Armoto286

Amp or HU crossover, and HU suggestions

Looking for some recommendations for a head unit. So, what I will be working with is 4 evil1 tweets, 4 evil65 mids, and 2 nvx800.4 amps to power them. One amp will power all mids, and the other will power the tweets. 2 or 3 15 inch subs will come later. Almost decided on the hellions. But, anyways I want to run an active setup in my 96 jeep grand cherokee. I thought about using the amps crossovers instead of a head unit. I also considered an audio control matrix plus since I will be using y splinters and do not want to lose any rca output. What head unit would anyone recommend for this setup? Also, if using the nvx 800.4 crossover is a bad idea, is there another setup that would be better, hu, etc.?

Controlling your crossovers on your amplifier SUCKS.  Super hard to make changes quickly and hear what they can do.  The 800.4 also does not have the needed crossovers to do this.  The matrix is pointless with a modern headunit.

What format head unit do you need?  Single/double/custom din?  I am not familiar with the 96 Jeeps.  Personally I would shop for a head unit that is fully active capable.

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Controlling your crossovers on your amplifier SUCKS.  Super hard to make changes quickly and hear what they can do.  The 800.4 also does not have the needed crossovers to do this.  The matrix is pointless with a modern headunit.

What format head unit do you need?  Single/double/custom din?  I am not familiar with the 96 Jeeps.  Personally I would shop for a head unit that is fully active capable.

Glad I asked then lol. I apologize. Looking for a single din. Knew I was forgetting something. 

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I think that year Wrangler is a single DIN.  If so, I recommend this Pioneer.  I am running two of them myself and love them.  The Pioneer app makes phone integration very fluid.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DS5120B/Pioneer-DEH-S5120BT.html

You are correct. Sad there is no room for a double din...I will check that head unit out. Thanks

2 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

This is an active head unit, it will allow you to customize your crossover points without buying a digital sound processor (dsp)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13080PRS/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=109265223803&awdv=t&awkw

I hear about a ton of folks running those. I will have to check it out for sure. 

Just curious, would it be pointless to have a inexpensive head unit and a dsp, when you can have everything all in one such as the pioneer 80prs for less money? Or is there a difference in adjustability between the two?

1 hour ago, Armoto286 said:

Just curious, would it be pointless to have a inexpensive head unit and a dsp, when you can have everything all in one such as the pioneer 80prs for less money? Or is there a difference in adjustability between the two?

I was only asking because a good friend of mine said he has an alpine cde-164bt he would sell me for 100 bucks. He bought it for his truck, but, sold it and no longer has any use for it. Thinking about buying it from him. Good or bad idea?

Just more stuff to install. The prs80 is right at your fingertips. Without comparing both units side by side I cant tell you which one has the better features or even if you will use them all. Really comes down to a personal preference really. Look up both units and see what you will be more comfortable with. Just my .02 

The prs is a GREAT first active unit.  Graphic eq instead of parametric including independent Left & Right adjustments.  Killer sound is easier on it than almost any other processor...just don't use the auto-tune function as it is terrible, but that can be said about all of them.

I appreciate the help and suggestions fellas. I almost pulled the trigger on an 80prs, but $100 for my buddy's 164bt that was basically never used....don't know if I can pass it up. Seems to be a good deal. Had I known he was selling it, I would have titled this thread differently and not wasted you guys time. I know it's super convenient to tune from the drivers seat but it's not a super big deal I guess. So, since i'm going to run that alpine 164bt what's a good processor? Guess I'll need one with several channels since I'm going to running two 4 channel amps and  a sub amp. 

Even at $100, I'd buy the PRS.  The processor addition will cost you more than the difference if it is convenient enough for changes at the headunit.  Alpine is fine, but you have to get a unit with Bass Engine Pro.  

Makes sense. I did not know this but the alpine is tune it app capable. There are some settings in the menu of the head unit, but the app seems a littler easier to me. On the app it has 9 band parametric eq that has quite a few adjustments, also has time correction, fader/balance, crossover adjustment(front and rear hpf and sub lpf), bass engine sq, and a couple other things. Not sure if that's helpful info. 

Tune it is fine...if you have band pass or minimally a LPF for the mids.

I find the PRS controls easier though.

IIRC there is a TuneIt and TUneItPro or something.  You need the Pro if that is the case.  HP only on the mids will NOT work.

I am late to the topic, but I 2nd the PRS suggestion.  As that is what I have used (well older units). ;)

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

IIRC there is a TuneIt and TUneItPro or something.  You need the Pro if that is the case.  HP only on the mids will NOT 

Just looked it up. The tune it pro is for an alpine processor which looks like it has all the bells and whistles you would ever need, and 12 channels, but, at a price. Should have just went with the prs80. That $100 alpine head unit ain't so cheap now lol.

Will the prs80 give me full control over 4 evil1 tweeters and 4 evil65 mids plus subs? In example, control over crossovers, etc for tweeters 1 and 2, and then seperate for tweeters 3 and 4?

The prs 80 is nice...and looks good too !

If you already have that Alpine h u, maybe you can find a good little  DSP to have full control like you want.

I don't think you can find the Alpine processor H800 (or something) for cheap. It would have been a really good solution.

I was in the same boat, I wanted to go active but mu head unit could not do it I bought a mini dsp , following M5 advice (always !).

That's what I will have to do. Thought about pulling the alpine out and buying the 80prs which I should have done in the first place. But I did a good wiring job and don't want to yank the alpine unit out lol. Going to just suck it up and buy a processor of some sorts. I would need something like 10 channels for 8 speakers plus subs. What processor would you recommend? 

10 channels?  Yikes.  Not sure that exists.  Where are the Evils mounted?  Curious why you want different processing for all 4 tweeters although my guess is because you have them in different locations...which may lead you to not liking my next recommendation and that is to just unplug the rears.

One evil 6.5 per door. Evil tweets will be possibly in the dash, don't have them yet. If two evil tweets will be enough for 2 or 3 15's then I won't bother with 4 of them. I was only assuming I would need 4 evil1's to pair with the 4 evil mids.