Impious

New Project - Gym Speakers

Been using CSW Model6's in my home gym for the past year.  While they were good enough for the $25 I paid for them, they have their weaknesses and roll off hard at 100hz.  

I've had some Coustic Design Reference 7" mids sitting around for about a decade.  Despite being car audio mids, they're old enough that they actually have more home audio TS parameters.  Figured I'd put them to use and gain some more DIY experience at the same time.  

Trying to ball on a budget here as these speakers aren't uber important, more of a learning experience than anything.  Decided to go with a Woofer Assisted Wideband arrangement for a couple reasons.  First I wasn't sure of the usable high FR of the mid but I'm sure with the ancient technology involved it's going to be unimpressively low.  Second I was trying to really pinch pennies here and getting a ($10-15) cheap tweeter that will play low enough to mate with these modbass was unlikely.  The Vifa TC9, however, is only like $7 and will easily play down near 100hz if desired.  

Sweet.  I just put in a new patio.  Contemplating what to do for tunes there.  I MUST build something soon. :P

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Sweet.  I just put in a new patio.  Contemplating what to do for tunes there.  I MUST build something soon. :P

OMG It's so much more enjoyable than installing car audio

Good looking start.

Solid craftsmanship there!!!

J

About ready to start measuring, finally.  Wanted to this weekend but didn't have the free time I thought I would.  Just got them to this point a few minutes ago.  

Must say I really like the look of the rear mount with roundover on the wideband.  

Wish I would've swapped the port on the right speaker so the port was on the outside on both.  Not that it matters acoustically.  It's purely cosmetic.  Just would've been nice to have the forethought to plan that look better.  

20210912_191410.jpg

20210912_191418.jpg

On 9/12/2021 at 7:26 PM, Impious said:

About ready to start measuring, finally.  Wanted to this weekend but didn't have the free time I thought I would.  Just got them to this point a few minutes ago.  

Must say I really like the look of the rear mount with roundover on the wideband.  

Wish I would've swapped the port on the right speaker so the port was on the outside on both.  Not that it matters acoustically.  It's purely cosmetic.  Just would've been nice to have the forethought to plan that look better.  

20210912_191410.jpg

20210912_191418.jpg

Holy Lord! I've missed you guys and your work. Been a minute but loving this speaker build imp!