Florida_Audio

New 12" hellion installed

Got the 12" hellion installed earlier today. Thought would take around 3 to 4 hours. But ended up taking 7 hours for amp install, LOC, sub into box, and box into trunk, tuned a bit and all good. The installer seems very knowledgable and super chill dude. I feel bad that it took so long... I was there just hanging out and talking with him throughout the whole thing and paying attention to learn some.

Will post more pics tomorrow hopefully after work. I was suprised about how long it took to get through the firewall with a grommet. I guess the new acura TLX are not easy to do.

Also that the installer tapped into the power and ground wires for the LOC into the amplifier. Will post pics. Also I know the BOOM logo is not visible with how i positioned the box, but its not a big deal. Looks nice with logo and matching colors, but I'd rather face the sub towards back of trunk instead of upwards.

One other thing I learned about today was "box rise". The installer told me even though the amp is rated at 1000 W RMS at 1 ohm, and the subwoofer can handle 950 W RMS, that at times I will often not be getting the full power from the amp due to change in ohms from box rise? Any1 care to comment on this? Should I have actually gotten a 1500 W RMS amplifier to account for the change in ohm from box rise? Thanks!

20190104_152122.jpg

Edited by Florida_Audio

Looks good..how  dose it sound? What 1000 what amp do you have now? Going from a 1k amp to 1.5k amp you probably wont hear a diffrence.all depends on the amp..ive  gone for double rms and turn the amp gains way down.seems to help clean the sound up..if i can..quality of amp helps with sound.

Nice!

To answer question about the amp, I got the synergy 1k from here. Rated at 1000 Watt RMS at 1 ohm. Wired in parallel with DVC for the 1 ohm.

I have not spent a great deal of time listening to it yet. Had work today for most of day.

But on drive back home I noticed that with the headunit set to like 5 to 15 on volume knob, which is low to middle, the subwoofer often won't play or if it does, it randomly jumps to a high boom out of no where... I can set my headunit to around 32 before the door speakers start to distort around 35. I think it goes up to 40.

But when I play the volume around 30, then the subwoofer sounds great and occasionally will sort of get real deep, but its much more consistent. At mid to lower volume the subwoofer plays very inconsistently and is all over the place. I guess i just noticed this because i didnt play the volume at lower levels much yet, really wanted to listen to nice bass.

The shop that installed the sub, amp, and loc tuned it a bit by ear. we also only listened at higher volumes. the LOC has a Maximize light that supposedly shows when the LOC may be clipping? i think thats what it should be for, but doubt its very accurate.

Any ideas on what can be causing this issue? Should I adjust the gain settings? If so I believe I set the LOC gain settings first and then the amplifier if needed? I have no idea where to start, and hope its just a simple adjustment for the gain :[

Thanks for any help!

More pictures... but i forgot to take pictures of how the LOC is wired. its weird i think. like wired with power and ground into amp.

Pics of gains and settings in case it may help to adjust for my issue! thanks for any input.

20190105_105246.jpg

Can't remove that image above, tried to flip it . also not letting me upload next image? keeps reducing the file size allowed?

I would check all connections as a loose or bad connection could be causing this jumpy sound cut out.

What loc are you using?

How is set your LPF ? It seems low, but your picture is difficult to read !

On 1/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

I would check all connections as a loose or bad connection could be causing this jumpy sound cut out.

thanks.i just got back from a week cruise. i will hopefully be able to check things tomorrow.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:12 PM, dolarbilz said:

What loc are you using?

LC2i

On 1/8/2019 at 9:53 AM, ///M5 said:

Play the sub alone and listen to it.

I would be suspect of the settings....any shop that tells you about box rise but forgets to tell you about box fall is confused.  He is just regurgitating something he doesn't understand.  To explain, all drivers have an impedance response and this response can change based on the environment it is mounted in.  This response is a curve, it does not only rise but also falls at differing frequencies.  Subs are specified in thermal and mechanical power handling to deal with both the response of the driver and the box it is in.  Having the installer "scare" you that you aren't getting power because of rise is completely irrelevant.  To make matters worse, implying that you would hear a difference in a 1500w amp as compared to a 1000w is asinine.

Go enjoy your setup.  Your installers comments take with a grain of salt.  Since you have to take them with a grain of salt I personally would double check everything he did.

not too sure how to only play the sub? i have factory setup except for the subwoofer. i don't think i can only play the sub, unless i find out how to disconnect the factory speakers inside stock headunit? the guy seemed to know a decent bit, but yea the box rise comments did somewhat make me question things. also how he mentioned i should use a 300 amp fuse for my amp kit, because i was using 0 guage wire, even though i was only using an amplifier capable of 1000 watts. i asked him to use the 100 amp fuse i supplied him with, and was fine with that. overall he was a really nice dude who knew a good amount of stuff, but i feel like its hard to find someone who is extremely knowledgeable about everything.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:39 AM, Notorious97200 said:

How is set your LPF ? It seems low, but your picture is difficult to read !

i did raise the LPF to a higher number, but forgot to what, i can check tomorrow. also still not sure how to upload new image, my file size limit is only 1.72 mb now, and most pictures are around 3 to 4 mb

Is your factory stereo equipped with a mic that detects road noise and adjust by itself.i know hondas have it.maybe check to see and disconnect it. 

Edited by dolarbilz

On 1/15/2019 at 12:03 PM, dolarbilz said:

Is your factory stereo equipped with a mic that detects road noise and adjust by itself.i know hondas have it.maybe check to see and disconnect it. 

i made sure to disconnect it under the glove box during installation of subwoofer.

okay so it seems to be okay now. the LC2i is very hard to adjust the threshold setting but seems good enough.

some songs, like post malone white iverson the bass lowers during some vocals. may just be the song.... idk. but for now its all good i guess.

subwoofer is great. just the consistency of bass being played is off a bit. i think its due to the LOC

The stock head unit will have a bass attenuation circuit.  It cuts the bass as volune increases.  Nearly EVERY manufacturer does this.  It allows them to safely use shitty speakers.

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

The stock head unit will have a bass attenuation circuit.  It cuts the bass as volune increases.  Nearly EVERY manufacturer does this.  It allows them to safely use shitty speakers.

Is there any way around this? Like a dsp or will it always cut bass no matter what?

8 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

i thought the LOC should fix this issue though? its LC2i with bass "restore" features, in a way it seems to help, but not perfect