nimbyfaygo

Two Rl-p 12's installed

First thing is WOW! I decided to put them in a 4.1ft^3 box ported @ 32hz.

Right now I have one Hifonics 1600 powering them. I'm going to install the other soon.

I tried to build the most efficient box I could. Its based on about 70/30 spl/sq.

But the speakers surprised me, they are WAY more musical than expected.

I did put one in a 1.5 cu sealed box. I was pleased with the way it sounded. I listened to it for about two hours total. (going to school and back. Extremely musical absolutely no complaints about anything.

That design just didn't have the output I wanted.

I wanted the new box to get very loud. While still retaining very acceptable SQ. The port is large (its 81in^2) of area, big for twelves. Its not so big as to cause a drop in musical dynamics. And the way that the back of the car is made, it heavily reinforces the output of the port. Surprisingly the sound is very flat. The CRX/Civic hatch has a natural rise of about 8-10db between 45-60hz. That allowed me to tune low and still get it to kick.

They are as loud or louder than the 3 15's in my truck! Playing rap with higher tone bass will make your eyes water!

It plays the low low notes with authority and will make the car flex everywhere!

Here are some pics of how they are installed.

I'm using the box to support the back seat. Its out of a different car and the upper mounts are different.

P1050456.jpg

P1050457.jpg

P1050458.jpg

P1050459.jpg

P1050460.jpg

P1050461.jpg

Great looking box!

They probably beat the hell out of that little hatch.

Nice work! :)

They probably beat the hell out of that little hatch.

Nice work! :)

I have a video. As soon as it gets posted on Realmofexcursion.com, I'll post it up here. Those 12's give my car a good workout!

Nice install and I just peeped the vid. That looks loud as hell in their, good job!

Box looks nice and I bet it's loud. How close is the port to the rear of the car? Seems very close and you might gain a little more if you could move the box forward a few inches...

kinda sounds like its bottoming out a little bit on some notes

I thought that it was bottoming out too. But as I was playing more songs I noticed that they can move quite a bit further than the vid shows. (Not linear travel but still moving)

With a little investigating, I found out that the jack was making that sound.

Edited by nimbyfaygo

Box looks nice and I bet it's loud. How close is the port to the rear of the car? Seems very close and you might gain a little more if you could move the box forward a few inches...

Its about 4in away from the back wall.

There is no possibility that I can move the box forward, I relocated the rear of the back seat about 1in further forward to get the distance I got. I could of went hight with it. but I wanted it to fit under the hatch cover.

Congrats on the box though, I like that finish.

Front speaker mounting leaves something to be desired, IMO...

Congrats on the box though, I like that finish.

Front speaker mounting leaves something to be desired, IMO...

What do you mean front mounting? They are on the top of the box!.

i think he was talking about the mid-basses.

Ah, that makes since. Actually they are mounted to the door with two 1/2in mdf rings. I just covered everything with dampening

Ah, that makes since. Actually they are mounted to the door with two 1/2in mdf rings. I just covered everything with dampening

Well I'm making a new box for them soon. On whim I decided to flip the box and now the subs are forward and the ports up. You wouldn't believe the amount of output I gained! I'm getting it metered this weekend, and I'm 100% sure that it will hit a 150.

Its weird because they still sound so good! This time around there is going to be no back seat installed, I'm going to have the new box against the back wall, with an amp rack angled right in front of the box.

Also got the grills for the door speakers finished. Much better I think!

P1050507-1.jpg

P1050505-1.jpg

Now that looks good :)

Any pictures of how you made those? Gave me an idea for mine...

I was just wondering how you fit that big of a box in the hatch, I have a 93, 2 door also, I had to take the back seat out. How much more space did the new seat give you. My box is approx 7.3@34, about 37x23x22. A back seat would be nice but it just wasn't happening...

Now that looks good :)

Any pictures of how you made those? Gave me an idea for mine...

I just cut the middle of the stock grille out. Then fiberglassed a little ring to line up with the speakers.

I was just wondering how you fit that big of a box in the hatch, I have a 93, 2 door also, I had to take the back seat out. How much more space did the new seat give you. My box is approx 7.3@34, about 37x23x22. A back seat would be nice but it just wasn't happening...

Well the box in there right now is 35.5 wide, 15 high, and 22 deep. The only reason I added the new seat was because the stock seat wasn't there when I bought the car.

Is that a spray-on liner? It's a nice understated box treatment, that's for sure.

Looks like fleckstone.

Covers imperfections really well...and isn't exactly cheap. Works and looks good though :)

It turns out nice. I started with rounding it all down smoothing it out, a couple coats of fillable spray primer, then sparay bedliner, then whaever exterior finish, really help with box flex too. mine looks about like that just black, with an 18"... good job though...