selftc

most musical enclosure for Sundown SA-8

i still have two new Sundown Audio SA-8v3 subs left over from a previous project.  i would like to re-purpose them for my daily driver which is sq focused.  can the SA-8 be musical ?  if so, how do i accomplish this without switching them out for something different.  Sundown website states sealed enclosures are not recommended.  local dealer tells me that once you port the SA series, they become more spl oriented subs. 

sound quality mostly corresponds to the frequency response of the total system. Model the subwoofers in an enclosure that isn't particulaly peaky and use EQ to correct in situ. Make sure the midbass drivers can meet up the subwoofers (front stage is more important then subwoofers in SQ installs). 

11 hours ago, lithium said:

sound quality mostly corresponds to the frequency response of the total system. Model the subwoofers in an enclosure that isn't particulaly peaky and use EQ to correct in situ. Make sure the midbass drivers can meet up the subwoofers (front stage is more important then subwoofers in SQ installs). 

yes, i completely agree with you litium.  i made sealed pods for my DynAudio MW172 8" midbass drivers, to help with frequency response.  with some music, the midbass in my truck will tickle the hair on my legs.  increasing midbass also greatly reduced sub localization for me.  a few years ago i used to be a MECA sq competitor (modified class).

is winSID still the preferred (by most) method to model ?  i hate that program.  never really got a good handle on using it.

thx for your input lithium ! ! !

Sub and SQ is almost a misnomer.  Build a well built enclosure that is tuned relatively low and they will do just fine.  The trick on SQ will be getting them to blend with the rest.  

ie, the challenge is always midbass not sub bass.  Sounds like you have a super good start on that though!

Guest moosix

Inveterate car enthusiasts, I need to install 16.5 speakers in the front and rear doors. A well-known fact is, that for a normal installation I need a podium. So I want to get to know its dimensions (the size of the gap between metal doors and plastic covering). Guys, removing the trim and regular speaker, putting the trim, working with a caliper, aren`t an option for me, okay? It`s a waste of time, `cause I know there are resources with such dimensions, people fixed when installing or making the podiums. Maybe I can find smth here https://soundrating.com/best-6x9-speakers/ or you can advise me the top list on 6.5-inch speakers?

Edited by moosix

5 hours ago, moosix said:

Inveterate car enthusiasts, I need to install 16.5 speakers in the front and rear doors. A well-known fact is, that for a normal installation I need a podium. So I want to get to know its dimensions (the size of the gap between metal doors and plastic covering). Guys, removing the trim and regular speaker, putting the trim, working with a caliper, aren`t an option for me, okay? It`s a waste of time, `cause I know there are resources with such dimensions, people fixed when installing or making the podiums. Maybe I can find smth here https://soundrating.com/best-6x9-speakers/ or you can advise me the top list on 6.5-inch speakers?

Might want to start a new topic.