tejcurrent

2 BTL 18s

Over the past year alone I have been through almost a half dozen systems in the constant quest to find a sub that was not only loud, but sounded decent doing so. I've owned Alpine, Kicker, and many other brands in between. I would only purchase one sub at a time in order to decide if it was worth buying more than one, and I never bought more than one. I had never owned an 18 inch woofer, and having owned 10s, 12s, and 15s, I wanted to try the next biggest step, especially since my 99 Yukon had the room to accomodate the system.

After I had placed my order for an 18" dual 2ohm BTL with cooling, 3rdMagnet, and HiXmCoil, I began to beef up my electrical system in anticipation. I already had a single Hifonics Brutus bxi2006d, and figured it should be sufficient after electrical upgrades (I found out later I was wrong).

I put in a 200amp Powermaster Alternator and an Optima yellowtop to keep the starting battery company. I Ran 1/0 guage to the back after doing the 'big 3' upgrade, and put in a 3rd battery under the rear seat. I wanted to have the box built so I could have the sub in as soon as it arrived, so I started to build that as well.

I decided to go for the simplest box I could make, so I just made a rear firing box with 8 cubic feet net tuned to about 35hz. Here is a picture of the sub in the enclosure. I only used a single sheet of mdf for the faceplate, and you can see it flexed enough to actually blow the rubber gasket from under the sub.

This was a picture of me holding the sub to give you an idea of how large it is.

menbtlrl0.jpg

25089343fulleq5.jpg

This is how big it is compared to my alpine type-x 12

btl1kn4.jpg

About 10 days after I placed my order it came in the mail.

That night I had it in my yukon and started playing it. The hit it delivered amazed me, it was sooo accurate compared to the L7 15 I had just before, and even rivaled the detail and clarity of the type-x. I listened to some rock and enjoyed the way it sounded, then pulled out some Young Jeezy to see what it would do. WOW, at a low volume it started tickling my nose and shaking things. As I cranked it up it became uncomfortable to sit in the car. I did my first hair trick that evening, and was very happy to say the least. After metering this setup I found out it was hitting about 148dbs @ 42hz, and still 145.x @ 32hz. The strength on the deep notes was amazing to say the least, so about a month or 2 later I put in my order for my 2nd btl 18, and ordered a 2nd bxi2006d. After asking around I decided to make 2 CRX style boxes (7.5cubes net each tuned @ 35hz) so that I could remove one at a time for work. I also used 3/8" bolts for the terminals to prevent leaks and make a good solid connection that I could interchange the connection from 1ohm, to 4ohms easily.

dsc00558es4.jpg

I tested just the one btl I already had in the new box and my score went up to about 149.x @ 42hz. In the building process I ran out of carpet, so I only covered one of the boxes, and as soon as the 2nd sub came in I put it in there. With 4kwatts rms going to 2 BTLs, it was by far the loudest vehicle I'd ever owned, and the loudest 2 subs I've ever heard. With my window all the way down I was able to get a good hair trick going, and figured it was time to get metered. At 42hz I was hitting just under 151dbs. To say the least I was pleased, but when I found out I was doing 149.8 @ 32hz, I was very happy with the increase. The lows are so strong you can watch your vision blur and feel the air move in and out of your lungs. These things really pounded.

This is by far the best setup I've ever had, and aside from 1 or 2 others that cost in the 5 digits, it's one of the best I've ever heard.

dsc00555qd6.jpg

dsc00556mf1.jpg

I know, the cars dirty.

dsc00557va2.jpg

dsc00561hk8.jpg

dsc00558es4.jpg

This is a really bad image of how I set up the boxes, just with the subs where I plan on making them in the future.

junkbox3vt4.jpg

Edited by tejcurrent

I added your writeup to the BTL information section, very well done.

Now i have a question, what, if anything, do you not like about either the subs, or your experience thus far with us?

Thanks!

-Nick

Could you add it to the review section also? Want to get a nice collection going in there.

I was going to add to the good/bad/ugly post, but I'll just put here. I've been trying to think of something, and I'm having a very hard time.

