sundownz

Sundown Entry Level Woofer

Okay... so this has been under wraps for a while, but it's time to talk about it now. These will probably be coming out around the same time as the SAZ-3000D so I'll let out some information now! A few small changes may happen before release but this is the idea.

A joint venture between Stereo Integrity and Sundown Audio, the "Sundown Audio Integrity E12" subwoofer. Dropped it in my Civic, with no engine at this time, and pulled 140.0 dB @ 51 Hz without any tweaking of any kind and in a rigged up box that used to be sealed for two 12" woofers... A few pics of the whole deal:

SDE_Nightshade.jpg

* The E12 next to the Nightshade 15" woofer

Box.jpg

* The E12 chilling out in the Civic. It was 1 dB louder like this than facing up

Hood_Battery.jpg

* Battery number one

Power_Kinetik.jpg

* 60-amp power supply and Kinetik 2400 -- only had 12 awg wire to charge them, unfortunatly

SAZ-1500D.jpg

* SAZ-1500D in the car, ran at 2 ohms

SPL.jpg

* Term-Lab Reading

These will run around $140 full MSRP and will be rated for ~ 200 - 300 watts RMS, although more is no problem for them based on testing so far.

-------

The E12 was also tested in Sean Belangers truck. It sat in a 0.5 ft^3 sealed box inside of Sean's wall, inverse mounted.

SDE_in_wall.jpg

* Box in the wall, firing back

sde_wall_wiring.jpg

* There it is with all the huge wiring

SPL Results as follows:

17.7 watts @ 133.2 dB

33.9 watts @ 135.9 dB

66.5 watts @ 138.8 dB

120.4 watts @ 141.3 dB

236.7 watts @ 143.7 dB

448 watts @ 145.1 dB

765 watts @ 146.2 dB

999 watts @ 146.3 dB

1399 watts @ 147.2 dB

1886 watts @ 147.2 dB

The motor started at 75.5 degrees and ended at 82 degrees after the testing.

Now... we ran a 60 second burp on a 74 Hz sine wave @ 450 watts.

The motor went from 82 to 84 degrees... so it'll take thermal abuse!

nice! and i thought i already had my new subs picked out. can you give any more specs yet? also, how do you think a pair would be on a sae 1000d (just pre-ordered 2) cause if they'll take it daily i'm in for 4. and when would pre-orders be ready for these?

nice! and i thought i already had my new subs picked out. can you give any more specs yet? also, how do you think a pair would be on a sae 1000d (just pre-ordered 2) cause if they'll take it daily i'm in for 4. and when would pre-orders be ready for these?

No ETA on pre-orders and I am still limiting information as slight changes may be made to this before production starts.

You could run two on an SAE-1000D with properly set gains and some sense behind the volume knob. You would have enough power to potentially damage the sub if continually driven to max output levels. If you have some sense you won't hurt them, though... I've been beating on the proto with a single SAZ-1500D @ 2 ohms quite a bit and that is capable of over 900 watts.

Just get to know the sub and it's limits and know when to stop :) It's not a nearly indestructable beast like some of these new super woofers, but they are incredibly durable considering their pricing.

With those numbers and the mention of a burp, I'd say SPL although I'm quite curious about this woofer. Please post more information about the E12. I'd love to get my hands on a proto to test out.

"17.7 watts @ 133.2 dB" Um, that must be a typo or a super efficient woofer lol.

With those numbers and the mention of a burp, I'd say SPL although I'm quite curious about this woofer. Please post more information about the E12. I'd love to get my hands on a proto to test out.

"17.7 watts @ 133.2 dB" Um, that must be a typo or a super efficient woofer lol.

That is due to Sean's setup. With the woofer sitting in the wall like that it is effectively a really crazy 4th order bandpass. I really wanted to test it's limits and durability before giving it the thumbs up, there is no telling what end users will do to it :)

It's not an SPL woofer... it actually sounds great. It was made to sound good, and it does that. It was also made to tolerate abuse, which it also does. A third goal was efficiency, again, it does that too. This adds up to great SPL scores even though it is a great sounding little woofer.

SSA might have to offer a SAE-1000D and (2) E12 combo in the future. ;)

That will be a great combo, although two would work very well with even just an SAX-100.2 as they are quite efficient.

