RadCman7

Need some advice on a new system

I'm not new to car audio just been a few years since I've had to put together a system. I'm getting a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback soon and I'm already planning on getting a little system for it. I'll be taking some components out of my truck and selling off the rest with it.

Headunit is Pioneer AVH-X4700BS

Amp NVX JAD900.5

I have these in my truck now with a Sundown SD-3 10" will sell

I plan to get the NVX V-Series components in 6.5" and the coaxial in 6x8 for the rear door. 

As far as subs I'm not wanting anything large as far as box size/sub size. I loved my SA-8 v1 I had years ago. The amp does 440w at 2ohm which configuration would give me the best output and quality? Not looking to get super loud just a little more than the SD-3 in a down firing box under the back seat. Figured any of these in a ported box would be louder.

2 Sundown SA-6.5

1 SA-8 v3

1 X-8

Welcome to SSA! 

I would go with the D4ohm SA-8, wired to a 2ohm load. Unless you planning on upgrading the amp down the road, then I'd get the X-8. Would only run the 6.5's if mounting space is an issue.

I vote for neither.  The X is ridiculously large for an 8" driver and the SA is not too far off.  They're not horribly efficient drivers either.  Both require at least half a cube for a vented enclosure.  After you add in the vent, the actual  enclosure will be at or more than 1 cube gross.  I'd run a single 12 sealed in that space.  You gain efficiency by the increase in cone area and most likely excursion as well, so you're compounding here. 

I was leaning more to the sa-8, the box shape would need to be long and narrow. I feel like the depth of a decent 12 would have the box much wider. I really liked my sa-8s when I had them. Would the single sa-8 in a ported box be louder than my sd-10 in a sealed on the same power?

I really don't plan on running much more than listed just want something that's going to take up little to no space but still have a little bump.

Get the car, measure out the rear hatch, then come back and discuss enclosure design. My son has a Cruze hatch with similar space and had no problems with a pair of 10s ported and tuned. I’m sure a single ported 12 would have worked also. 

Welcome to SSA !!!

:WELCOME:

10 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

Get the car, measure out the rear hatch, then come back and discuss enclosure design. My son has a Cruze hatch with similar space and had no problems with a pair of 10s ported and tuned. I’m sure a single ported 12 would have worked also. 

Welcome to SSA !!!

I know the car can fit a decent size box. However I'm wanting something smaller that's not going to take up much room, which is why I wanted the 8". Just trying to see out of the subs listed on the 440w would sound the best.

Welcome to SSA.  Can I insert the SSA F8L as an option?  ;)

Also I have a pair of Polk audio db 6.5components and 6.5 coaxial in my truck, would it be worth taking those out and selling the NVX I got? I got the NVX as a gift so not worried about losing on them if the Polks would be better, they are just a few years old if that makes any difference.

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Welcome to SSA.  Can I insert the SSA F8L as an option?  ;)

Nice looking sub just worried like the sa-8 that it will be under powered.

15 minutes ago, RadCman7 said:

It doesn't need gobs of power.  Side note, the SBS Acoustics 8" sub is on sale right now. ;)

12 hours ago, RadCman7 said:

The SA is rated 500 so perfect match. That said, the F8L is the same sensitivity so would have the same SPL on that power. Just glancing at the spec's I would assume the FL8 will play lower/dig deeper . If your into that kind of thing.