Sign in to follow this  
carguy6702

BL vs. Q

am thinking about getting a Q but the BL is tempting not sure yet on a 10 or 12 and goin to be a daily sub.

well the BL is suppost to hit better than the Q but how much and how well is it. does it get lower and higher than the Q or is it about the same. dimensions for box are 28*15*14 and goin ported and thinking bout goin with 30

Most of which is really box dependent.

If you want to 'classify' the subs, the Q is more on the SQ spectrum and the BL is more geared for spl and will also take more power as well.

ok, but whats the difference between the way they play the lower and higher notes

It's all box dependent...

I don't understand what you mean when you say "the way they play the lower and higher notes". They are both subwoofers, ideally you should be playing between 20 and 80Hz...

I think he means which sub plays louder on lower and higher freq. Well I do agree that its all box dependent as well. sometimes I do wonder Q vs BL in same box allignment with 30hz showdown.

oh.... i get it now

^_^

how would this be 2cu. @ 30

or is that still not saying nothing

Edited by carguy6702

what nick means is that they BOTH can hit low and loud based on the enclosure you build....

A Q tuned at 30 hz on 1k watts will sound (to the ear) musicly the same as a BL in an enclosure tuned to 30 hz with 1 K watts...

but the Q has the ability (with the right enclosure, amplification and xover points) to provide better SQ..

Where the BL has the ability (with the right enclosure, amplification and Xover points) to give you better results on the SPL end...

It is all about "potential"

the Q has the potential to be better at SQ then the BL

and the BL has the potential to be a better SPL sub then the Q

That about sums things up. The Q has more linear volumetric displacement and test to like the deep stuff when pushed hard more than the BL would. The BL has more motor strength and suspension and tends to handle daily abuse and SPL better than the Q.

But, there can be plenty of crossover between the two subs depending on application and enclosures.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott

by "more linear volumetric displacement" does it means it has flatter BL curve?

In a sense yeah, the Q motor is weaker than the BL motor because the lack of steel inside of the pole..it has a longer coil and therefore the cone moves more = more volumetric displacement (linear)

ooohh...

So the BL can take it better than the Q because its designed for more SPL but the Q will get the deep stuff better when pushed hard?

how many watts is hard for the Q?

its what Fi Car Audio said but without "linear volumetric displacement" and "motor strength and suspension" i gotta read a book or something about this stuff so i can understand it better anybody know any good references

Edited by carguy6702

Just read scotts, nicks or shawns posts... I learn more here then in any book LOL

Volumetric displacement is simple, however its linear displacement that matters the most (and yields the least amount of thd) once you go past linear bad things happen..get mechanical noise, cone noise etc etc.

Think of it as a piston..if a 12" piston moves 1mm linearly, it has far less 'volumetric displacement' than a 12" piston that moves 12 inches (merely an example, not to be taken seriously)

Bottom line, if the cone moves more = more displacement.

one more ques.

since theyre almost the same will the BL have SQ like the Q?

i know the Q will do it better, but will it be there or will it go straight to SPL?

thanx abunai

so i guess the Q with BP would be the better.... getting SQ and handle more power to get louder

Sign in to follow this