Notorious97200

speakers for BMW X1

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a system for my X1.

There's not much room in the doors, I can only fit a 4" mid, not too deep though.

Some companies have direct fit in speakers for that car.

I'm thinking about a Focal set (ES 100 K).

Buuut I would love to keep my SSA Evil1 tweeters. What 4" mids would you use ?

I will use an Incriminator 3.4 amp and 2 Gcons10" on 2K watts.

Is it a 3 way?  There has to be something larger than a 4" in that car.  Going to be really hard to make something with 4's being the midbass...

The Focal kit is a 2 way : mids and tweeters.

I will have to find a spot for the tweeters.

The car only have 4" coaxial speakers in each door, and 2 8" subs under the front seats.

I don't want to do modifications on this car.

I know 4" will be hard to work with, but I'm not going for competition. I just want something clear.

People tells me to look at Audiofrog 4" ones. I don't know.

Are you going to use the under seat 8's as midbass?  If not, I'd just run the stock system.  No way a 4 will work for you unless you are willing to throw all stage to the rear.

I love my Tangband W4's.  I am running them full range on axis though.

bGEGjkZ.png

16 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Are you going to use the under seat 8's as midbass?  If not, I'd just run the stock system.  No way a 4 will work for you unless you are willing to throw all stage to the rear.

I don't know if I should use them at all.
I was planning a simple 2 way + sub. That 4" is annoying.

If a pair of midbass under the seat can work, why not ? That would be my first 3way+sub system. What should I look for ?

I'm ok to make some compromise, but no, I cannot keep the stock system. No way !

BMW is using them as midbasses, you might as well too.  Personally I'd pull fresh wires so you can easily go back to stock but that frees up the range on the mids to not need midbass which would be helpful.  Would allow you to focus on a 4 that has a killer midrange but not worry about trying to reproduce midbass.

Would need an 6+1 channel processor and amplification.  The Tang in the pic above ought to be able to get down around 200hz in the doors.  Mark audio makes a great 4 as well.  Lots of other options that I haven't listened to as well.  A set of those, a processor and amplification and you would have a three way that should have reasonable midbass and a killer midrange.  There are some tuning and staging fun with the underseat, but if you don't want to cut up your doors this is probably the easiest solution.

I'm ok with that : Midbass under the fr seats and killer 4" in doors, with my SSA tweeters.

I don't want to go cheap, but if I can get cheaper 4" than those Focal or Audiofrog it would be good !

I already have a 4x60 w Incriminator amp and a 2x50w Zapco amp.

I might get an Audison bit one to tune everything, unless I find something like a miniDSP.

Haven't heard the 1658, the 1337 however has amazing midrange.  The Mark Audio has received rave reviews for that sort of application as well.

The 1337 looks deep. I need to check that first. 
ill search for Mark Audio 4” mids. 

I can only fit shallow woofers in the doors.  The choice is very limited ! I think I'll stick with the Focal, Audiofrog,or  Match speakers made specifically for this car.

What do you think about the Audiofrog GS8ND2 for midbass under the seats ? Are they worth the price ?

Or should I find a regular 8" midbass speaker to fit there ?

I think you should find different mounting locations.  The compromises you have to make to use only shallow 4's, not have a real midbass or spend craptons of money scream do something else

I don't want to touch the car !

I'll get the Focal set for $320 and their specific 8" subs for $350 : those are french prices. That will be the easiest way to have a "nice" sound.

Now I'm looking at the Audison Bitone : one of the few processors easy to install in this car.

Ouch.  I'd MUCH rather spend it on installation that horribly overpriced drivers.

43 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Ouch.  I'd MUCH rather spend it on installation that horribly overpriced drivers.

I understand but this is my first nice car. And I don’t want to do wrong. I want to come back to stock easily when I resell. 

I can’t trust my installer this much. No local shop can do that. It’s a small island.
Hopefully I already have wires, 4 ch amp, battery, secondskin dampening for the front doors. 

Edited by Notorious97200

Oder completed (everything tax free !)  :

one set of Focal ES 100 K

one pair of Focal underseat subs/midbass speakers.

one amplifier with internal DSP : Audison AP 8.9 for the comp set and the midbass . With the OEM integration cables.

I'll order the subs and the bass amplifier from the SSA store, of course.

Thanks for the help. I'm sad I could not follow M5 advice this time. My installer is very happy with  that : he bought everything from my install !!!

Edited by Notorious97200

Last week-end I installed the Focal ES 100 K comp set, and 2 8" Focal subs/midbass under the seats.

I absolutely need to install the amplifier : an Audison AP 8.9 with buil-in DSP, and all OEM interconnections and wires. I know it may not be the best, but it will do it for me.

I put some Damplifier pro on the doors, but I had LLP for my old car and I din't use it. I hope I will be able to use it in the trunk. That was not cheap, I must use it somewhere !

thumbnail_IMG_0225.jpg

I totally forgot to take pictures of the work done. The weather was uncertain, we had to do it as fast as possible.

I hope I'll take pictures on the amp install at least !

Sorry guys.