Getta_01

ICON 15 vs DC LVL 3 15???

Hello all. Looking for input and opinions on which subwoofer would be the better choice, (ICON or DC LVL 3) for my scenario and for longevity.

I have managed to destroy 2 Fosgate T1 15D2's in less then 2 years. Think it is time to find something of better quality or can handle my music/listening style better. Which consists of everything under the sun and usually very loud! So I need something that can handle whatever I throw at it. I don't compete and don't plan on it. Just enjoy my music...

Thanks in advance and everyone have a great day!!!

Quick run down of vehicle and system:

2001 VW Jetta

0g Power & Ground (from front to back)

Big 3 with 0g

240 amp alternator

Stinger battery up front and 2 smaller in the trunk (one for each amplifier) *don't recall model numbers. can get, if that important.*

4g from smaller batteries to amplifiers

T1500bd (powering T1 15)

T600.4 (powering Audison components front and coaxs in the rear)

Enclosure is sealed, custom built wood and fiberglass @ approx. 1.8 - 2.0 cuft

Considering you've burned through 2 RF T1's really hesitant to suggest either of your choices listed.  Really feel you'll do the same to them.  RF makes some solid gear, not sure a change to the icon or LVL 3 will change the outcome.  

If you're driving that amp into clipping you're going to burn them up too.  Listening style may be what's to blame and not equipment.

The T1500bd will be more power than needed for either icon or LVL 3, which gives overhead, but if not adjusted and used accordingly will be the death for either option as well.

1 hour ago, nigel said:

Considering you've burned through 2 RF T1's really hesitant to suggest either of your choices listed.  Really feel you'll do the same to them.  RF makes some solid gear, not sure a change to the icon or LVL 3 will change the outcome.  

If you're driving that amp into clipping you're going to burn them up too.  Listening style may be what's to blame and not equipment.

The T1500bd will be more power than needed for either icon or LVL 3, which gives overhead, but if not adjusted and used accordingly will be the death for either option as well.

Then I will need to educate myself on how to avoid clipping.

Everything was purchased and installed at a local shop by a long time friend of mine. I gathered he had adjusted and set everything properly for me. Guessing this may not be the case for my listening style. The first T1 ran great for a little over a year and this last one maybe 6 months... Besides clipping and overheating, is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks!

You are also giving that sub about 500 watts more than it's rated to handle.  You need to listen for stress.  Can't just assume that since a shop set it up on one track it's set correctly for every situation.

Didn't say it was clipping, said it's a possibility.  And depending on audio source being used, and quality of recording, your volume dial needs to be adjusted accordingly to each track.

You've got a lot of money tied up in some good equipment, don't want to see you continue to burn through equipment and money.  Rather see you enjoy your system.

And if you do buy a new sub, my vote goes ICON.

It is a win win, but I am biased towards the SSA Icon. ;)

16 hours ago, nigel said:

You are also giving that sub about 500 watts more than it's rated to handle.  You need to listen for stress.  Can't just assume that since a shop set it up on one track it's set correctly for every situation.

Didn't say it was clipping, said it's a possibility.  And depending on audio source being used, and quality of recording, your volume dial needs to be adjusted accordingly to each track.

You've got a lot of money tied up in some good equipment, don't want to see you continue to burn through equipment and money.  Rather see you enjoy your system.

Thank you for the input. I felt I had done well with not pushing things to hard. However, my car had acquired a few more rattles over the past year. That I just recently remedied. So maybe I wasn't hearing the stress and distortion. This is my first full system in 10+ years. Had old school power series woofers back in the day and never had any issues. And in my younger years I would just throttle on them. 

Now, I've worked in the industry years ago and have been an enthusiast for the majority of my life. So, I'm not completely naïve, nor am I anywhere near an expert. But, I did take the, "just play it and don't worry about it advice" from the shop for granted. Thinking, I just spent a butt load of money and the equipment should handle whatever I throw at it.  Guess I was wrong and Lessoned learned.

I lucked out and the first sub was replaced under warranty.  Unable at this time to find out if they will warranty the second, with everything shutdown. Yes, I totally agree that I do not want to keep burning thru woofers and I want to be able to enjoy my system and enjoy it without worry. Hence why I was thinking a different woofer might be a better fit for my scenario....  I don't desire to change my enclosure at this time. So I know that may limit my options.

Would there be any other woofers out there that one would recommend to better suite my needs or is it just a matter of more diligence in tuning and volume adjustment on my part???

Thanks again for the advice and time!!!

You are also giving that sub about 500 watts more than it's rated to handle.  You need to listen for stress.  Can't just assume that since a shop set it up on one track it's set correctly for every situation.

Didn't say it was clipping, said it's a possibility.  And depending on audio source being used, and quality of recording, your volume dial needs to be adjusted accordingly to each track.

You've got a lot of money tied up in some good equipment, don't want to see you continue to burn through equipment and money.  Rather see you enjoy your system.

Thanks for information.

Getta_01, well, taking of audio systems, one day I've been even trying to install integrated amplifier Yamaha from this source , just to figure out some audio issues and how they appear. It helped, I should admit. And by the way, it's always great when your subs are produced by the same manufacturer, which has produced your amplifier.