Sign in to follow this  
Windrunner

How much amperage/load can 4AWG take?!

Alright guys, quick question. Maybe a stupid one, but I would appreciate some solid feedback.

So, I am currently running an SAE-50.4 (2 ohms per channel) & an SAE-600D (1 ohm). The big 3 and all other power cable is 4AWG OFC, and I also have an XP750 AGM as my supplemental.

I am going to be upgrading to an SAE-1000D v2 pretty soon, and I would like to know if my 4AWG is going to be enough to support the current required to run the system. I estimate the current load the cable can support, at the length of runs I have (10-12ft), is somewhere around 160-170A. As it stands, the maximum current draw will be 150A, worst case scenario.

Should I spend more on power cable for this install, or should I be good pushing this power?

Myself, I would want to go to a larger cable for 150 amps.  I know there used to be a good length/current draw chart floating around.  Just can't remember where I saw it.

I would suggest using at least 2 awg but then for the cost, may as well just run 0 awg.

39 minutes ago, nigel said:

Myself, I would want to go to a larger cable for 150 amps.  I know there used to be a good length/current draw chart floating around.  Just can't remember where I saw it.

I would suggest using at least 2 awg but then for the cost, may as well just run 0 awg.

Appreciate the feedback. I was thinking the same thing, but just because it's already there, I might just add another run of 4 AWG. Save a buck or two.

Gauge-Chart.jpg

And here comes Aaron with the chart I was looking for.

And by the looks of it, min 2 Ga for 15 ft @ 150 amps

2 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

YOU ARE THE MAN! 
Thank you sir! I google the chart, but it just wouldn't come up. Appreciate you man.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:04 PM, Windrunner said:

YOU ARE THE MAN! 
Thank you sir! I google the chart, but it just wouldn't come up. Appreciate you man.

No problem. :)