Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

SAE-1000D Pre-Order Open

thanks jacob.

I am trying to get a few of my friends to jump in on this pre order as well, and my shop too. I talked to the owner today and told him he should get in on the pre-order for his car, so he could check out the product/company.

Is there a list or something that we are supposed to go on? I thought I saw something somewhere saying to send payment to a paypal address. It would be kinda early to send payment now, but I definitely want to buy. Can you please confirm payment instructions. :thanx:

I am accepting payments now for those who want to get in now. You can wait to send your payment all the way until April 25th. I opened payment now since some guys seem to have trouble holding onto money and like to pay early, but you also have the option to wait and pay as late as the 25th.

Payment can be made via Paypal (preferred) or money order to:

Sundown Audio

ATTN: SAE-1000D Pre-Order

151 Rebel Hill Dr

Mooresville, NC 28115

also, will the amps handle a 8v input??? My headunit is an Eclipse 8455 pro, 8 volt pre-outs. etc etc...

also, will the amps handle a 8v input??? My headunit is an Eclipse 8455 pro, 8 volt pre-outs. etc etc...

They are made for a 6 volt input. Set the gain structure accordingly so you won't hit 8 volts on the HU and it'll be fine.

I'll just say this about these prices..........I paid more for a used BMF 1000D.......granted you modded by Crossfire, but still...........GREAT Deal for AMAZING amps from a SUPERIOR company.

J

They are made for a 6 volt input. Set the gain structure accordingly so you won't hit 8 volts on the HU and it'll be fine.

That always seems to be my problem, it is apparently a possibility for how i screwed up my DD m1.

I suggest using a DMM on a sine wave to find where it gets to the 5.5 - 6 volt area. Then set the gain on the amp at that volume level to a point where you know that is as loud as you will want it. That should prevent any problems.

I suggest using a DMM on a sine wave to find where it gets to the 5.5 - 6 volt area. Then set the gain on the amp at that volume level to a point where you know that is as loud as you will want it. That should prevent any problems.

that's what i did with my 8v Eclipse :)

I think i'll just end up buying a new eclipse deck with the 5v pre-outs, i have killed a few too many amps. 6v on my deck is like 50, and man i just can't resist the urge to get all the way up to clipping (64 i believe but i have never turned it up past 60)

No, actually i'm cool with that. I just have to get my brother to be cool with that, because he likes to crank it when he gets in, but i doubt he is gonna wanna crank on 4kw and a 15" btl for too long.

For those interested... I started initial stress tests on the SAE-1000D proto. It is hooked up at a ~0.7 ohm DCR on the Nightshade 15" proto... actually knocked my rearview mirror off last night with this combo. My car has no engine right now but I rigged up two large batteries to the vehicle and my 60-amp bench power supply and went to town. I played Bass Mekanik for about 20 minutes and the part of the heatsink where the power supply transistors started to get warm but thats about it. I'd like to get more testing done on it, but it seems like it will do just fine provided it is not being clipped.

For those interested... I started initial stress tests on the SAE-1000D proto. It is hooked up at a ~0.7 ohm DCR on the Nightshade 15" proto... actually knocked my rearview mirror off last night with this combo. My car has no engine right now but I rigged up two large batteries to the vehicle and my 60-amp bench power supply and went to town. I played Bass Mekanik for about 20 minutes and the part of the heatsink where the power supply transistors started to get warm but thats about it. I'd like to get more testing done on it, but it seems like it will do just fine provided it is not being clipped.

Would you reccommend running this amp at .7 daily? What are the coild on the Nightshade?

Would you reccommend running this amp at .7 daily? What are the coild on the Nightshade?

They are dual 2 ohm, roughly 1.5 ohms each on the DMM for DCR. So I was close to 0.7 DCR in parallel. I'll be doing more testing on the SAE-1000D to further verify stability. A 0.7 DCR load should present no issues as that is 1 ohm nominal, albeit on the lower side... but so far so good on testing :) With FOUR of them on one speaker I doubt they would even get very warm daily.

