Tirefryr

Shallow mount subs? Who's using them.

Well, I'm looking to painlessly install some stuff in my truck  I don't feel like cutting and welding and I MUST retain all of my bed, so the only space available is behind the seat,  I've done some research and the best value to me for my buck seems to be the JL 12TW3.  I was looking at the Alpine Type Rs, but I'm not spending  $600 for one driver. . .   From Alpine. . .   That's just absurd. 

Does anyone have any input or experience with any other brands?

Tw3 are awesome. I’ve been looking at them as well.  I know shallow mounts have come a long way. Perhaps look at just MicroSub stuff it’s nice I have the job cp108lg. 8w3v3 in ported box in regular cab GMC Sierra and sounds good. Would like a bit more but it’s my dads truck. 

What at kind of truck?

Edited by rich00

It's a rusty 94 F-150. 

I've done 3 standard cab installs in my life.  All of them have had severe modification to the sheet metal.  I don't want to go that route here. 

No, I need to keep the bench.  If I was going the console route, I'd use my Ultimax 18.

2 8” will fit behind seat in a ported box.  I used to have one.

They are not as advanced as the JL's, but the American Bass ES series had a great sound in person.

22 hours ago, S.DeYoung said:

Believe it or not, I had one of these in my old GMC.  I was not too impressed with it.

21 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

94 F150 ...

8” drivers in the doors ???

Not in these doors.

20 hours ago, rich00 said:

2 8” will fit behind seat in a ported box.  I used to have one.

Easily, but I won't bother with an 8" unless I absolutely have to.

6 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

They are not as advanced as the JL's, but the American Bass ES series had a great sound in person.

I've emailed and called AB to no avail.  I'm generally just disinterested in a company who puts out a product with insufficient information and when you try to ask for help, you get none.

i swear by the JL 13Tw5's i have installed them in many vehicles and they are hands down the best low pro sub i have ever heard

Going to the JL dealer tomorrow.  Spoke with another old school manufacturer on the phone a little while ago and I really liked what I heard there, so I may go that route.

7 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Not in these doors.

I have the same year ford so I got a good laugh from that one. Flimsy is an understatement.

Wish I had some advice on the subwoofer but have never played with shallow mounts. 

21 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I've emailed and called AB to no avail.  I'm generally just disinterested in a company who puts out a product with insufficient information and when you try to ask for help, you get none.

Totally understand, they are not very strong in that department.

So I visited the JL spot.  Of course the drivers performed well, but I just don't think I am impressed enough to spend $375 per woofer.  They won't budge on price at all.  I don't see these things anywhere, so it's not like they're flying off shelves, and I get the design and patent costs, but I can find more for the buck I think. 

I could never give $375 each. That’s too high. How about the Dayton shallow woofers?  $100 a piece. No idea but this is a 1994 f-150 we speak of after all 

I've used the Daytons before.  I didn't care for them.  Well, I used one at least.  It replaced a Lanzar Neo 12.  Those were basically Illusion Nd ripoffs, but it was $30, so. . .

19 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

I have the same year ford so I got a good laugh from that one. Flimsy is an understatement.

Wish I had some advice on the subwoofer but have never played with shallow mounts. 

I have a spare truck so I can take my time and fab some shit up, but hell if I'm going to do that, I'm just going to cut the cab and float an enclosure in the bed.

13 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I have a spare truck so I can take my time and fab some shit up, but hell if I'm going to do that, I'm just going to cut the cab and float an enclosure in the bed.

Mine is an extended cab Ryan. So I’m not quite familiar with the space you’re working with behind the seat. After modeling a bunch of tens and twelves for door fitment (Yes I’m still dying to do them again), A lot of the moderate throw subs are under 6 inches. Like the Dayton and peerless. 

My other thought was in my 77 ford I built a box that fit up under the seat. Again not sure how open the bottom of your bench is or the shape of the floor.  Just a few thoughts for you though.

My other truck is an extended cab 95.  I'm going to part it out, so let me know if you need something. It is pretty rusty though, so body parts won't be plentiful. 

Ryan, we need updated photos of your current fleet of cars.

I’m trying to locate my pics of Dylan’s 91 Ford F-150 single cab install. 

2 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I’m trying to locate my pics of Dylan’s 91 Ford F-150 single cab install. 

This is going to be real simple.  I just want sound.  I'm not concerned with stage at all.  Just some simple door pods, a component set, and some subs. 

3 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Ryan, we need updated photos of your current fleet of cars.

None of them are pretty aside from the T-bird.

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

None of them are pretty aside from the T-bird.

Who said they had to be pretty? ;)