oldschool4life

XM Radio...

Favorite Stations?

I cant stand satelite radio, it sounds like ass to me.

That's great. I guess you have every song you ever want to listen to on CD then? A good SAT install will sound just as good as an MP3. A CD will sound better than either. If you can tell the difference going down the road, the problem is with your install, not the SAT broadcast.

That's great. I guess you have every song you ever want to listen to on CD then? A good SAT install will sound just as good as an MP3. A CD will sound better than either. If you can tell the difference going down the road, the problem is with your install, not the SAT broadcast.

Umm. No. There are crap loads of people that have the same opinion as myself. Its plain and simple....they use very crappy compression methods. I had the acutall hard wired sirus tuner. And to say that it was as good as mp3.....well I'm not even going to comment on that. Lets just say SAT radio has its place. But the quality IMO just isnt there.

Edited by Puggsley456

Favorite Stations?

82 - The System

Armin Van Buuren > all

:fing34:

Umm. No. There are crap loads of people that have the same opinion as myself. Its plain and simple....they use very crappy compression methods. I had the acutall hard wired sirus tuner. And to say that it was as good as mp3.....well I'm not even going to comment on that. Lets just say SAT radio has its place. But the quality IMO just isnt there.

i have to agree with puggsley. even with the add on tuners for the units we carry, so it's hardwired, no fm modulation, and the factory piece int he wife's TB, satellite radio just doesn't sound as good as cd or mp3 (when at a cd level or higher 128 +). to me it's not worth the extra money over free radio. especially when you consider they do indeed have commercials, even if they are just for themselves.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I've herad complaints about the SQ of the Sirius system, in fact that was why I went with XM myself. If you can hear a difference between my XM setup and my hardwired iPod (everything on it is ripped at 196k) going down the road, I'd be amazed.

SQ aside, for me it is worth the couple bucks a month over broadcast radio. There is not a good radio station here at all. There are two I can tolerate but they play more commercials than music. The themed music channels on XM have no commercials. The comedy channel (150) has 3 commercials every 30 min. The couple of Clear Channel supplied feeds have normal comercials but not nearly as often as broadcast radio.

The channels I have on memory are:

150 (Comedy) from there its a short tune to 153 (Canadian Comedy)

8 (80's) from there I can get to 90's on 9 quickly as well

41 the Boneyard- all hair bands and 80's and 90's hard rock/heavy metal

66 (and from there 65 and 67) the good hip hop/rap stations

48 - I can't remember what this station calls itself or what its theme is but its always stuff you know I use this one and 41 to get me into the rock section when I'm surfing channels

82 - Dance from here its quick to get to 81 and 80, the other electronica/techno/trance stations I can only handle this stuff in really small doses but it keeps the wife content for a few minutes before I go back to the 80's channel

If you road trip a lot SAT radio is a godsend. Try finding any normal radio station in the middle of BFE (AZ or Nevada desert, all of NM, MT, ID, SD, ND, NE, IA, the CO Rockies, the "Gap" (the folks from Canada know what I'm talking about)). Also figure in no adjacent station interference, no static, no fading reception etc... Sorry, you just can't compare SAT radio to regular broadcast.

Now you say, "What about HD radio?" Well here's my take on that. The backers of HD radio try to sell it as "'Free.' The way radio should be." The programming might be free but the hardware is big $$$. $350 for a HD tuner!?! Let's break that down compared to XM. I can get an XM tuner for $30. Add a hardwired FM modulator for $50 (you'd have to do the same thing for HD to add it to a factory system or any system that isn't "HD Ready"). Now you pay for close to 2 years of programming to get to the same cost as the "free" HD. And that programming cost is spread out over 2 years instead of all coming out of your pocket at once. Now look at availability. HD isn't broadcast everywhere. XM is available everywhere inside the footprint of the satellite constellation, translation "Norht America." What about programming? With HD you're stuck with the same stuff that comes over normal broadcast radio it just has better sound quality (about the same as satellite, BTW). You might get a repeater of a station in another market, but it still has all the comercials and the same programming as usual. As far as program goes, IMO, you get what you pay for with HD, but the price of admission pretty well kills the deal.

Bottom line: if you are looking for something to do critical listening with, SAT radio may not be for you, but then neither is mp3, broadcast radio or even HD radio. If you are looking for something to listen to while you are spending time in your car anywhere in North America that sounds pretty good, SAT radio is probably the way to go.