Remember... 0.7 DCR... not nominal.

They are dual 2 ohm, roughly 1.5 ohms each on the DMM for DCR. So I was close to 0.7 DCR in parallel. I'll be doing more testing on the SAE-1000D to further verify stability. A 0.7 DCR load should present no issues as that is 1 ohm nominal, albeit on the lower side... but so far so good on testing :) With FOUR of them on one speaker I doubt they would even get very warm daily.

Remember... 0.7 DCR... not nominal.

Seeing as i am not doing spl to next year, im just gonna order up two once i get my money together for now. Once i finally get around to doing my spl build, (have to finish my motor for my drag car, and buy the tow vehicle) I will most likely be looking at 4 saz 3000d's. :OhYeah:

More SAE-1000D abuse today. I played it for about an hour straight today on Bass Mekanik hooked up to the Nightshade at 1 ohm nominal (~0.7 DCR)... started on 20 Hz - 60 Hz on tones (40 full tone tracks) then played most of the music tracks on the CD. The SAE-1000D was incredibly hot... and the motor on the Nightshade was actually quite warm after this test session. I was really quite suprised the little amp was able to warm up the Nightshade.

I cranked the gain on the SAE-1000D wide open and set my head unit (JVC KD-AR8500) to maximum unclipped volume for the testing. So the amp was most likely clipped significantly but still held on for an hour. It was VERY hot but never shut off... so... with a proper gain structure playing music and not sine waves, I cannot imagine having issues with this amp.

i doing what you did daily. it gets incredibly warm because it maxed out at max unclipped volume on max gain allowed maybe .5 volt over and it gets incredibly warm. sometimes it shuts off. sometimes it doesnt. it all depends on if my ac is running, windows are down. and how fast im going. but then again you shouldnt crank the amp to how i have it cranked. ill lower gains and what not when i get my 2nd amp and strap em. Dont need 1800 on a q a good 1500 - 1600 will sufice

Is this amp going to come with a remote bass knob? Please tell me that that's not optional. Does it have built in cooling fans?

Is this amp going to come with a remote bass knob? Please tell me that that's not optional. Does it have built in cooling fans?

All Sundown amps have a remote knob. None of them have cooling fans. I've only had bad experience with fans... they either fail, get loud, get loud and fail, are loud from day one then fail, etc. With a proper, unclipped, gain structure and a decent mounting location none of the amps need an internal fan due to sufficient thermal dissipation area. If I made an amp with a more cosmetic heatsink as small as the SAE-1000D then I would need a fan, but the heatsink has plenty of dissipation area and thermal mass for the task :)

i doing what you did daily. it gets incredibly warm because it maxed out at max unclipped volume on max gain allowed maybe .5 volt over and it gets incredibly warm. sometimes it shuts off. sometimes it doesnt. it all depends on if my ac is running, windows are down. and how fast im going. but then again you shouldnt crank the amp to how i have it cranked. ill lower gains and what not when i get my 2nd amp and strap em. Dont need 1800 on a q a good 1500 - 1600 will sufice

Indeed. Max out the gains and eventually it will get too hot. And you are correct, thats not exactly the right way to do it :) I am testing your second amp *laughs* you have dibs on this one if you like since it will match your other proto amp.

I know that I am being annoying with these questions:

1) Are the amps going to come with birth certificates?

Edited by Que

No. None of the amps come with birth certificates at this time. I'd like to start doing that later on but it requires too much labor at this point.

Also, the specs are at 13.8v or 14.4v?

The SAE-1000D power output specs are rated at 13.8 volts and match pretty much dead on what the amp will do at that voltage plus or minus a few watts based on build variances.

So could these do 1 ohm strapped, or not likely?

Will they? Probably.

Will you have warranty support? Nope.

When I was doing my abuse testing I hooked it up to loads under 1 ohm and it was okay. I absolutely do not make any guarantee below 1 ohm, though. You would be on your own.