Sign in to follow this  
cjj2d

getting irritated with my Tantrum

I am getting very irritated with my PG Tantrum. I have not had it in long at all. And this thing is suppose to put out 1507 watts (by BS). Well my PPI PC2150 does alot better on my Magnum than the PG. I do not get it. I put my Mag in a 2 cube sealed box and still does not help it. I had the Tantrum turned about 3/4 the way up, the ssf on about 30, the crossover on about 80hz, and the bass boost barely up at all and my PPI out does this amp. Everyone kept telling me it had to be a setting on the amp so I gradualy turned it up a little more, and yes I was getting some major movement out of the sub at high volumes but at volumes of 21 and less (Alpine HU) it was like there was no sub, and the Mag started to pop on my tantrum at high volume, which REALLY suprised me. so I have taken my Tantrum out till I can think of anything that can get it performing right. And am back to my PPI PC2150.

anyone with any input please add some.

whoa, isn't that ppi only like 600w? or a lil more?

And I know the Tantrums put out their rated power, somethin must be wrong with that amp or something?

And put that badboy in a ported enclosure. Singel Sealed woofers don't get THAT loud.

My e12A ported with 1200w didn't get THAT loud and it was probably louder than your sealed Mangum (only cause it was ported)

I'm never satisfied with single sealed subs, even 15's. But if the PPI is stronger there is something wrong with that amp.

oh wait alpine head unit? Alpines need their sub setting to be on +15 to get 4v make sure its up all the way. And maybe the Tantrum has low sensativity and needs the gain

turned all the way up.

oh wait alpine head unit? Alpines need their sub setting to be on +15 to get 4v make sure its up all the way. And maybe the Tantrum has low sensativity and needs the gain

turned all the way up.

I have never had to have the sub level all the way up to 15. I did have it in a ported box but took up EVERY inch of my trunk. I am going to get a second Mag soon but I am still curious why I am not getting my amp going good.

You know, I had a similar probelm with an old Crossfire amp. Turns out the connection on the RCA chassis was loose, and I was only getting signal from the left side. You might want to try wiggling the RCAs and see if it helps. If so, there's your culprit. A little solder and a new connector and you're golden.

Well if you swapped out amps and your 600 watt PPI out-performs your 1400 watt PG, I think it's safe to say that there is something wrong with the PG. ...sounds like an internal problem if all of your connections are good.

1) turn off SSF

2) turn sub out to +15

3) you went from ported to sealed, correct? You may be expecting too much out of it sealed.

4)If you can get the sub to make audible sounds of stress, its safe to say that you're pushing it to its limits.

5) That power rating is not BS.

Edited by k-mart

I have the sub wired to 4 ohms. It is not that I am expecting too much out of the sub, cause even when I had it in a ported box I had this problem. I think something may be wrong with the amp, even though I just bought it.

I just don't see why I am not getting much power out of my Tantrum at low volumes. I get plenty out of my PPI at low and high volumes.

I think I found the problem. I am only getting 12volts to my amps. I checked it the other day and I was getting 14, but that was with my dad's half broken meter.

So I am assuming that I am not getting full power unless I get my Tantrum to a 14 volt load.

Why is my cap not putting out 14 volts?? I thought that is what they are suppose to do. Well guess it is time for a new battery/alt.

just because ur getting 12 volts wouldnt be the problem of why ur not getting loud at low-medium volumes

just because ur getting 12 volts wouldnt be the problem of why ur not getting loud at low-medium volumes

What he said.

are you sure cause at 12 volts the amp is not putting out near the rated power at 14 volts.

O well, I will keep trying meanwhile I have my PPI PC2150 on my Mag and for only giving it ~600 watts it is a very impressive combo. I love these PPI amps.

Would it be ok to put one PPI PC2150 on each voice coil? (two amps on one sub) I have another I can use also.

Would it be ok to put one PPI PC2150 on each voice coil? (two amps on one sub) I have another I can use also.

Yes, but the gains MUST be matched EXACTLY to put out the same exact amount of power to each coil. Just even the slightest bit off and you can kiss your sub goodbye. AKA: The gains need to be set professionally with a volt meter to each other. It's very very tricky, but it can be done.

using a volt meter, would you put the volt meter on the speaker terminals and adjust the gain till a certain volt, then the same on the second. Or am I way off here?

I will probably hold off on the two amps, don't want to mess this sub up. Is that 1 15 stilll left???

from every thing I have read, and from what Dave edwards said, the tantrum is a beast of an amp, but it is a current hog, so you might need up beef up the electrical a little