Sign in to follow this  
Artichoke14r

Upgrading Current setup

Hello everybody, I currently have a hifonics ZRX1216.1D  It can do 1200w x 1 ohm or 600w x 2 ohm or 400 x 4ohms. I currently have a soundqubed HDS2.1 12" 600W rms subwoofer, I don't remember off the top of my head but I think I have it set up at 1 ohm. Anyway, I'm not sure If I should spend 188$ and get 2 600w rms dual 4 HDS2.1 12"s, or go  with 1 SSA Demon 12" (dual 4 ohm) and eventually end up buying a second SSA Demon down the line. I'm starting to want to get into more quality built subwoofers over just cheap stuff so I really want to go with the demon but im not sure if its really worth it. They are on sale currently though so thats very enticing.  The box i'm currently using, i know i'll get flamed for this but its an old vented Kicker box designed for 2 12" compS subwoofers that I sealed off 1 hole.  This is a trunk build btw, 07 chevy impala. 

edit: Wow, noob mistake, I could of swore I was in the subwoofer/speaker section. Didn't mean to post this in the amp part of the forum :/ 

Edited by Artichoke14r

What are the specs of the current enclosure? The enclosure contributes the most to the frequency response and performance of the subwoofer

1 hour ago, lithium said:

What are the specs of the current enclosure? The enclosure contributes the most to the frequency response and performance of the subwoofer

I uploaded an image of a box that is basically the same dimensions just instead of a round port its a big slot port.  I can't really find any information on the box other than it came with 2 300w rms kicker 12s" 

dimensions.jpg

I think you should go out and measure that box. We would need overall dimensions of the box, wood thickness, and dimensions of the port. Pictures would also help. We could model your driver in that box to see if its performing anywhere close to what it should be. Most people new to audio don't realize how much the enclosure determines performance and I doubt that your current enclosure is in any way compatible to your subwoofer. 

24 minutes ago, lithium said:

I think you should go out and measure that box. We would need overall dimensions of the box, wood thickness, and dimensions of the port. Pictures would also help. We could model your driver in that box to see if its performing anywhere close to what it should be. Most people new to audio don't realize how much the enclosure determines performance and I doubt that your current enclosure is in any way compatible to your subwoofer. 

You're absolutely correct when you say that box is completely incompatible with my current sub woofer.  My fathers a wood worker and hes already drawn this up in CAD for me. Their site says that design is tuned for 35hz and it should probably fix my issue. I'll have this complete by the end of the weekend most likely and i'll post updates. 

12-Single-Ported (1).jpg

Looking forward to the updates!  Enclosure looks much better.  I didn't double check the math, but it seems reasonable.

Simultaneously communicating via email.