Sign in to follow this  
Travis

New ride!

Hey y'all it's been a minute.  I recently purchased a 2013 Cadillac srx.  Totally in love with the new ride. No more huge audio builds. It has the factory 10 speaker Bose system, but sounds like total garbage. I'm planning on upgrading, but keeping it very clean. I'm going for clarity, not necessarily an sq build but more in that direction. Not sure where to start. Any suggestions? The sub will be replaced eventually.  But in the mean time I guess front doors are priority . Factory tweeters are in the pillars. I want it to look completely stock or as close as I can.

A good starting point I guess would be to figure out what's in the factory locations, and what can be done to improve them.

With staying factory look/locations you limit your ability to fix some possible issues.

Often, most vehicles, starting with a good treatment of panels etc in the various dampeners/absorbers/etc is a good start.  Then from there, figuring out what you want improved, and looking at budget.

Not sure what all the stock 10 speaker consists of. Is it a 2 way up front? Are you keeping the stock stereo and doing an integration device? Eliminating rear channels? Etc.

I still have some deadening left over from the loud build. Integrated in with the factory Cadillac cue. I searched for what size is in the doors and its telling me 6 3/4. Tweets in the pillars. With a 3 1/2 inch center channel speaker in the dash. Which is a new one for me. I'm not against disabling the rears. If I can get decent output from the front. I've never dealt with a center channel or an sq oriented build. But I'll try and learn something from this one.  Actually looking at some Hertz k 165 components. 

Congrats on the new wheels, let's see some pictures of this bad boy

3 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

Congrats on the new wheels, let's see some pictures of this bad boy

And thank you. Way overdue. My 40th birthday present to myself.

Nice set of fronts and sub are what i would do...again

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z0vemiBzABoy3J3JNpf4xmgonEzKtFmS/view?usp=drivesdk  first upgrade window tint. 50% full windshield. 20% driver and passenger. Now on to the audio side.  Monday going in to the dealer to get the damaged cue screen replaced.

Edited by Travis

Cant see pictures on the google drive but that tint will come in handy within the next few months. Got mine done earlier this month myself

Congrats on the new wheels, I'm also thinking of buying a Cadillac srx one myself later this month if I  find a good deal.

7 minutes ago, Rigmarole said:

Congrats on the new wheels, I'm also thinking of buying a Cadillac srx one myself later this month if I  find a good deal.

I've looked for almost a year. And I was back and forth between the srx and the xt5. I drove the xt4 and just wasnt a fan of the interior.  I'm happy with my choice. 

On 4/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, jcarter1885 said:

Cant see pictures on the google drive but that tint will come in handy within the next few months. Got mine done earlier this month myself

Yea it will. I wasnt happy with my windshield or the drivers front. So tomorrow they're getting redone. I'm quite bummed the pics dont show up. Looks super clean.

So I've been eyeing some 3 way sets. Focals, morels, and the b2 audio 3 way sets. I'm leaning toward the morel virtus 3 ways.  Pods on the a pillars and driver in the stock door location.  I've been trying to do as much research as I can. Been working steady thro covid and pounding the overtime. Alot of reviews say the focals sound too "bright". I'm not sure what that means. Hope everyone is well and staying safe with the insanity that's happening out there. Edit. Clarity will be my goal.

Edited by Travis

Usually when people say tweeters are bright then they are harsh to the ear. I didnt have an issue when I auditioned some, just depends on personal preference. Some people like louder high end frequency then others while some like them to blend in seamlessly. I would go find audio shops that carry the Focal and Morel sets to see what you prefer. I been hearing good things about the B2 set as well.

My current SB Acoustic tweeter may be harsh or too bright to some with their higher sensitivity compared to my mids. But since Im running active I can tame them down if need be.

4 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

Usually when people say tweeters are bright then they are harsh to the ear. I didnt have an issue when I auditioned some, just depends on personal preference. Some people like louder high end frequency then others while some like them to blend in seamlessly. I would go find audio shops that carry the Focal and Morel sets to see what you prefer. I been hearing good things about the B2 set as well.

My current SB Acoustic tweeter may be harsh or too bright to some with their higher sensitivity compared to my mids. But since Im running active I can tame them down if need be.

Thanks for the input. I've got friends running B2 amps in their bass builds. And they are impressive amps. So I'd imagine the component sets are top notch as well. Probably wont start building till spring. But my components will be my Christmas present to myself

Ok it's been a minute. Got a set of components ordered (critical mass) . Got a JL audio mini dsp ordered (86 I believe?) And no clue how to set it up but its ordered through my buddys shop and he knows what hes doing But I'm gonna learn. Still torn on what sub to run. Thinking a single 12 or 15, possibly even a set of beefy 8's? And no amps as of yet. Waiting on synergy to drop their 5 channel. Specs are supposed to be 150x4 and 1500x1

Edited by Travis