Florida_Audio

Estimate of cost for sound deadening top of trunk?

So I think the next thing I want to do is reduce the rattle of my trunk due to my subwoofer. I put some foam and heavy duty tape between my license plate and the trunk, which stopped the rattle there easy enough.

But I think most of the rattle in the trunk is from the top of the trunk. Seem to be a common issue? It is my understanding that adding sound deadening materials to the top of the trunk should reduce the rattle quite a bit, and potentially help increase the amount of bass I hear in the front?

But also, wondering which sort of sound deadening material is decently priced and would do a good job? Trying to figure out cost of materials and types of things I would need to install it. Only negative to sound deadening I can think of, is that it adds weight to the car? But should help improve bass a bit?

Thanks!

Deadening the trunk lid may or may not affect how much bass you hear up front.  If you can hear the rattle over the bass then It will clean the sound up at least.

There is a lot of different companies out there with varying prices and quality. If you live in a very hot climate I would suggest avoiding the very cheap stuff, As people report it melts And drips. 

One of the best products on the market is sound deadener showdown. It is highly recommended quite often on this site and other sites as well. 

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

The cheapest option, If you can’t afford the deadener, would be secure a rib or two of structural support onto the underside. Such as a couple cross supports of 1x2 wood, secured with either screws or glue. 

Personally I like to fire the sub into the cabin of the car and alleviate the trunk out of the equation altogether.

SDS is a great option.

I'm not sure if SDS is in business...? Emailed them twice, no reply, can't add products on their website to cart, and even sent a PM to rudeboy on here 2 days ago again zero reply.

If anyone knows whats going on with SDS please let me know. I was planning to have them help me come up with a complete package for my Camaro. Thanks 

11 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Deadening the trunk lid may or may not affect how much bass you hear up front.  If you can hear the rattle over the bass then It will clean the sound up at least.

There is a lot of different companies out there with varying prices and quality. If you live in a very hot climate I would suggest avoiding the very cheap stuff, As people report it melts And drips. 

One of the best products on the market is sound deadener showdown. It is highly recommended quite often on this site and other sites as well. 

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

The cheapest option, If you can’t afford the deadener, would be secure a rib or two of structural support onto the underside. Such as a couple cross supports of 1x2 wood, secured with either screws or glue. 

Personally I like to fire the sub into the cabin of the car and alleviate the trunk out of the equation altogether.

The CLD tiles good for this? Around how many is approximately needed for trunk? Not too expensive?

25 minutes ago, Florida_Audio said:

The CLD tiles good for this? Around how many is approximately needed for trunk? Not too expensive?

Yes. 

I’d guess around 10 or 12 would be sufficient for the lid. 

I personally would buy as many as I could afford. Apply until happy. Then save the rest for the next project if there are leftovers.

ok cool thanks. so probably be around 30 bucks. thats pretty reasonable if it can fix the trunk rattle. i don't hear it at high volumes, but at low volumes i do hear the rattle

2 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

ok cool thanks. so probably be around 30 bucks. thats pretty reasonable if it can fix the trunk rattle. i don't hear it at high volumes, but at low volumes i do hear the rattle

Were you able to order from SDS? I'm trying to do the same but either I can't navigate their website or the site isn't working properly. Hope its working for you.

I just sent Don a message on DIYma to come check out this topic.

8 hours ago, TX98Z28 said:

Were you able to order from SDS? I'm trying to do the same but either I can't navigate their website or the site isn't working properly. Hope its working for you.

I can add to cart yea. but didnt place any orders yet. try a different web browser? firefox, chrome, etc... try from different hardware like phone versus laptop or desktop?

8 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I just sent Don a message on DIYma to come check out this topic.

is Don someone from SDS? thanks for putting the message out for more input :}

I dont see the point in deadening the base of my trunk like ive seen people do? like i dont think it rattles or I hear the rattle there? idk? i feel the major points should be the rear wall of trunk by license plate and the top of the trunk?

16 minutes ago, Florida_Audio said:

I can add to cart yea. but didnt place any orders yet. try a different web browser? firefox, chrome, etc... try from different hardware like phone versus laptop or desktop?

is Don someone from SDS? thanks for putting the message out for more input :}

I dont see the point in deadening the base of my trunk like ive seen people do? like i dont think it rattles or I hear the rattle there? idk? i feel the major points should be the rear wall of trunk by license plate and the top of the trunk?

Thanks man for the tips, I can now add to cart off OSX but concerned to order 80+ CLD tiles and a bunch of MLV etc. when I can't even get an email back or any contact from SDS...

Don is the owner of SDS I believe. I'd personally deaden the trunk base, only gonna take a couple tiles and done, forget about it, thats just me though.

11 hours ago, TX98Z28 said:

Thanks man for the tips, I can now add to cart off OSX but concerned to order 80+ CLD tiles and a bunch of MLV etc. when I can't even get an email back or any contact from SDS...

Don is the owner of SDS I believe. I'd personally deaden the trunk base, only gonna take a couple tiles and done, forget about it, thats just me though.

Yea but why would you deaden the base of trunk? I'm trying to see the benefit to learn.

Once the rattle is inaudible you rapidly pass the point of diminishing returns.  

For learnig purposes. The deadener is not stopping the rattle, but lowering the frequency and amplitude until inaudible.

sure you could pour a layer of concrete in the trunk and get it to almost absolute zero. But that’s waaaay Beyond our human hearing.

Just to note. I have deadened every square inch possible of a car before. I have also had cars with only the key points treated. Both were satisfactorily. The one just gave me more of a warm fuzzy feeling when I lay in bed at night. Not really worth the extra time and money, once I had done it once. As I don’t know if I’d of got the same fuzzy feeling the second time. LOL 

5 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

Yea but why would you deaden the base of trunk? I'm trying to see the benefit to learn.

If it doesn't rattle or bother you in any way then don't deaden it but down the road and more power it could rattle. Me personally I'd add a couple tiles while its all ripped up. Do you need it? Probably not but can't hurt. I'm talking a couple tiles on the bottom not the whole thing.  

Here is low-cost option shipped free that will cover your trunk lid and other areas. Reach out to us at Second Skin anytime via phone (1-800-679-8511), email (service@secondskinaudio.com) or social media pages we will get you the answers without delay for your build. 

Damplifier and Damplifier Pro B Stock USPS Boxes