Tidbit96

Have an isolator related ?

(System: Orion Cobalt 3500.1 w/ Soundqubed HDS 15" 1200RMS Sub & Stinger 80Amp isolator)

Hey y'all, I ain't been on for bit cuz 99% of my system build/install's done, just few small tweaks, but bout to be all finished after installing 2nd batt. & Isolator to hopefully help some dimming & other small electrical anomalies...but, I found myself unfortunately participating in a YouTube comment section debate & began to 2nd guess my choice of isolator size. A YouTuber said his 40Amp isolator did great w/his 2000W amp set up, when a "keyboard cowboy"/YouTube troll stated, "this is impossible cuz watts come from volts x amps & 12x40 is 480 not 2000" I already knew of this "formula" So to speak, but Isn't this idiot just using the wrong Amp # in his calculation? Like my amp has 3 x 40amp fuses equaling 120 & also, don't most charging systems run couple volts over 12 when running? Mine stays between 13.7 - 13.9 til'I crank on the window rattler and start bumping lol... so my ? is, I have a stinger 80Amp isolator for my 2ndary batt. Will this be sufficient for my setup? This fool suddenly caused me to worry this wouldn't be enough to keep my 2ndary batt. Charged enough to correctly power my setup? Can anyone give me there opinions on this? I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Since Im already writing this I may as well ask 1 more ? For my peace of mind. Regarding the 2nd batt. & Isolator install so I know I'm doing it right. I currently use a BASS ROCKER fuse box w/200Amp ANL fuse...So I leave this where it is but run THAT length of PWR to the isolator right, then do I need to fuse the 2nd run of PWR wire going to the 2ndary batt. too? & Then surely I'd need to fuse the 3rd run of wire since IT will then be the final run of PWR going to my Amp correct? Now if this is correct I'll need 2 more fuses/boxes which I have but the extras I have are the cheap round fuse boxes w/100Amp "ANS?" fuses. Are these fuses going to be sufficient for my setup? Is there a better order to put them, like I said the box I'm using is a 200Amp ANL fuse. I thought it might be better if I use it in my last run from 2ndary batt. to Amplifier... & the other 2 x 100Amp fuses in the latter runs...any thoughts? Any advice Id greatly appreciate, fellow bass lovers! Thanks again for all the help Ive received from every SSA forum member during my system build & install....This has always been my favorite audio forum when I need quick, good, & correct solutions to any of my audio issues so thanks everyone & Bump on SSA!

Edited by Tidbit96

Why are you using an isolator?

If your amplifier has 120 amps of fusing, your max fuse in the Audio run in the vehicle should be no more than 120 amps. If you go over max fuse rating, the fuse will not do it’s job. 

Just Saying 

14 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Why are you using an isolator?

Is there a better option? I've always been of the belief that this was, if anything, at the very least, the safest configuration to use when setting up a system that includes a 2ndary battery for it's power source... Am I miss informed? Do you know of a better option? I don't know if I mentioned y Im putting one in, but it's in hopes of fixing some major headlight dimming I'm experiencing at night....is there a different option I could use that might be cheaper or quicker, or easier? Oh & to completely answer your question, I was told that using this isolator will give me the piece of mind that the main engine batt. Will never accidentally be drained for any reason, accident or what so ever....? Do you think I'm missing a better option I could utilize in order to attend to this problem? Thanks for any feedback

5 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

If your amplifier has 120 amps of fusing, your max fuse in the Audio run in the vehicle should be no more than 120 amps. If you go over max fuse rating, the fuse will not do it’s job. 

Just Saying 

Damn thanks for that man lol the messed up part is that I already knew this but I ordered my Bassrocker from Amazon when it was on a major sale so when I received it, like an anxious kid on Christmas Eve I had to IMMEDIATELY go install it to see how it looks & if it'll fit where I'd planned putting it & quite honestly just totally over looked that part... Wasn't even aware of the Fuse size til'shortly after installing it & taking 1 last look at it... I appreciate your advice & for reminding me of something I once had known... I'll have to order a smaller 100Amp ANL fuse for it or something....1 more quick question for you tho...since my amplifier has a total of 120Amperes worth of fuses in it.... does that mean the 100Amp fuse won't be large enough or will 100Amp fuses be sufficient for my setup? Thanks again for that kick in the ass wake up I was apparently in need of lol much appreciated

I’d much rather blow a 100 amp fuse than to burn up an amplifier with an over sized fuse. Honestly, depending on good wiring practices, you should be fine with a 100 amp main line fuse.

An isolator IS ideal given it works properly.  They often leak voltage though, which pretty much makes them worthless.  IF you're truly worried about running them in parallel, just put the auxiliary battery on a manual switch, and open the switch every time you turn the car off.