audiohz

Subs what direction to face box!

Ok putting two 10’s in a ported box subs and port are on same side of the box . Car is a hatchback Scion tC . What would be the best way to face the box?

I'll let you know tomorrow.  Installing the box in my nephew's '06.  It will be with the driver and ports rear-facing.  Once I set the enclosure in place, I thought it might be better to do sub up, ports back.  Will find out soon enough.

15 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I'll let you know tomorrow.  Installing the box in my nephew's '06.  It will be with the driver and ports rear-facing.  Once I set the enclosure in place, I thought it might be better to do sub up, ports back.  Will find out soon enough.

Any luck yet man?

So here's what I got.  Sub and vents to rear obviously.  This is decently loud and only receiving 150 watts from an NVX JAD900.5  The sub channel is wired at 4 ohms, but it's damn loud in the car.  No bass boost or anything.  I don't find any need to alter the firing positions here.  I have great response and zero cancellation.  Rattle is minimal, but I'm not exciting much air here either, so you may experience more.

20200411_190413.thumb.jpg.8a611451169180929aa0a9a9c38a21eb.jpg20200411_190413.thumb.jpg.8a611451169180929aa0a9a9c38a21eb.jpg

20200411_190407_HDR.jpg

19 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

So here's what I got.  Sub and vents to rear obviously.  This is decently loud and only receiving 150 watts from an NVX JAD900.5  The sub channel is wired at 4 ohms, but it's damn loud in the car.  No bass boost or anything.  I don't find any need to alter the firing positions here.  I have great response and zero cancellation.  Rattle is minimal, but I'm not exciting much air here either, so you may experience more.

20200411_190413.thumb.jpg.8a611451169180929aa0a9a9c38a21eb.jpg20200411_190413.thumb.jpg.8a611451169180929aa0a9a9c38a21eb.jpg

20200411_190407_HDR.jpg

Looks good is that a L5?

12" L7.

33 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

12" L7.

What did you find the best lpf setting to be in the car?

9 hours ago, audiohz said:

What did you find the best lpf setting to be in the car?

LPF is not car dependent. Usually is determined by your sub, enclosure, crossover settings for midbass speakers or personal preference.

3 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

LPF is not car dependent. Usually is determined by your sub, enclosure, crossover settings for midbass speakers or personal preference.

True ... my box has a bandwidth of 24hz to 63hz tuning @32hz but I’m just like damn it’s 10’s could I not benefit from a little higher lpf say 80 to 90hz or would setting that high just be pointless due to my box bandwidth?

You can set the filter that high, but if the drivers are rolling off before that, you may never reach that high.

10 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

You can set the filter that high, but if the drivers are rolling off before that, you may never reach that high.

So if they do roll off before is it going to sound bad or just not benefit from it? Right now the lpf is set at 63hz and would like a little more punch bass that you feel in the chest. Is that possible with the set up? Some people telling me I need to raise the lpf to 80 to 100hz .... the components in the front is high passed @100hz also. 

So I have been playing around with it today. Lpf at 80hz with box facing the back is a little louder but damn I have a rattle that is damn near louder than the bass is Wallop of a sound. Can’t figure out where it’s coming from. Thinking about trying the box firing up now . With the subs and port both firing on the back of the car is just asking for this extra rattle. The back and hatch sky high sound Deading. 

19 hours ago, audiohz said:

So if they do roll off before is it going to sound bad or just not benefit from it? Right now the lpf is set at 63hz and would like a little more punch bass that you feel in the chest. Is that possible with the set up? Some people telling me I need to raise the lpf to 80 to 100hz .... the components in the front is high passed @100hz also. 

It might not sound bad, but you might be missing a few notes unintentionally.  If your goal is great sound and a strong front stage, and your mids/mid-bass have to pick up a bunch of that punchy bass.  In a previous install, I ran my mid-bass down to 70hz or so, and had the sub coming in around there.  It was my best sound quality build ever, the car was deadened tremendously, and the front stage was picking up almost all of the the music, outside of the deepest of notes where there was a sealed sub in the hatch area, where overall space was fairly close to your car.

With the scions, I know they need some deadening work for sure.  If you can load up that hatch area, the doors, and a little bit of the floor under the front seats, it will go a long way to improving the performance of your system.

(side note, this topic shows why the SSA forums are still the best for this)