Sign in to follow this  
teoulennon

Am I graphing these correctly in winisd?

Long story short - I have a '19 f250 underseat box with 2 10" 2.2ft tuned to 36hz. and am trying to decide on drivers for it.

I have a Sundown sa10 in a 1ft box tuned to 35hz - I'm happy with the lows but it drops off in the higher frequencies quick - in songs with a lot of dynamic bass frequencies I can barely hear bass in some parts and other parts it shakes the car, so it feels "uneven" during the song. I'm looking for a setup with loudness but also smoother over a larger frequency range.

I've modeled an idq10, jl 10w3 and Sa10. in 1.1ft box tuned to 36hz (below). When I change the idq10 to two drivers and double the volume (2.2ft) the graph doesn't change. Shouldn't the dB go up? I figure that if I want the loudness of 1 sa10 but also a smoother frequency range I could go with 2 idq10's. Am I way off base here?

Blue is sa10
Green is idq10
Orange is jl 10w3

winisd capture.JPG

There is a drop-down where it says transfer function magnitude. Click on SPL, you will also have to adjust the wattage applied under signal.

sounds like your last box was very peaky around the tuning frequency. Leaving the upper frequencies lacking. The largest box possible will give you the smoothest frequency response and help with that peak.

I would drop the tuning and then see what happens. Could be a combination of response (box) and cabin gain that give the impression that that upper bass is muted compared to lower bass. What are you LPF for the sub and HPF for the mids? Do you have TA, EQ or any processing in the HU/DSP/etc? 

btw the help site for win isd explains the plots. give this a read. 

file:///C:/ProgramData/winisd/help/usingwinisd/graphs.html

Edited by lithium

As mentioned, cabin gain can play a huge role at your listening position. Can you get a hold of any type of measurement mic so you can measure near field at the enclosure and then at the listening position and see what the difference is?