You guys are always on top of any question within hours (or often less) of it being posted, you don't have a demeaning attitude to inexperienced newcomers like many other companies, and you're easy to get in touch with.

Your sub is even better than I expected, and while I haven't had experience with all of the lines, I do have experience with your 'flagship' sub, and it is fantastic. It does exactly what I wanted, and sounds much better than I anticipated. Given, I'd like to have better SQ, but it's a driver meant to get loud, not win sq comps, and it STILL sounds great. I haven't found a sealed/ported sub or box that didn't sound boomy in my Yukon.

Shipping was between one and two weeks for both to ship a 70lb box from Las Vegas to Myrtle Beach, and being that you hand make each one to order, its kinda like waiting at Outback for your steak- its worth it (I'm partial to outback too...).

Customer service gets 10/10

Shipping time get 9/10

Product 10/10

SPL 10/10

SQ 8.5/10 (taking into account its not meant for SQ)

Best sounding SPL driver I've ever heard, and it will handle so much power, whats not to love.

Over all I'd give it 10/10.

I would complain that I want free stuff, but now it looks like you guys are giving that out too. ;)

I have had the best experience with your company and subs I've ever had with any company or product ever, hands down. So no, I just can't say anything negative!

148 @ 42hz and 145 @ 32hz..noway just only a 3db drop from 42 to 32..was u metered on the TL?

I'm sorry, I forgot about this thread, but I guess it's been resurected :P

No, it was a new a/c. There is NO ONE with a T/L around me-I've been to all the shops.

I have to wait for a comp to get some t/l #s, (another week or two) about 2 hours away.

Since then I have upgraded to Memphis 4ks (one on each sub) and it made all the difference. I don't know what I'm hitting on a t/l yet, but I will post once I find out (July 4th I believe). Even the A/C mics the shops around me had have been stolen! After that I have a little over a month to get the 2 more btl 18s and 2 more memphis 4ks I want, and install them in a nice looking enclosure for the Funk Master Flex show we have here at the beach. I'd like to really rep Fi for that show, so hopefully it'll all come together in time.

After that I have a little over a month to get the 2 more btl 18s and 2 more memphis 4ks I want, and install them in a nice looking enclosure for the Funk Master Flex show we have here at the beach. I'd like to really rep Fi for that show, so hopefully it'll all come together in time.

TEj videos of the "addition" to your family and what it does to your car.... Or i will start a "ban Tej" campaign on the forums :domoslay:

148 @ 42hz and 145 @ 32hz..noway just only a 3db drop from 42 to 32..was u metered on the TL?

Actually Josh, it is quite possible depending of the vehicle and tuning of the enclosure.

VERY impressive daily set up and nice to hear your comments on the SQ of the BTL's and most buy them to get loud and neve say a word about how they sound for daily.

Alan, 2 years old.

Wow, this is definitely back from the dead there. I believe on factory alt and 4 optima yellowtops this setup did around 152.8 or so at 42hz. This was with hellacious voltage drop (which the mcd-4kws did not like).

I added 2 more 18s and 2 more amps and with things no where near turned up and <11v drops my highest score was around 155.6 @ 32hz.

I'm still very happy with the subs, I had to change my setup around a lot and I'm hoping to switch to the 22s when they are released. Just playing the waiting game now.

Just a few vids since someone asked. I don't have this setup anymore though, still sticking with Fi though.

Most power I ever had running in the 2nd vid, and that's with all four amps :(

I did, but then I downsized. I figure 2 22s till I can get a vehicle that will fit 4 without a wall :D

Just waiting on them to be released and enjoying the cargo room lol.

I'm looking at the new BTL's right now on the Fi website.. is the third magnet standard now? I've read all the tech specs on the BTL's and none of the options include a third magnet. And on the home page of all the subwoofer lines, it doesn't state the number of magents for the BTL's. It does say that the BL's have two, but nothing about the BTL's. CONFUSED!!!!! :WTFBubble:

I'm looking at the new BTL's right now on the Fi website.. is the third magnet standard now? I've read all the tech specs on the BTL's and none of the options include a third magnet. And on the home page of all the subwoofer lines, it doesn't state the number of magents for the BTL's. It does say that the BL's have two, but nothing about the BTL's. CONFUSED!!!!! :WTFBubble:

that is the old btl the new one has a single slug magnet

that is the old btl the new one has a single slug magnet

Exactly. They stopped the 3 slug design a while back, the new BTLs have a single slug that is supposed to be stronger.

