teoulennon

SSA Demon vs IDQ10v4 vs JL 10w3

I have a 2.05ft box tuned to 36hz for 2 10" drivers. I had 1 sa10 in a 1ft box tuned to 35hz and it's way too peaky for my tastes - shakes the whole car on lows but has hardly any output at higher frequencies, so music sounds "uneven". I'm trying to find a sub that has a smoother frequency response and sq but still gets decent spl.

I've graphed 1 of each sub below, in a 1ft box tuned to 36hz (w/ the sa10 for reference). Each is at their recommended rms. I have no idea why the Demon is so off - I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but I've triple checked all t/s numbers (if someone wants to try and graph that one for me feel free!)

I'm limited to a max mounting depth of 6". Thoughts?

red = demon

black = 10w3

blue = idq10v4

green = sa10

sub spl comparison.PNG

Edited by teoulennon

I have 2 IDQ 10’s and I do like them but I’m not 100% satisfied. I think I’m just wanting more output. I would go with the Demon personally. You’ll get more output with good sq. I haven’t heard a W3 but IMO the Demon is a much better value. 

I did not check the specs on the Sundown, but the only one of the three drivers you questioned that I would use in a vented alignment would be the JL.  The Demon and IDQ have much too high of a Qts for vented IMO, and both will be peaky.

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I did not check the specs on the Sundown, but the only one of the three drivers you questioned that I would use in a vented alignment would be the JL.  The Demon and IDQ have much too high of a Qts for vented IMO, and both will be peaky.

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what you mean by peaky? They look smoother than the sa10 modeled and from what I understand the idq is known to have a pretty smooth frequency response. Any suggestions for other drivers I should look into? being limited to 6" mounting depth and 2.04ft kindof limits my options.

Sundown sa10 specs:

RE (Ohms) 4.29 7.08
FS (Hz) 35.4 36.6
VAS (L) 10.13 10.66
Qes 0.52 0.54
Qms 5.41 5.30
Qts 0.48 0.49
Le (mH) 3.41 4.71
BL (NA) 20.40 24.82
Mms (Grams) 230 205
Cms (uM/N) 87.8 92.4
Sens (dB @ 1w/1m) 81.0 81.6
Edited by teoulennon

7 hours ago, clifff150 said:

I have 2 IDQ 10’s and I do like them but I’m not 100% satisfied. I think I’m just wanting more output. I would go with the Demon personally. You’ll get more output with good sq. I haven’t heard a W3 but IMO the Demon is a much better value. 

What kind of set up do you have your idq's running? And what kind of output are you getting with them now? The single sa10 is my benchmark, and I'm happy with the output of it at the frequency it plays loudest, so if they're as loud/louder I'll consider them a win.

Edited by teoulennon

1 hour ago, teoulennon said:

What kind of set up do you have your idq's running? And what kind of output are you getting with them now? The single sa10 is my benchmark, and I'm happy with the output of it at the frequency it plays loudest, so if they're as loud/louder I'll consider them a win.

I have them in a downfire sealed box under my rear seat (F-150) that’s just over 2 cubes after displacement. Powered by a JBL GTR-1000. Don’t get me wrong, I like the setup but i just want more output. My box isn’t ideal though so I’ll be switching to a single SSA Icon 12 firing forward on a US Acoustics Mike ported to hopefully 30ish hz

45 minutes ago, clifff150 said:

I have them in a downfire sealed box under my rear seat (F-150) that’s just over 2 cubes after displacement. Powered by a JBL GTR-1000. Don’t get me wrong, I like the setup but i just want more output. My box isn’t ideal though so I’ll be switching to a single SSA Icon 12 firing forward on a US Acoustics Mike ported to hopefully 30ish hz

I gotcha. Have you thought about porting them? I was going to try the idq10’s ported w a fox acoustics box for my f250 - 2.04ft tuned to 36hz. Here’s a link to some f150 boxes

That’s actually the box I have. I did not try them ported (I sealed it up) because I don’t think it’s enough air space to port them and regardless what he has listed as the port tuning, there’s no way it’s 36 hz and not near enough port volume. 

6 minutes ago, clifff150 said:

That’s actually the box I have. I did not try them ported (I sealed it up) because I don’t think it’s enough air space to port them and regardless what he has listed as the port tuning, there’s no way it’s 36 hz and not near enough port volume. 

I’m really glad you said that - I sent him an email earlier today asking what the port area of the box was, I was curious how well they were tuned. Now you’ve got me thinking about some 8’s ported rather than 10’s. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to unseal your ports? You aren’t curious what it’d sound like? The reviews of the box seem to be positive overall.

4 hours ago, teoulennon said:

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what you mean by peaky? They look smoother than the sa10 modeled and from what I understand the idq is known to have a pretty smooth frequency response. Any suggestions for other drivers I should look into? being limited to 6" mounting depth and 2.04ft kindof limits my options.

Sundown sa10 specs:

RE (Ohms) 4.29 7.08
FS (Hz) 35.4 36.6
VAS (L) 10.13 10.66
Qes 0.52 0.54
Qms 5.41 5.30
Qts 0.48 0.49
Le (mH) 3.41 4.71
BL (NA) 20.40 24.82
Mms (Grams) 230 205
Cms (uM/N) 87.8 92.4
Sens (dB @ 1w/1m) 81.0 81.6

Your experience you explained in your first post is what I mean by peaky.  You're relying too much on a program that models on small signal with no acoustical reference to transfer function, cancellation, power compression, group delay, etc. . . . .   Don't expect your results to mimic what the program is modeling.

Yes I can unseal it. I had 2 Sundown E 10’s in there first (ported). It got really loud but was too boomy and couldn’t hit the lower notes like I wanted, not to mention the port was chuffing like crazy. It all depends on tastes. If you just want loud then that box will work for you. I want more of an accurate setup that blends and can get loud if I want. 
I do not think those IDQ’s will work well in that box ported. They like volume and the IDQ is a musical woofer. Check out the SSA truck build. 3 F8L’s ported underseat firing forward. Looks awesome. 

I am very biased, but from experience, I feel the SA-10s really need to stay ported as that is where they thrive. The IDQ's are very composed and well designed subs, but in most applications should stay sealed.  They are a great choice for balanced and clean bass.  The JL W3's and Demons are a little more versatile in my option.  The W3's have been very flexible in multiple enclosures and can be a great all around performer.  The same can be said for the SSA Demon.  Personally, I think the SSA is the best value.  ;)