Sign in to follow this  
LinxuS

Fi Q 12" Review

Ok, so I'll start from the beginning. I bought this sub a few months ago, near the beginning of January. I bought a 12" Q, Dual 2.

The people of Fi: Being local, I got to meet Scott, and one of his workers. Scotts a great guy, down to Earth, and just extremely outgoing and friendly. He answered all my e-mails, even though the poor guy must get like 200 of them a day. He showed me around the warehouse, how they assembled the subwoofers, and even put part of mine together right in front of me. I left the warehouse extremely satisfied with Fi as a whole, but how good are they at making subwoofers? I'll explain in this review :)

First Impressions: The sub is pretty beefy for what it is, and fairly heavy. It has a great build quality, and is impressive and eye catching on the first sight.

The Build: I had David from RE build my box, and do all the wiring. I went with a 2.3 cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to about 31 hz. It has 2x 4" Aeroports coming out the side. The box is going into a Ford Ranger, with the subwoofer upfiring, and the ports coming out the side, towards the Driver's side. Pictures will be at the end of this.

The Hook-Up: The Sub is going to be connected to an RE 12.1. It is receiving about 1200 RMS @ 1 ohm, set using a DMM, and a -3 db attenuated tone at 60 hz. It's ideally receiving about 1400 ish RMS on a full on sine wave. My electrical consists of a Yellow Top under the hood, Big 3, and a 240 amp Iraggi Alternator, with 1/0 going back to the amps.

Now on to the actual Sub: Upon first impressions, I was not very impressed to be honest. It was loud, especially considering it's one of the few REAL subs I have heard, but it was not as loud as I expected. However, over time, about the next month truthfully, I began to fall in love. As the sub started to break in, it got significantly louder. A month later, I could not have been any happier. The sound quality is superb, the output is more than I could ever want, and it really hits the lows with authority. A few songs my Q has come to love have been: Betcha Can't Do It Like Me, Soul Survivor, Hypnotize, and for you Bass-drum-heads: The Light that Blinds.

The sub has never missed a single bass drum, no matter what I throw at it. It not only hits it with authority, it also does it while retaining clarity.

The lows make my ears ring, shake my car apart, and just utterly engulf you in the bass. It is unbelievably loud for a single 12" on the lows. With people sitting in my car, they usually throw their hands over their ears as soon as the bass hits, and beg to get out.

It has no problem hitting any note under 60 hz, and when it does hit them, it hits with authority.

Pros: What isn't there to love about this sub? The lows hit with authority, the mids make your ears bleed, and the Sound Quality makes baby jesus cry. It does not miss a single bass drum beat, a single note in any rap sound, or any other song for that matter. There's never a time where I wanted it any louder. It's loud enough to be heard from blocks away if that is what you desire. It also sounds nice enough to put in SQ cars.

Cons: The only problem I seem to have with my Q, is that it does not really like anything above 60 hz. Other than that, this sub has been perfect to me in EVERY WAY. I would never hesitate to buy it again, and I constantly recommend it to my friends.

Now on to the Pictures:

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Videos in next post.

I think you amps is a lil off with the cone wabble.

Other than that nice review and evern better install

J

Pros: What isn't there to love about this sub? The lows hit with authority, the mids make your ears bleed, and the Sound Quality makes baby jesus cry. It does not miss a single bass drum beat, a single note in any rap sound, or any other song for that matter. There's never a time where I wanted it any louder. It's loud enough to be heard from blocks away if that is what you desire. It also sounds nice enough to put in SQ cars.

I love that, it's a sub that even god would approve of! Good job Fi

another great review.

Man, It makes me want to get one!