Yep yep, the little bugger is pretty darned loud. And it doesn't sound too shabby either. ;) The low end on the driver is impressive - very impressive. A pair of these little puppies will rock in ANY vehicle. The single 12 did very well in the teggy.

DO I smell a merger?

Sundown Integrity? :P

Jacob, thats a good idea on the SAX100.2 ;)

The final production model will be getting a rubber gasket like higher end subwoofers. I didn't really like the front "integrated gasket" deal. Those always get torn up and don't help with a seal when the woofer is mounted normally.

Just a little update as I hammer out final details on this guy... also, a 15" model may be offered but not initially. I am looking into the details of the motor I have on the 10" and 12" models to see if simple coil changes can keep it strong enough for a 15" cone. If not, I will develop a slightly larger motor for the 15" version of the Integrity E series :)

Who would be interested in a 15" model? I need to survey interest before I go farther than the prototype phase on the 15" model. I'll be talking to my dealers too... but I'll keep the forum updated as always.

maybe offer the 10's and 12's in single 4 ohm. 3 or 4 10's on a sae 1000d sounds nice.

Edited by JoeHemi57

The final production model will be getting a rubber gasket like higher end subwoofers. I didn't really like the front "integrated gasket" deal. Those always get torn up and don't help with a seal when the woofer is mounted normally.

Just a little update as I hammer out final details on this guy... also, a 15" model may be offered but not initially. I am looking into the details of the motor I have on the 10" and 12" models to see if simple coil changes can keep it strong enough for a 15" cone. If not, I will develop a slightly larger motor for the 15" version of the Integrity E series :)

Who would be interested in a 15" model? I need to survey interest before I go farther than the prototype phase on the 15" model. I'll be talking to my dealers too... but I'll keep the forum updated as always.

What kind of RMS are we looking at on the 15? The same as the 12 or higher?

That information is not available yet. Depending on the changes needed to make the 15" version work it could be the same or it could be more.

There seems to be some confusion about the primary goal of this sub on the other forums... this woofer was made as a great sounding entry level woofer. This primary goal was to sound exceptionally good compared to other woofers in it's price class. Secondary to sounding good I wanted it to last a LONG time and be tolerant to abuse -- demonstrating this part is the primary focus of this thread. This is NOT an SPL woofer... it is a great sounding small woofer that just happens to do pretty well on the meter and handle alot more than rated power.

I'm looking forward to getting more reviews about the SOUND of the woofer. That is what it is all about. SPL for the dollar was not the focus of the design, but it happens to do pretty darn well for a woofer designed primarily to sound as good as possible in it's price range.

hook me up with a loaner when i get back and i'll review it.

J

Would be interesting to see how this compares to the CSS 12" driver that just came out, as well as the Exodus Audio drivers - both of which appear to be solid choices in this price range.

I'm looking forward to getting more reviews about the SOUND of the woofer.

Next time you're up in this neck of the woods, bring one up and I'll be happy to give my thoughts :)

And yeah, a 15" is definitely a good idea :P

Great work Jacob, what size coil, motor and any t/s fig's yet? And is that correct you ran 1800+wrms to one of these E12's?

Great work Jacob, what size coil, motor and any t/s fig's yet? And is that correct you ran 1800+wrms to one of these E12's?

These have a 2" coil and the T/S on the proto are as follows:

SDE 12

Revc = 6.9243 ohms

Fms = 34.9858 Hz

Zmax = 48.2483 ohms

Qes = 0.4987

Qms = 2.9762

Qts = 0.4271

Le = 3.7210 mH (at 1 kHz)

Diam = 258.4450 mm ( 10.1750 in )

Sd = 52459.7391 mm^2( 81.3128 in^2)

Vas = 103.7271 L ( 3.6631 ft^3)

BL = 15.4293 N/A

Mms = 77.9978 g

Cms = 265.3233 uM/N

Kms = 3768.9871 N/M

Rms = 5.7609 R mechanical

Efficiency = 0.8369 %

Sensitivity= 91.2448 dB @1W/1m

Sensitivity= 91.8720 dB @2.83Vrms/1m

These are measured on the driver with very little break-in time, IIRC.

And yes... we did a burp for a few seconds with 1800 watts at ~75 Hz or so to keep mechanical limits out of the picture.