Armoto286

Need tuning opinions

What up guy's! So, I need some tuning help/opinions. Vehicle is a 1996 jeep grand cherokee. I have a pair of evil 6.5's, and a pair of evil 1 tweets running off a nvx jad 800.4. Also, have a dayton dsp408. Midbass is mounted in stock location in the doors. Doors are deadened and sealed of as best as I could. Haven't fully installed tweeters yet, but they are wired up. Stock location for tweeters are in the dash. Is this a bad spot for the evils, or is there maybe somewhere better for them? Also, was wondering if anyone had crossover suggestions for the evil mids and tweets. I'm really not sure what steps I need to take as far as the tuning goes. Any opinions are welcome. I need them lol

Generally you would want to try a few location and aiming directions before permanently mounting the tweeters. If you have limited mounting options or fabrication ability some of those options might not work out but its best to try.  Try something like blue tack to temporarily mount the tweeters while you play around.  I haven't played with these drivers in a vehicle yet so idk where to start with Xovers, I expect Aaron will chime in when he sees this thread. 

Do you have a sub?  If not, you might start just running them wide open.  The limit is going to be excursion on low notes.  They simply do not need a lot of power either.  Very efficient!  Personally, I would high pass almost near 70, and just let them run open on top.  The midrange on these is incredible.  This will allow you to cross the tweet higher.  Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Evil tweets.  I'm a planar snob.

A good starting crossover point for the tweeters is 3000 htz with a 12 db slope.

A good starting point for the mids is high pass 2600 htz with a 12 db slope and low pass 70 htz with a 12 db slope.

Hope this helps.

Thanks ma

n. I have a few placement options. I might try in the dash facing windshield and the pillars I suppose.

Nope no sub, but I plan on it. I noticed the evils don't like playing low. Not sure where they bottom at...but I've got the mids at 80hz hpf at 24db slope now and without eq my passenger side mid will bottom on some songs. That's why I was wondering if I have the crossovers set wrong. Did they bottom from playing too low or are they bottoming a little higher? Like 100-140hz?

19 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

A good starting crossover point for the tweeters is 3000 htz with a 12 db slope.

A good starting point for the mids is high pass 2600 htz with a 12 db slope and low pass 70 htz with a 12 db slope.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the  info man. Either my doors aren't sealed up good enough or My gain is too high. I will try 70hz, but I think they'll bottom. I'll give those crossover points a try and see how it sounds. Should I have all eq and time alignment flat when changing crossovers?

did you build a solid baffle (speaker mounting ring)?

21 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

Hope this helps.

You've got your mid network backwards.

They are some plastic spacers i got from a audio shop. I put foam tape behind the speaker flange and behind the spacer. It seemed sturdy enough.

10 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the crossovers are switched?

He reversed high and low pass.  I don't agree with starting points either.  Use your ears on a single mid and step down/up. On the tweeters  you should start conservative and walk down until it "complains".  The first goal is to understand the limits of your install.  Until you do that I wouldn't "start" listening to anything.  Once that is done listen to the mids alone and figure out how they sound best, then the tweets and then together.  Don't forget to try every phase variation as well.

11 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

My bad brother. Had other shit on my mind when I was reading and posting stuff. I stand corrected Sir. Thank you. 

9 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

My bad brother. Had other shit on my mind when I was reading and posting stuff. I stand corrected Sir. Thank you. 

That's my whole week.  It's been fun to say the least. 

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

He reversed high and low pass.  I don't agree with starting points either.  Use your ears on a single mid and step down/up. On the tweeters  you should start conservative and walk down until it "complains".  The first goal is to understand the limits of your install.  Until you do that I wouldn't "start" listening to anything.  Once that is done listen to the mids alone and figure out how they sound best, then the tweets and then together.  Don't forget to try every phase variation as well.

Thanks for the help man. Alright I will try that out. It's very easy to isolate speakers with the dayton dsp, which is super nice. Something I was not even thinking about before starting this post, is output level on each channel on the dayton dsp. I realized I have the outputs to each speaker maxed out. Also, noticed I can turn the amps gain all the way down and still get decent output out of the headunit @26 out of 35. Are my outputs on the dsp too high? 

Depends on the amp and what input it can deal with.  If you clip the input stage it won't sound good.  On the other hand if you turn the gain up too much you will hear thermal noise.

Makes sense. Is it possible to set a dsp's output level with a multimeter, like you can do on an amp? 

Not necessary.  Use your ears.  If you aren't yet familiar with distortion force it to happen at lower levels and listen.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, ///M5 said:

Not necessary.  Use your ears.  If you aren't yet familiar with distortion force it to happen at lower levels and listen.

Alright I'll give it a try. Yeah, I'm not yet familiar with hearing distortion so I will just have to listen closely lol