Friend just got a deal on one of these

2 questions:

Is it an "old" Orion?

Is it 1 ohm stable? Any ideas on the power?

1st. IMO yes. From when Orion=power not overpriced.

2nd If I remember correctly yes. I think it is just as the HCCA was..........prt 2 I have no clue at this moment.

J

IT is not 1 ohm stable from what I remember, great amplifier for sure though.

i think it's rated at 2ohm, but IIRC they could handle 1 ohm loads. been awhile since i've seen an older orion...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You might get it to run a 1ohm stereo load. Might. The amp is rated @ 200x2 @ 4ohms 800 bridged @ 4 ohms.

Didn't realize it would bridge to 800w at 4, I thought it was 2. Either way 800w at 4 will work fine for a D2 Mag.

i thought all older orion stuff, especially the HCCA stuff, could drop below rated impedance. but 800 @ 4 is sweet anyway, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

does this sound right?

rms power

200 x 2 @ 4ohm

400 x 2 @ 2ohm

800 x 1 @ 4ohm

1000 x 1 @ 2ohm

it is my understanding that this is essentaly the same amp as the hcca250r but it is only stable to 2 ohm loads instead of 1/4 ohm loads

The HCCA series were never rated below 1/2 ohm stereo. Some ran them there but is was never anything like recommended. Same can be said for the XTR series. Only rated for 2 ohm stereo operation. Might be OK below that but usually not worth the risk to the equipment to run it as such when you might only get a marginal increase in power over the rated impedance. The power supply is sized for the rated power at the rated impedance. Running it outside that greatly increases the chance of blowing the power supply.

i thought all older orion stuff, especially the HCCA stuff, could drop below rated impedance. but 800 @ 4 is sweet anyway, lol.

From what I remember, the older Orions, Extreme and HCCA's had nearly identical insides, except the HCCA's were meant to be able to take much lower ohm loads.

it just seems to me that orion and us amps were some of the first "cheater" amps, from mainstreme style companies anyway. rated for one thing, but able to drop to silly impedances compared to rating and produce silly power.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

From what I remember, the older Orions, Extreme and HCCA's had nearly identical insides, except the HCCA's were meant to be able to take much lower ohm loads.

The HCCA 225 was built on the same board as the XTR-275 (these were the "pop-top" models which i have). The board even says XTR-275 on it. The similarities end there though. Every component on the board is different to the best of my knowledge. The 225 used a lower rail voltage but higher current capacity output devices to optimize it for low impedance operation. The XTRs were not capable of the same feats of low imp. operation as the HCCAs. PPI did a similar thing with the PROMOS and PROArt series. PG did the same thing with the MS and MPS series amps.