espguitarist91

my 97 taurus build log. Lots of pics

Well, this is my first real car, and Im about to start my project:) When its finished, it will consist of as follows:(pics follow)

1 kenwood 632U headunit

1 set of PG RSD 6cs components

1 profile CL300 (75x2@4ohms)

1 hifonics 1606d

2 Infinity perfect 12.1 sealed with about 1.2 cu. ft. each, seperate chambers

4g and 8g wiring

3/4" trunk floor

some lowes duct insulation for deadening

amp rack made of PVC and mdf(hopefully this idea works)

well im hoping it will sound good. and im hoping everything goes ok. Ill be building the box tomorrow if the weather permits. Ill be posting pics as I follow through with this.

heres the trunk design. The amp rack will be a piece of MDF supported by 4 short lengts of PVC. The 1-1/2" PVC will be fit into 1-1/2" holes 1/2" deep into the MDF floor, same with the top piece.

[trunk.jpg

heres the PVC with the black paint just to see how it will look.

DSCF1157.jpg

the trunk im working with

DSCF1151.jpg

amp and subs(well one of them for now)

DSCF1149.jpg

DSCF1150.jpg

headunit

DSCF1148.jpg

DSCF1147.jpg

some new toys to test out

DSCF1146.jpg

DSCF1145.jpg

thats it for now. Ill keep this updated especially if i build tomorrow, comments are appreciated.

thanks

thats the exact spiral cutting bit i have for my router. its 1/4" so it works for perfect measurements with my jasper circle jig

Great bit. Now if you add some dust collection you are really set.

yeah, i need some form of dust collection badly.

anyways, i made the box today, and im disappointed. It looks like crap, the cuts were way off. I may just make a new one, depending on how it sounds. hmmpph.....

ill post pics later tonight, but they wont be pretty.

well i disappoint myself everytime i look at the box. I guess it came out so bad because i made half the cuts alone, and im used to having help lining up the 2x4 guide. well anywho, it sucks, i may just make a new one. maybe ported and screw the aesthetic part since that will probably be a wast of time too.

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1161.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

DSCF1166.jpg

as you can see the cuts are terrible. I also recessed the sides for carpeting purposes, but i doubt the inset board will fit anyways.

Edited by espguitarist91

well i disappoint myself everytime i look at the box. I guess it came out so bad because i made half the cuts alone, and im used to having help lining up the 2x4 guide. well anywho, it sucks, i may just make a new one. maybe ported and screw the aesthetic part since that will probably be a wast of time too.

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1161.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

DSCF1166.jpg

as you can see the cuts are terrible. I also recessed the sides for carpeting purposes, but i doubt the inset board will fit anyways.

looks a lot better than my first box bro. i have a 99 sable. identicle trunks. i wanna see it completed. looks good so far.

if it's all sealed up, you can spend a couple hours sanding everything clean on the outside and carpet it (which will hide ALOT of defects). it wont come out the most terrible thing ever. your trunk is going to be closed 95% of the time anyways. if you've got it all sealed up well from the inside with the silicone, put the subs in, see how it sounds. if it sounds decent and you want you can just sand down the box and carpet it and call it quits there. but, since people on this forum like perfection in the installs, you could also rebuild the box. i'll admit, the cuts are aweful, but my first couple boxes were too. i'm still not perfect even with a table saw.

How about a flush trim bit on your router?

^^^ what he said....

and from the pictures, that wouldn't be hard to fix. and after it's carpeted, noone would ever know.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

thaks for the words of encouragement guys.:)

well i just tested it out. There some airleaks, especially around the sub. The cutout was a little too large and all my phillips head bits are getting warped so i cant apply to much torque.

anyways, looking at it from the trunk, you cant really tell. but it sounds pretty good. Im sure it would sound better all sealed. Its loud enough when its at volume 25(what i set the gains at), but on regular listening volumes its pretty quiet. Im debating whether i should:

A: try to build a new SEALED box

B: try a ported box

C: ditch them and try out a maw15 or something of the like.

thaks for the words of encouragement guys.:)

well i just tested it out. There some airleaks, especially around the sub. The cutout was a little too large and all my phillips head bits are getting warped so i cant apply to much torque.

anyways, looking at it from the trunk, you cant really tell. but it sounds pretty good. Im sure it would sound better all sealed. Its loud enough when its at volume 25(what i set the gains at), but on regular listening volumes its pretty quiet. Im debating whether i should:

A: try to build a new SEALED box

B: try a ported box

C: ditch them and try out a maw15 or something of the like.

and i dont have a flush trim bit, but that is a goob idea. thanks for the help