Over the past year alone I have been through almost a half dozen systems in the constant quest to find a sub that was not only loud, but sounded decent doing so. I've owned Alpine, Kicker, and many other brands in between. I would only purchase one sub at a time in order to decide if it was worth buying more than one, and I never bought more than one. I had never owned an 18 inch woofer, and having owned 10s, 12s, and 15s, I wanted to try the next biggest step, especially since my 99 Yukon had the room to accomodate the system.

After I had placed my order for an 18" dual 2ohm BTL with cooling, 3rdMagnet, and HiXmCoil, I began to beef up my electrical system in anticipation. I already had a single Hifonics Brutus bxi2006d, and figured it should be sufficient after electrical upgrades (I found out later I was wrong).

I put in a 200amp Powermaster Alternator and an Optima yellowtop to keep the starting battery company. I Ran 1/0 guage to the back after doing the 'big 3' upgrade, and put in a 3rd battery under the rear seat. I wanted to have the box built so I could have the sub in as soon as it arrived, so I started to build that as well.

I decided to go for the simplest box I could make, so I just made a rear firing box with 8 cubic feet net tuned to about 35hz. Here is a picture of the sub in the enclosure. I only used a single sheet of mdf for the faceplate, and you can see it flexed enough to actually blow the rubber gasket from under the sub.

This was a picture of me holding the sub to give you an idea of how large it is.

menbtlrl0.jpg

25089343fulleq5.jpg

This is how big it is compared to my alpine type-x 12

btl1kn4.jpg

About 10 days after I placed my order it came in the mail.

That night I had it in my yukon and started playing it. The hit it delivered amazed me, it was sooo accurate compared to the L7 15 I had just before, and even rivaled the detail and clarity of the type-x. I listened to some rock and enjoyed the way it sounded, then pulled out some Young Jeezy to see what it would do. WOW, at a low volume it started tickling my nose and shaking things. As I cranked it up it became uncomfortable to sit in the car. I did my first hair trick that evening, and was very happy to say the least. After metering this setup I found out it was hitting about 148dbs @ 42hz, and still 145.x @ 32hz. The strength on the deep notes was amazing to say the least, so about a month or 2 later I put in my order for my 2nd btl 18, and ordered a 2nd bxi2006d. After asking around I decided to make 2 CRX style boxes (7.5cubes net each tuned @ 35hz) so that I could remove one at a time for work. I also used 3/8" bolts for the terminals to prevent leaks and make a good solid connection that I could interchange the connection from 1ohm, to 4ohms easily.

dsc00558es4.jpg

I tested just the one btl I already had in the new box and my score went up to about 149.x @ 42hz. In the building process I ran out of carpet, so I only covered one of the boxes, and as soon as the 2nd sub came in I put it in there. With 4kwatts rms going to 2 BTLs, it was by far the loudest vehicle I'd ever owned, and the loudest 2 subs I've ever heard. With my window all the way down I was able to get a good hair trick going, and figured it was time to get metered. At 42hz I was hitting just under 151dbs. To say the least I was pleased, but when I found out I was doing 149.8 @ 32hz, I was very happy with the increase. The lows are so strong you can watch your vision blur and feel the air move in and out of your lungs. These things really pounded.

This is by far the best setup I've ever had, and aside from 1 or 2 others that cost in the 5 digits, it's one of the best I've ever heard.

dsc00555qd6.jpg

dsc00556mf1.jpg

I know, the cars dirty.

dsc00557va2.jpg

dsc00561hk8.jpg

dsc00558es4.jpg

This is a really bad image of how I set up the boxes, just with the subs where I plan on making them in the future.

junkbox3vt4.jpg

What where the specs on the first box you built ? like L - W - H