Sign in to follow this  
Grim

Need help with my Amp!!

I have never had this problem untill I started using my FI sub...

So hopfully someone can shed some light on the subject..

When hitting major bass notes on full tilt, the amp shuts off and shows CUR..Which is excessive current.

What is this and how the hell do I fix it?

Jesus, i am just out of it today...

Sorry its an Alpine M1005 and Im using a dual 1ohm voice coil wired to 2ohms...

From reading other forums it seems that many others have had the same problem. I understand that these amps will do that when they started clipping-have you checked your input level?

Have you checked all your wires, ground, power, and even those going to your sub? I'd start by checking all the wires, even if it means pulling the sub out and checking the back of it too.

Jesus, i am just out of it today...

Sorry its an Alpine M1005 and Im using a dual 1ohm voice coil wired to 2ohms...

Are you sure you are actually running at 2 Ohms? Did you check with multimeter?

How do I check with my DMM?

I am pretty sure. I mean its wired.. - of Coil 1 to + of coil 2 and + of Coil 1 to amp and - of coil 2 to amp

Tejcurrent:

I wondered if It had something to do with that. I believe I am clipping so i kept it turned down. One setting was messed up after i set it with the DMM so that is entirely possible...That was on my list of things to do for sunday.

I have checked all the wires and everything seems good.

Edited by Grim

Excessive current means the speakers is asking for something the amp can't provide... So the amp clips and goes into protect to protect the sub (it's a no no to send a sub a clipped signal)...

DMM the amps voltage when the subs hit hard and see if anything even for a second dips below 12V...

To DDM the ohms of the sub remove the wires from the amps speaker terminals

put your DMM on the resistive setting (or OHM setting) and it should punch out a number...

remember impedance varies from sub to sub so you may get a 1.75 and that is almost certainly 2 ohm impedance....

Also another way you can trouble shoot this to assure it's not a busted amp

remove the speaker wires then pump up the volume if it goes into CUR then time for a new amp...

Excessive current means the speakers is asking for something the amp can't provide... So the amp clips and goes into protect to protect the sub (it's a no no to send a sub a clipped signal)...

DMM the amps voltage when the subs hit hard and see if anything even for a second dips below 12V...

To DDM the ohms of the sub remove the wires from the amps speaker terminals

put your DMM on the resistive setting (or OHM setting) and it should punch out a number...

remember impedance varies from sub to sub so you may get a 1.75 and that is almost certainly 2 ohm impedance....

Also another way you can trouble shoot this to assure it's not a busted amp

remove the speaker wires then pump up the volume if it goes into CUR then time for a new amp...

Ahh I see now, So I will have to back the Gains off or check my settings again.

I have a DMM built into the amps and is very accurate(Never realized it untill i plugged in a DMM to test) and it neevr ever dips below 12 Except when the car is off and the system has been playing for a while..

Lastly, how would that test Impedence for the sub setup? If the subs arent hooked up? Ya know what im saying

With the amp off, turn the meter to Ohms...dual 1ohm coils in series should leave you with a 1.4ohm dcr.

The DMM probes go to the subs speaker wires coming from the amps speaker terminals

So the black (negative probe) of the DMM goes to the negative wire/terminal of the subs and the red (positive probe) goes tot he positive speaker wire...

And nick corrected my dcr value it's 1.4 not 1.7 (so many numbers rattling around my head)...

remember it is always best to get the highest signal from the source of the system the HU...

So make sure you did your 3/4 volume turn on the HU then adjust the system to that.

When you use the HU as your source of main voltage the lower you can set your gains which makes for a cleaner and less stress free system and everyone plays nicely together...

Edited by theabunai

good to know, thanks alot guys...

i will check this all out tommrow...

also try your setup without any bass boost and the sub setting on your head unit at 0. this gives your amp the cleanest signal possible. if you let the head unit distort the signal, the amp is just gonna amplify the distorted signal and clip the hell out of it.

bass boost and stuff like that makes it sound louder to the ear, but all it is really doing is introducing distortion.

Sign in to follow this