newbie1526

15" xcon gen1

I am about as new as a newbie can get to car audio and the use of forums so if I am annoying anyone I apologize in advance. I am pretty frustrated at this point cuz i cannot find an answer anywhere so here I am. I bought a 15" xcon from a guy who was going to help me set up my system but he literally went mad and is currently in the state hospital. he told me to get a Hifonics Brutus brx2416.1d super d class mono amp which i did. He also told me that this sub is half ohm and thats about as far as we got before crazy happened. So now due to his mind frame I question if I got the correct amp and if so how do I wire a half ohm sub to a 1 ohm stable amp without damaging amp. Or maybe the better question is is thje sub half ohm at all because from what i have read here in this forum is they are either 1 or 2 ohm. if it matters I am more interested in sq than spl. thank you for any help I can get.

Wow, well, it's hard to help without knowing for sure the voice coil configuration on the sub.  Guessing if he was saying half ohm, it's likely a dual 1 ohm configuration, which hooked up in parallel would be a nominal half ohm load.

The hifonics amps work, they're not the best, but will do the job. 

If the sub is dual 1 ohm you could always wire the voice coils in series for a 2 ohm nominal load. Which, according to hifonics will yield 2000 watts from that amp.

If you need wiring diagrams on the different wiring configurations etc let us know.

Also, do you have an enclosure for the sub, or need to get one? What are you putting this in?  The more info you give us, the more help we can offer.  Pics can help too.

Best of luck, and hope we can get you to where you need to be.

It is dvc. I built a 3qft enclosure for it out of 3/4" mdf with a double layered front. just seemed like the thing to do. Its going in a 99 blazer. If i understand correctly either parallel or series wont damage amp? 

Depends on what voice coils configuration the sub is.  If it's dual 1 ohm then wiring in parallel definitely can.

Again, we need to know which voice coils the sub has before giving any specific recommendations.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, newbie1526 said:

how can i determine what the voice coil configuration is? volt meter?

Yes, put a DMM on one set of terminals, it is reads around 0.7 that means its a dual 1, if it reads around 1.4 that means its a dual 2.

ok thank you. i have to go buy a new volt meter cuz when i hook it to sub the reading just keeps climbing and stops around 7.8 to 13 somthing. or maybe needs new batt. ill let you know.