Jeremy90

Bracing and sealing sunroof without welding

Can this be done without welding i want to put 6 18s in a 6th order inside a escalade esv but im worried about the sunroof 

10 hours ago, Jeremy90 said:

Can this be done without welding i want to put 6 18s in a 6th order inside a escalade esv but im worried about the sunroof 

You may be able to seal the sunroof with butyl rope/tape. 

Without welding, you're only options are panel adhesive, or mechanical fastening.

A pole will help a lot.  But then you will have to address the glass.

@Joshdashef Yes, fill the entire outline of the sunroof with high-quality butyl rope. Then apply the sheets of butyl with foil on top of that with half of the sheet going over the metal area and half the sheet on the sunroof glass. Damplifier products will stick to glass, I don't know if other products do as well, but they should if they have good bonding properties. 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, Second Skin said:

@Joshdashef Yes, fill the entire outline of the sunroof with high-quality butyl rope. Then apply the sheets of butyl with foil on top of that with half of the sheet going over the metal area and half the sheet on the sunroof glass. Damplifier products will stick to glass, I don't know if other products do as well, but they should if they have good bonding properties. 

:+1: 

Just found a video about this. Welding with some body filler would maintain a factory look but this method might get you close enough if you matched paint to factory.

Apply a sealant under the aluminum panel between the factory hood and panel, then apply some kind of sealant on the inside of the car as well. Apply deadener all around the piece, making sure to overlap the factory hood and aftermarket panel. Should get you pretty close to a perfect seal without welding. Lots of time and labor though... 

Perfect video, I like it