cjandtricia

Help with sundown subwoofer

I am currently running a single sundown sa-8 under my rear seat in my truck. Dual 2 ohm voice coils. Powering it with a us amps md -1d At 4 ohms.  I want a little more and was debating about buying a Memphis mojo 8” to fit in same box so I could wire it down to 1 ohm to get more juice from the amplifier. The mojo Is rated at 900 w rms 1800 max(stated on website). The amp pushes 1200 w at 1 ohm. (Claimed)  the sundown is rated around 500 rms. Any suggestions on which route to go? Is the Memphis better then the sundown? 

?? 

My first thought was to wire the sundown to 1 ohm pushing over 1000 watts from the us amps amplifier but I’m pretty sure that would destroy the sub. Box is .52 cu. feet as recommended by sundown

You're not going to gain anything.  Save your time and money for something better.  IF you were competing, you could possibly notice a difference on the mic, but it's negligible if anything by ear.

Agreed.

Thanks guys. Do either of you believe the Memphis mojo is better than my current sundown sa-8?

My first thought was to wire the sundown to 1 ohm pushing over 1000 watts from the us amps amplifier but I’m pretty sure that would destroy the sub. Box is .52 cu. feet as recommended by sundown

download winisd and model the two subwoofers in their optimal enclosure. 

Edited by lithium

I'm assuming your running sealed, but every sundown sub I've ever seen has been ported and tuned. Maybe a new ported and tuned enclosure may be what you need verses swapping gear. Just an Observation.

I would love to find a ported box that would hold this 8” woofer and fit under the rear seat . Boxes are hard to come by for this truck for an 8” sub. And I’ve never done a custom enclosure with fiberglass. Any box I’ve ever built was a trunk enclosure. This is a sealed box made by ground shaker

Thanks guys. Do either of you believe the Memphis mojo is better than my current sundown sa-8?

What truck?

Just now, Tirefryr said:

What truck?

Also, just swapping to a different driver will not help, even if you double the power.  It will be negligible uf so and is nothing more than an experiment at best.  

Let's work on making what you have now perform better.