Sign in to follow this  
yayo86

HU or Amp damaging tweeters

Few days ago i went to pick up my suv from my aunts house since ive had it there stored for few months. On my way back i notice my “RE XXX” tweeters stopped playing, so i thought for some reason they got damaged not knowing why when they were playing fine before vehicle being  stored. I removed them and tested them just incase a wire was pinched and they didn’t play so I tossed them. I installed some new alpine type x tweeters yesterday that i pulled out from my truck and tonight on my way to work they stopped playing, it looks like they also got damaged. Im using a pioneer avh x4700bs on active mode, highs setting on 5k,12 slope and have my hertz hdp4 setting on full. I play music between 25-36 out of 40 and gains are half way on amp.

Not a 100% positive, but I would lean towards the HU.  There have been a few people with the large Pioneer units with them causing issues.  Me included.

That sucks. I have this unit for a while now and purchased the amp early last year used, no issues until now.

1 minute ago, yayo86 said:

That sucks. I have this unit for a while now and purchased the amp early last year used, no issues until now.

We have an #SSAFamily member who's similar deck took out 3 of the SSA Evil 65's and damaged the only SSA IC1504 ever to break.

I guess yeah it could be the HU. I have a other pioneer that purchased last year installed on my challenger and on first day it froze for few minutes thin started working. Its done it couple times the first month and was good and froze again last week.

I'm gonna update the firmware on the HU  later and see what happens. If still damaging speakers should I better off purchasing a new deck or install OEM HU and add a DSP? I know Kenwood HU years back were having issue with RCA outputs where they just stopped working and Alpines weren't good either. 

I personally would try to only buy what you have easy access to.  ie, not having to pull out a laptop as that stops progress

Crossed over at 5k ?? Is this manufacturer specs ?? Most tweeters normally set around 3k. 

///M5 I already updated the HU & got some rockford fosgates prime tweeters for now. I turned off the the crossovers on the HU and using the amp settings for now see what happens.

Randal Johnson i always had the tweeters at 3k at first and moved to 5k when installed the prime tweeters but decided to turn off the HU crossovers

So when you buy a pair of tweeters these days, they do not automatically come with protective passive crossovers to use if you’re not running fully active ??? 

Forgive my ignorance on this, I haven’t bought a pair of tweeters in like eight years or something ...

I was running active from HU. Some tweeters do come with caps