Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Possible Changes to Warranty Policy

Based on the amount of support required for people who have failed to do their research and install amps properly I may be pulling 0.5 ohm warranty coverage from future "Z" series Class-D amplifier sales. Plenty of information is posted on the forum but I continually get support questions about sub-1 ohm operation. It turns out that 90% of the time it is a gain knob set too high, insufficient voltage, or a load that is incredibly low beyond 0.5 ohms due to wiring errors.

Have there been any failures? Not any more than I would expect from just factory defects and user error. I've had one come back that was actually toasted beyond recognition... but that user had an issue in the install somewhere that caused their HU pre-outs to catch fire so even then I don't blame the low load. Three other returned amps traced back to improper strapping that damaged the amps (hence the FAQ).

Pretty much the rest of any returns I've had turned out to be working just fine... but had a flaw in the installation somewhere -- these calls are extremely time consuming to trace down since I can't replicate the "problem" when I hook the amp up. I am a small business so an hour long phone call to trace down an install error on subjects covered in sticky posts, and even in the manual, is a big deal since I have alot of other things that I need to be doing.

This doesn't mean you can't run your amp at 1/2 ohm or that there have been excessive failures. But, the sheer amount of time I spend troubleshooting installation errors at sub-1 ohm loads is getting out of control so I am strongly considering discontinuing 1/2 ohm warranty for amps sold after "X" date. Since I made the guarantee, all amps already out there would be covered.

Not much would change... to date nobody would have been denied warranty coverage. But it would certainly free up a LOT of time on my end supporting improper installation at low impedance.

Thoughts? Perhaps even keep low impedance coverage if installed by an authorized dealer only?

Rate it at 1ohm and leave it :)...you can't let somebody who does not have experience with amps like this wire things down that low...

I honestly saw nothing but trouble coming in the first place, because i know how people are...why do you think the BTL is rated at 2kw? :)

I agree with Nick, I understand the value of having the warranty go down to 0.5 ohms, but too many inexperienced people buying up too much power and not sure what to do with it. I would saw pull it back to 1ohm to protect yourself.

I would have to agree, a local guy that got a Sundown from me showed up to install it at .7 ohms running a factory battery that was 10 years old, 4 gauge no-name brand wire, and the terminal on the battery was just hanging on there by a thread.

I told him not to install it with it like that, but of course he did anyway once he left, and then complained about the lack of power.

I have to agree with others as well but my only concern would be about the customers who purchased your amp based on the pretenses that you warrantied your amps down to .5 ohm. How would you take care of those customers or maybe you should warranty your amps at .5 ohm but have to meet a certain spec to even recieve that warranty.

just my 2 cents if it matters any sir and great amp btw I am really liking it and can't wait to drop it down to 1ohm just waiting to upgrade things first.

Edited by Jybfan04

Jybfan04,

In case you missed it, I would cover all the SAZ-1500Ds sold before the cut-off date so anyone who purchased it while the 1/2 ohm warranty was in place would be covered :) The original invoice must be included with warranty returns so I would get the date from that. So everyone in that group would be taken care of as they expected.

I already have a certain spec to receive the warranty, it's posted in a sticky post... seems that most folks ignore it hence the support calls.

I think that might be a good idea, as people don't mind paying for amps and subs but don't know what it takes to power them and always want to do the wiring as cheap as possible. This way if they go 4 gauge then 1 ohm is doable. But if you rate it at .5phm and they expect it, they will still use 4 gauge power. Like stated about, some people "New DIY's" will run with the bare minimum and if it reduces returns and RMA's then I would in a heartbeat. The people that are truely serious and understand all aspects will use zero and a second batt. But keep in mind the SPL market is only 8-10% of the total share. So I say you are right for doing it.

I think that might be a good idea, as people don't mind paying for amps and subs but don't know what it takes to power them and always want to do the wiring as cheap as possible. This way if they go 4 gauge then 1 ohm is doable. But if you rate it at .5phm and they expect it, they will still use 4 gauge power. Like stated about, some people "New DIY's" will run with the bare minimum and if it reduces returns and RMA's then I would in a heartbeat. The people that are truly serious and understand all aspects will use zero and a second batt. But keep in mind the SPL market is only 8-10% of the total share. So I say you are right for doing it.

Hell, I'm in sq and i agree with over kill on wiring etc... I would rather spend the money and do it right than cheap out and sell myself short, sure 70 dollar interconnects aren't cheap and only work a fraction better than 40 dollar interconnects, or going with 1/0 power and grounds even though i only had a 1000 watts and the lowest impedance any of my amps was running was 2 ohms. I would still buy a sundown amp even if it wasn't warrantied down to .5 ohms just because i know that it can handle it, and it was built well. It's amps like Memphis and kicker that i don't like because when you call up to ask them how low can you go even if your voiding the warranty, they won't help you one bit. I would say keep up with the great customer service, and pat yourself on the back for building amazing product. Get those inexperienced whiners off of your back and keep your head in the game.

I would love the warranty, but being competitive with these car audio products already knocks away most of my other warranty's (from other companies) and I am cool with that.

Alright... I'm making it official.

All amps sold after March 31st will not carry 0.5 ohm warranty. This will make sure that word can get out so people don't buy an amp expecting to be covered.

All amps sold after March 31st will not carry 0.5 ohm warranty. This will make sure that word can get out so people don't buy an amp expecting to be covered.

Who the hell fried one beyond recoginition!! :banhim:

Who the hell fried one beyond recoginition!! :banhim:

*laughs*

Oh, I don't know :)

*laughs*

Not sure if my memory is correct, wasn't it manny?

Yep, his is the only catastrophic failure that I have seen to date.

*laughs*

lovin it.

*laughs*

lovin it.

You deserve a trophy I think :fing34:

Sign in to follow this