Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dock

I need help or opinions please

Guest Dock

Hello everybody I need help on selecting subwoofers for my setup. I finally saved up enough lunch money to do it. I just can't decide on what subs to get. I've broke it down to 4 subs. 

1. Fi Q ferrite 12's @ 1750rms

2. Sundown U serious 12's @1500rms

3. Soundqubed Hdx3.1 12's @1500rms

4. Skar zvx v2 12's @1500rms

I have all the electrical and a H/O alternator to run everything I just can't make up my mind. Can someone please get me over the hump? Thanks for your time.

Welcome to SSA.

First question is what is your goals, and what is your power?

Second, remove #4 from your list. 

Guest Dock

I have a Wolfram 3k for the subs and a wolfram 125.4 4 channel for the door speakers. What do you mean about my goals? I don't really have any goals I'm just a basshead trying to spend my hard earned money on a decent setup. And damn is skar really that bad?

We put Skar 10s in my son’s car. Wasn’t impressed at all. They were replaced in a timely manner.

Guest Dock

Ok thanks for the info Randal. I'm going to take Aaron's advice and just cross them off the list.

We dropped them from the SSA store due to many issues and questionable company moves.

Moving forward, I ask about goals as if your goals are just to simply get loud, or aim for some clarity.  Of the 3 remaining options, the Fi Q is the best all around sub, plus it is made in the USA, plus you can selection options to suit your install needs.  But, be prepared to wait a long time before it ships.

Guest Dock

Oh ok gotcha. My goal is to have a spl build. I want to upgrade to the Wolfram 4.5k but I don't know if my electrical can take it. I have a ces 270amp alternator and 2 xs power d3400 batteries. One for under the hood and the other for the trunk. I'm thinking I should get one more d3400 before I upgrade to the 4.5k.

Yep.  Kill the skarbage.  With your goals the Q isn't the right Fi either.  I would also add SSA to the list...

Honestly, I think you could’ve done better with amplifier choices too ... just Saying 

Guest Dock
33 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Yep.  Kill the skarbage.  With your goals the Q isn't the right Fi either.  I would also add SSA to the list...

Ok thanks M5 I'm checking them out now.

Guest Dock
18 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Honestly, I think you could’ve done better with amplifier choices too ... just Saying 

What's wrong with Wolfram?

1 hour ago, Dock said:

What's wrong with Wolfram?

As a SPL competitor, just never been a fan. They’re from what I hear a decent daily bass setup, but nothing to take punishment of a SPL meter. 

I think something a little more suited for this application in that power range that can favor the high output goals: 

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/death-row-12-1500w-subwoofer-by-incriminator-audio/

I may be biased as it on the SSA store, but it still is an outstanding choice that aligns with the goals.  If you are planning to up the power soon, my vote would then move to something like our SSA Zcon.

Guest Dock
7 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I think something a little more suited for this application in that power range that can favor the high output goals: 

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/death-row-12-1500w-subwoofer-by-incriminator-audio/

I may be biased as it on the SSA store, but it still is an outstanding choice that aligns with the goals.  If you are planning to up the power soon, my vote would then move to something like our SSA Zcon.

How is the death row on the lows? I don't see it as you being biased I just see it as SSA sells quality subs and you just happen to work there.

SSA is well proven in SPL competition. In my opinion, they are all that and a bag of chips for the money brother.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, Dock said:

How is the death row on the lows?

Lows and your goals from above aren't exactly in alignment.  Perhaps stating your desires more specifically would help.  SPL by definition is playing one note as loud as possible with little care for the rest.  It is never the ultra low either.  Hard to know how to help...

Most of these big time subs (if you take a quick peak into their specs) can cover the lowest of octaves well.  But that is heavily dependent on the install.  Usually enclosures built large and tuned low, thrive in that goal, but are not the best for SPL numbers.  Usually SPL goals swing the other way with the box size and tuning.