Sign in to follow this  
FlexinHZ

Crescendo STS-1 tweeter question

So I will be pairing the 4 ohm Crescendo STS-1 Silk dome tweeters with 4ohm Crescendo PWX 6.5's . The tweeters came with crossovers just for the tweeters. Amp is a nvx jad800.4 which does 125 x 4 @ 4 ohms.  if I have the pwx's hooked up to channels 1 & 2, can I connect the tweeters on channel 3 & 4 and essentially barely increase the input sensitivity on those channels? Doesn't seem accurate whatsoever to me and I am thinking I could seriously fry my tweeters from the get go. Would that still be considered going passive with tweeter crossovers or am I diving into active territory? Am I better off getting a different passive crossover that I can connect both pwx & tweeter? I know you want to get a passive that is designed for the mids/highs in question, but checking the crescendo website it doesn't look like they sell them. I was thinking of getting a passive that crossovers right around the same frequency as the tweeters @  3800khz, I found a passive that crosses @ 3500khz, would that be plausible or will I probably destroy my tweeters and have holes in my response coming from the mids?  Is my only viable option here is to go active? If I did I would go with the Pioneer 80prs in that regard, due to me being a noob in the active field. I'm just trying to figure out my options.

Edited by FlexinHZ

Generic passives are pointless.  Running active is the only choice, but even with that and an expert install there will be large holes in the audio response.

Yeah after doing some research I figured that was the option, I just needed Expert confirmation thank you. Ive had the pwx’s for years now in another vehicle and the tweeters I’ve had for a couple months, just never got around to it. I liked the pwx’s in my other vehicle but could tell I had holes in the response. Oh well you live and learn.  I am not opposed to going active, just hesitant about the steep learning curve I keep reading about. Also as a second option theoretically speaking with a perfect install Do you think even with say a component setup such as Incriminator I series 6.5 I could render a better response then if I were to go active with the pwx? 

Yes.  Way better.