely expensive stuff too lol. But cool to get an idea of a build. Also its a 2018 Acura TLX... I think the stock sound setup is different from previous years.

https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/41433-2018-acura-tlx-spec-audio-overhaul-2.html

Edited by Florida_Audio

4 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

Oh wow thanks alot. I have been searching for build information of people who altered their sound setup for a 2015 or later TLX. Hard to find. Thanks!

Just found interesting post. Yea the guy works for a specific company so hes only used his companies products but still interesting to see post #14. Hes using insanely expensive stuff too lol. But cool to get an idea of a build. Also its a 2018 Acura TLX... I think the stock sound setup is different from previous years.

https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/41433-2018-acura-tlx-spec-audio-overhaul-2.html

He's an audio idiot as well.  All that stuff and it won't sound as good as a properly setup 2 channel.  He is showing you exactly how NOT to do it.  Too bad since the install skills used are pretty.

21 hours ago, ///M5 said:

He's an audio idiot as well.  All that stuff and it won't sound as good as a properly setup 2 channel.  He is showing you exactly how NOT to do it.  Too bad since the install skills used are pretty.

That install is an example of why I disparately want to expand our product lines as for all the people who will order just one brand across the board.

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 2:51 PM, ///M5 said:

Looks like they addressed this issue in post 18. Sounds like this may be a demo vehicle of sorts from some of the wording used in early posts. 

"Question about the volume control... Did you lose control of your car’s volume knob, or are you doing this purely for EQ reasons? I leave the OEM volume at level 28 as it's a strong non-clipped signal before the bass begins to attenuate at higher levels. I use the DRC-200 controller installed in the center console for all volume and subwoofer control to avoid having my EQ change with the volume. This gives me a consistent sounding tune at all times. It's also how I toggle between the factory DTS Neural processing and a more traditional 2-channel audio system on the fly."

No...that is pointless.  Switching from good to bad is not the way to do it.  I realize he claims switching the other way but that car is regrettably a waste.

If this is a demo car, the point could be exactly why you are saying this is a waste... 

Customer says "I want a 13 speaker install done."

installer says "listen to this car. What do you hear different and what do you like more? I just saved you 10k on your install"

Some people just need to experience it for themselves to realize why less is more. 

That is not how it will be used.  Either way you are implying you want to copy it by posting.  If you want to throw money away i can give you an address to send it to.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, Florida_Audio said:

Thanks Aaron. I am not too familiar with these items, but I have heard about a line out converter OR an amplifier with speaker level inputs? Would both work pretty much the same as the end result? Like I just need one or the other? I think with line out converted I am required to run all new speaker wires throughout the car? Or is that wrong?

Not trying to spam, but still curious about this if someone does not mind answering? Thanks again for any input! Also I heard something about needing a DSP or a JL Audio fix 86, or AudioControl LC7i. So these three items, as well as line out converter versus amplifier with speaker level inputs.

It seems like a DSP, the JL audiofix 86, or AudioControl LC7i are all different items but they serve similar functions? To allow for a a somewhat more uniform signal to be send to each speaker, and subwoofer? I don't think saying a uniform signal is correct, but I don't know how to word that.

And then speaker level input on amp or line out converter, only one would be required, and then one of the 3 items above would be used with either of these?

I understand I may not need these items, but just trying to understand the purpose of these items. Thanks!

Edited by Florida_Audio

All this bull shit over a vehicle you haven’t bought yet.  Rediculous