Sign in to follow this  
tac2137

Super noob. Add subs without changing headunit?

Hello, I have a 2014 Accord EX-L sedan that comes stock with nav and touch screen and the stock audio system is JUNK! It comes with four 6.5 inch speakers that sound super flat and a 8inch sub that isn’t enough for me. I plan on replacing all speakers but I want to know if I can upgrade my system without changing my stock head unit. If it helps at all I have the 4 channel alpine MRV-F300 amp for speakers and the Sundown SAZ-1500d for my subs. If I can’t upgrade without changing my headunit what would be my best option for better sound?  

I’m having this same problem with my Son’s 17 Chevy Cruze. Hope someone can help us.

if you guys want to stay stock then you will need some form of integration module and a bit of elbow grease! 

https://pac-audio.com/

I have used one of these in the past on my 2010 ford escape it worked fine but I ended up loosing my sync features. but that was also ~5 years ago I'm sure the technology has improved since then. 

Are you interested in running a DSP?  If so there is a slew of options.

4 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Are you interested in running a DSP?  If so there is a slew of options.

I’m not too familiar with DSP

It is a user controled device that lets you fine-tune what frequencies/signals are going to each speaker. Usually controlled from a handheld controller or a laptop/tablet. You would feed a single imput signal of 20-20khz from your head unit into it and the device would allow you to break the signal up from there. 

It is not absolutely necessary, as there are usually crossovers on the amp that will let you narrow the signal down. It is nice though to be able to control everything on the fly from the listening position/driver seat. They also have a more elaborate EQ to work with. Most nowadays will let you EQ each speaker individually.