jwhitehurst1977

What battery do I need?

I have recently upgraded my sound system to a Sundown u15 D4 1500w rms, and a GK audio 3500.1D1 (3000w rms).  No component speaker upgrades...YET.  My stock 132 amp alternator is well on its way to being smoked.  So, I am ordering a Mechman 320 amp alternator, and would like to know what size battery (that will fit in the stock position) I will need.  I don't care so much about amp hours, because bumping the system isn't really a common thing without the engine running.  

My goal is to NOT run any type of capacitor, and I really don't want to have to add a battery in the back.  I am now running an OEM duralast battery (not sure of specs) and with my weak stock alternator, I am getting not just a little dimming on a good hit of bass, but damn near killing the lights, and the amp meter on the dash drops into the red, and damn near all the way to the bottom.

Not new to car audio, but very new at doing things right, and not just throwing some sound equipment together.  Learning as I go.  So any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Use google or any site that sells batteries will let you know what fits your car. 

Without knowing the vehicle is hard to recommend an exact model. Sometimes one size bigger will fit in the same space, with little or no work. But you’ll have to measure.

Any good AGM battery will be an improvement.
If money’s no object I would either get an XS Power battery or a Deka. otherwise I personally am running a pair of AGM’s from O’Reilly’s ( Super Start iirc) and they are holding up well.

whatever you do, don't waste your money on an Optima.

2 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Without knowing the vehicle is hard to recommend an exact model. Sometimes one size bigger will fit in the same space, with little or no work. But you’ll have to measure.

Any good AGM battery will be an improvement.
If money’s no object I would either get an XS Power battery or a Deka. otherwise I personally am running a pair of AGM’s from O’Reilly’s ( Super Start iirc) and they are holding up well.

whatever you do, don't waste your money on an Optima.

The vehicle is an '04 Grand Cherokee Limited.  I'm glad you mentioned not to get an optima, because I was actually looking at going that route.  I'm assuming you say not to use them because they don't hold up very well.  I was thinking of maybe doing an XS or Kinetik.  But the power ratings of the battery is what I really need to know.  Or rather, what amount of power the battery should have.  I should also mention that I just put two cheapy gothic acoustic 1100w rms 12" (actually what I upgraded from) subs in the mix also.  I know that puts my watts slightly above the rms of my amp, but the amp gain is still only just above 20%.  Maybe should have included that in the original message.  

I'vevrun Optimas for over 20 years without issue. 

Also look into NorthStar batteries, what Ill be running in my build. 

Your vehicles' starting battery size is a Group 65.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

Also look into NorthStar batteries, what Ill be running in my build. 

Your vehicles' starting battery size is a Group 65.

I'll check into that.  Research has told me that I need at least a group 31.  I believe my choice of getting a 320 amp alternator may just fix the dimming.  A second battery would be helpful, but I'm gonna see what the Alt does first.  

If your main battery is not an AGM battery I would personally upgrade that first then do the H/O Alt. But either way you should see some results.

Edited by jcarter1885