yayo86

Looking for new front stage drivers.

I currently have the new alpine type x components on my 90mazda b2200 installed on some custom kick panels i made and dont like how they sound. I just purchased 4 10s Savard Rap subs that i plan on installing them in the back space of the seats. So im looking for drivers that could keep up with subs but maybe little more vocal. Im not going for SPL or SQ, something in between. I was thinking of adding 2 5” drivers per door wired down to 4ohm and 2 tweeters per door “ or maybe gonna install in A/C vents” down to 4ohm as well. The amp i have for vocals is a Twisted Sounds 150.4. I was planning on raw drivers madisound or PE, with budget of around 40-70 per driver depending what i need.

Also whats a good enclosure for these subs sealed,vented or bandpass? I would like wedge box, i have 50”w, 19”h,19 bottom depth and about 12-14” top depth.

299C948C-17E8-492D-A25F-0E49D53B5BC6.jpeg

Adding is not the solution.  More will be worse.  What about your current setup don't you like?

The savard website recommends ported or bandpass.  I would go with ported over bandpass myself.

They're site suggests 5 cubic feet ported tuned to 34 hz for 4 of those tens.

Says if you purchased through an authorized dealer they come with enclosure design assistance through the vendor...

https://www.savardspeakersystems.com/rap-10

OMG, I've not heard that name since the 90s.  I was SURE they'd long been out of business. 

What don't you like about the Alpines?  You're looking for loud with 4 ten inch drivers and IMO, that's pretty much going to overwhelm nearly everything else outside of it's passband.

# ///M5. My alpine mids were louder then the tweeters and mids sounded like they were being pushed.

#Tirefryer. They came back few years back. The alpines sound like they are  being pushed and didnt sound good to me. I know by adding 4 10s im not gonna be probably be able to hear the vocals that much, so thats why im looking for other drivers that could keep up but sound clean.

Not sound good and being pushed means new drivers, not adding more.  The more descriptive you are the better we can help.  Would also be good to know how it is all setup.

Generically speaking though more drivers will sound worse, not better.

Yes the drivers are few months old with not that many hours on them since my truck is my project weekend vehicle. I am running them active the mids on ch3,4 and tweeters on ch1,2 but factory crossover for extra protection. I removed the tweeters last week and add my old 4” prv speakers to stock location on lower part of dash. The mids kinda seem like they dont like being sealed on the kick panels.

Have thought about maybe looking at some ported options for them? 

For the mids? Im not sure if i want to miss around making kick panels again too much time. Better at door? Im gonna make some new door panels again. 

Dual crossovers is a terrible idea....although it makes me wonder how the active portion is setup.

Ill install the tweeters tomorrow without the passive crossover and see how they sound. I dont have DSP on my truck just active from amp.

Active from the amp is dangerous...not sure I would go that route.  

I thought itll be fine as long it has the 10x switch?

How are you verifying the crossover points?  Be careful, easy to melt your stuff.  Running active with dials and dip switches on amplifiers IMO shouldn't ever be done.

Good to know. What would be a good affordable dsp? I already have a Bitone but aint gonna use it too many issues with it and dont wanna spend that money anymore.

Dayton DSP-408, DD Audio DSI-2 or Mini-DSP. 

Just a few of the cheaper options of DSP's vs the Helix, JL, Hertz etc.

Relocate the tweeters to the A-Pilars and call it a day bro. 

Looks like the dayton audio might be a good one.

was kinda thinking of adding the tweeter on A pillar or in the A/C vents.

Not adding, moving.  Adding is not the solution.

I don't know how loud are those 10s, but they should blend with your front stage ! It doesn't look like a monster sub setup (I may be wrong though).

The Alpine type X are nice speakers, from what I remember.  What don't you like about them ?

Sometimes a new location can do wonders ! From the door to the A pillars or to the dash, you can have great improvements.

What are your mids in ? a fiberglass box ? If so, it will be difficult to make them sound good ! Can't you use your doors only ? I'm not an installer, just thinking.

You have good speakers, a good 4 ch amp : it's an install problem. You're in good hands with M5.

Good luck.

I didn't want to mess with a PC so I bought a Stetsom STX2436  sound processor because it's controlled and set up with an app for my iPhone.  I paid around $200 for it and am satisfied.  It expects only 2 inputs and has 4 outputs so you can't run three way active.  I use the crossover on the sub amp.  I just checked eBay and saw them for less than $150.

6 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

I didn't want to mess with a PC so I bought a Stetsom STX2436  sound processor because it's controlled and set up with an app for my iPhone.  I paid around $200 for it and am satisfied.  It expects only 2 inputs and has 4 outputs so you can't run three way active.  I use the crossover on the sub amp.  I just checked eBay and saw them for less than $150.

doesn't seem as powerful as the dayton audio dsp which can also be programmed from a phone. I'd recommend buying the remote and bluetooth dongle so $200 all in. 

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500

12 hours ago, lithium said:

doesn't seem as powerful as the dayton audio dsp which can also be programmed from a phone. I'd recommend buying the remote and bluetooth dongle so $200 all in. 

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500

I probably would have gone that route, but Dayton hadn't made their DSP when I bought the Stetsom.  

I purchased some used SSA Evil mids,tweeters and ampere audio 3” mid range last week. Im gonna be adding the tweeters and mid range to the A pillars and mid bass to the doors instead of kick panels. 

The alpines im gonna install in my 4runner or in my pops tacoma.

the dayton audio dsp looks interesting probably well purchased in few weeks.

Hate to say this, but get ready for it to sound worse.  Learning curve on active 3 way is not for the slight of heart.  Will take LOTS of time.