SpaceKing

Decisions, Decisions... Nightshade, FI SP4 Plus, SSA

Hello everybody. I'm trying to build a small, powerful setup in my 2016 Silverado doublecab. I want to run 1 woofer. Breaking it in on ~2400 rms, then linking another amp going to 4800 once I finish the electrical. I'd like some clean sounding air movement. Not super into high notes, but I'd like to be able to hit the full range and then go down low with extreme authority. I'm looking to run this sub in a ported box as big as I can in the space I have, 2 cubes or less. Open to aeroporting. I've always ran single 15s but with the space constraints I'm open to moving down to 10 or 12. Interested in a nightshade nsv4 but can't decide/don't have the knowledge or experience to know the differences of what the speakers will sound like. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to give.

It has a 60/40 seat split in the rear, I took out the 40% section and I'm going to fill that side with a box. Trying to keep it contained to the 40% side so I can keep the 60% seat. I had a 3.6 cube box sitting in the back with a Sundown 15 but I got the bug.

42 minutes ago, SpaceKing said:

Wow this forum is dead AF. 70 views, 3 replies lol, really makes me want to get into SSA audio.

I am biased towards the Zcon of course. :)

All forums are slow anymore.  Nothing against SSA, but most traffic has moved to social media platforms. 

I don't have any personal experience with the nightshade or sp4 so I can't really comment on them specifically.  

Overall response though is greatly affected by enclosure design.  Generally with ported enclosures (4th order vented) going larger with a lower tuning frequency will yield a smoother response than smaller with a higher tuning frequency (think peaky one note wonder)

I would suggest taking some really good measurements to figure out your max dimensions and then look at quality reputable brands for a driver that is designed to work in those dimensions.  Remember you need to look at net space after displacement of driver/bracing/port.  That being said, would you have the ability to run an external aero port under the other side of the 60/40 bench to free up space?

Amount of usable space will determine driver/size.  Then work on power.

Edited by nigel

Are you sure you have room for a vented enclosure?  I don't think any of the drivers listed will play very well in 2 cubes vented, hell, I wouldn't run them sealed there either. 

I can make more room available but I was hoping not to. The box could be bigger but it would have to be taller. I could also switch the setup around to taking up the 60% seat section which would equate to like 3.5-4 cubes of room taking up most of the rear section. I can get some measurements if there are folks on here willing to give me box advice. I really wanted to have most of my backseat available while getting the strongest speaker available in there.  Here's a link for an example. My rear section is smaller though the truck in the video is a crew cab. 

I was hoping to keep it more contained if possible like amps mounted behind and under the seat.

Reason I said nightshade is because sundown recommends 2.5 cubes for the 12 and 1.5 for the 10. I figured these speakers would work well in smaller enclosures, could be wrong. I agree more air is ideal to feed the beast, but I was hoping to find something that is designed for what I'm looking to do. I also saw the sp4 recommendations start at 1.8. Granted that's the low end but still. You guys know of some good Facebook groups or something that is more up to date? This place kind of feels like Myspace.

Sorry, thought you were stuck on the 15.  Reading comprehension owned me.

Social media is full of morons.  Best knowledge base is here.  

We can't tell you what driver to get, that's a choice you'll have to make.  We can help with what brands to stay away from, and keeping you realistic in your goals.

Wanting a huge mega power beast knocking the block down with only 2 cubes doesn't add up.  But, using a good quality driver that is optimized for that amount of space can give great results.

There are many 12 inch drivers on the market that would work quite well with 2 cubes, but that's net after displacements, not gross.  You may need to go taller on the enclosure, as well why I asked about the external aero port idea.

The DC audio lvl 5 12 for example, available through the SSA store is rated for 3000 watts and suggests a minimum 1.5 cubic feet enclosure for example.

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/dc-audio-level-5-12-3-5-m5-3000w-subwoofer/

I have no experience with this specific driver though, so can't comment on it specifically, but 90% is install, so enclosure design is going to be a huge factor.

Edited by nigel

Out of the 3 mentioned a zcon will perform best in a smaller enclosure