FlexinHZ

Passive Front Stage Advice

Vehicle: 2003 Acura RSX

Budget: $300-$450

Amp: NVX JAD800.4

Im looking to keep it simple and go passive with Two 6.5' components per door, & One tweeter per door. Will be having a fellow friend with experience fabricating doors do the install. So far Ive from a quick search, Im looking at the Incriminator Audio I6.5c's, or Image Dynamics ID65CS components...Anyone have any experience with either of these or any other suggestions? Pretty set on doing only one tweeter per door, any info  on going with only one or going 2 per door would be great. 

I've never seen a passive set with 2 6.5's and 1 tweeter.  Not trivial to build your own passive to do that...but it can be done.  Your budget is plenty, but would be way easier and more logical active. 

I was thinking of getting 2 component sets, and only wiring one of the tweeters on one of the crossovers per door.  I cant remember exactly but I think Ive read on here before that two tweeters in the front stage is horrific, but I may be mistaken. Going off that uncertain logic I have, I figured 2 tweeters per door would be too much in my small 2 door  hatchback rsx. So what kind of negative should I expect from doing this? Im not opposed to going active, I just wanted to get some feedback on this multiple speakers Passive setup idea before diving back into the realm of understanding how to go active.

In that regard, why do you feel you need a pair or mids per door?

Honestly I’ve just always wanted custom door panels, and now since I’m going to get them finally, just trying to figure out what routes Are possible for a two 6.5’s per door setup. 

If you want a 3 way I would run a real 3 way...in particular if you are going to make custom panels.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If you want a 3 way I would run a real 3 way...in particular if you are going to make custom panels.

Would you recommend doing a 3 way even though it would be my first time going active?  What issues will I run into going with two 6.5 components per door?

You said passive above.  Active now?  There are no 2 6.5" with 1 tweeter passives.  Tons of difficulties with that.  If you HAD to run 2 6.5's I would have one only play midbass...again no longer passive or requires some custom passive mods.

2 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

You said passive above.  Active now?  There are no 2 6.5" with 1 tweeter passives.  Tons of difficulties with that.  If you HAD to run 2 6.5's I would have one only play midbass...again no longer passive or requires some custom passive mods.

I just meant if I went with your suggestion of doing a real 3 way, it would be my first time going active if I did that. I know I’m saying my thought process is I would buy 2 sets of the same components, install both mids and both crossovers per side, but only run one of the tweeters per door. Would it even work? Or just sound horrible? 

Would be a waste of money IMO.  You could fundamentally do that, but you will want to also add another LP to the mid so that one of them only plays midbass.  Lots of $$$ for a little more midbass.  Any other combination that way will just ruin the mid/highs.

As for the first active as a 3 way, I wouldn't do that either.

Running a 2 way active in a custom door could be killer.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Would be a waste of money IMO.  You could fundamentally do that, but you will want to also add another LP to the mid so that one of them only plays midbass.  Lots of $$$ for a little more midbass.  Any other combination that way will just ruin the mid/highs.

As for the first active as a 3 way, I wouldn't do that either.

Running a 2 way active in a custom door could be killer.

Alright gotcha. So I already have some Image Dynamics ID65CS components never installed, so just to clarify instead of getting a 2nd set, I can ditch the passive crossover, get a miniDSP or 80prs, and go 2 way with them correct? That would yield me enough quality mid bass and still get “loud”?

If not you could then address whichever components is the limiting factor.  Loud is usually perceived by distortion or bloated mids/highs.   Spending your money on improving the installation is critical.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:07 PM, ///M5 said:

If not you could then address whichever components is the limiting factor.  Loud is usually perceived by distortion or bloated mids/highs.   Spending your money on improving the installation is critical.

Alright, so ill be scrapping that idea then. I did however pick up a Kenwood DMX706S for a steal, which is active capable, so looks like this train is going in the right direction. Now to determine which route to go for this 2 way active setup in a custom door panel. Any suggestions?...... (I'll be uploading pictures for a better idea later today when I'm not at work of install locations) Vehicle is a 2003 Acura RSX btw though.

You can do that if you like them.  Are you using the door as the enclosure or are you making on within the door panel itself?

Ive got a buddy who has done awesome work with custom door panels, so I'll be going that route. Just sold the ID's yesterday as well. So now I just need to decide on drivers, or do I still need to worry about mounting depth/location etc still? I would love to run a 2 way active setup with the SSA Evil 6.5's. Now, I do have a set of crescendo sts tweeters that I have from a prior impulse buy last year that I never used lol Could I use those or is my best bet getting the evil tweeters too?

If you like the crescendo's then you won't like anything I like

13 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If you like the crescendo's then you won't like anything I like

I’ve never heard them so idk if I like them. But dang you don’t care for their normal silk dome tweeters either? lol i would prefer to go with the evil tweeters fyi, just wanted some input on the crescendo...and I got it lol so should I go with two 4ohm or 8 ohm 6.5’s ? And i think I’m gonna go with the evil tweeters as well. 

Edited by FlexinHZ