Sign in to follow this  
putergod

Another newbie

Hey everyone. I found this site while looking up stuff about US Amps, and I'm glad I did! So, I'll be lurking here and there.

Name is Mike, and live in the Warner Robins, GA area. I am an Electronics Technician in the Navy, and Systems Administrator in my civilian life. I've been heavily into home and car audio since about 1987, and have a deep appreciation and love for the old school, hand crafted in the U.S.A., quality gear that seems to be rapidly going the way of the dinosaur.

Hope to get to know some of you, learn from some of you, and maybe even share a little knowledge with some of you.

welcome, and to your dismay a lot of companies including DD etc, have quite a few of their products built overseas, but if you are looking for a couple genuine us companies, feel free to check out Fi Audio and Sundown Audio.

How do these newer companies that you speak of compare to what SoundStream, Orion, Linear Power, and US Amps used to be, particular broken down in the following categories:

Sound quality

Build quality

Overall "bullet proofnes" (if you were around in the 80's and 90's you know what I am talking about in relation to the companies above - I've seen both a US Amps and a SoundStream used as a cutting torch all day, and still pound away when hooked back up)

Are they "underrated"? (Again... see above...)

All in all.. how do they compare? I currently own a SoundStream Reference Class A 10.0 (arguably the best car amplifer ever produced) and a US Amps USA-4300x (have "accidently" had this on a dead short with no damage - still sounds awesome). Both have served me well over the years (the SS has been running on a 1/2 Ohm load since 1995 and still pounds away), but in the new car I want matching amps for "looks", but want to retain the quality I have now.

I would say that Sundown has some pretty awesome amps, The saz-1500 d has been tested down to an amazing .175 ohms per amp. the amp @ 1 ohm produces closer to 1800 watts.

As for indestructible, email scott from fi car audio (scott@ficaraudio.com) and ask him out of how many BTL re-cones, has the issue been destroyed voice coils???

Now i am not comparing either product to your amps, as i was not around, have not dealt with or used the amps you have mentioned.

Welcome Mike, from what I understand, even with the move the AX line from US Amps is still made here in the US. Just in california, not florida. And if you are interested in premium US built amplifiers, I need to add ZED to the list. Top tier amps and mid level prices.