Sign in to follow this  
Silverbane

Got back from FX DBDrag

Setup:

Car: 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

Battery: Purple Haze Deep Cycle

Wiring: 1 run of 4 guage monster to the back to 1 farad cap, split into 2 4 guage runs to amplifiers

Amps: 2 SAZ-1500D's strapped

Subs: 2 Oldschool ClifDesigns 12" 1000Watt RMS wired at 3.2 ohms.

Box: Bassworx prebuilt futureshop

Deck: Pioneer Premier DEH960-mp

First run (Qualifying): 139.1dB TL ran from 30-41 hz, hit peak at 41hz.

Second run: Started at 42 Hz, ran to 139.3. Amps went to protect and had to reset deck with time clicking (while tied with other competitor). Reset deck and hit a 139.8 at 43 Hz.

Third run: fudgeed it up, ran it burp at 43Hz for a 140.2 when the LED's started the run. Other competitor 'was not ready' and we needed to start over. Ended up with a 139.8. The guy that we competed against in last run ran a 154.2 in a rex.

We are not unhappy with the scores at all, landed second in Street B, but with a mere 24 hours to put it together, we were severly lacking.

What we are going to do for next time:

Minimum 1 run of 0 guage

Custom Box

Find what the optimal Hz is

Burp at 2 ohms

Ill post some pics after I dl them!

Cool stuff. Competitions are always fun whether you win or not :) I think so anyway!

It was definitely a good time. Wasn't that CRX doing a 152? I know you guys have potential with those amps - we'll have to get together for a termlab session some time to up that score.

Edited by element

Single run of 4ga wire for that setup seems kinda wimpy...

It was definitely a good time. Wasn't that CRX doing a 152? I know you guys have potential with those amps - we'll have to get together for a termlab session some time to up that score.

You are right, it was a 152.4. Oh well. I would really appreciate that time on the TL. I know I gotta hit up Steve for another 1/0 kit and get a new box. I think we can get it into the higher 40's if we work at it!

Single run of 4ga wire for that setup seems kinda wimpy...

Unfortuanly, that is all I had time for. And it is disgustingly wimpy for 2 amplifiers that can draw over 300 amps strapped.

We were limited by the wire alot...

Edited by SilverBane

Yeah, you'll definitely need more copper in that car... and a new box... and new subs... and TL time. Nothing major though! Ha

Yeah, you'll definitely need more copper in that car... and a new box... and new subs... and TL time. Nothing major though! Ha

Unfortunatly due to $ constraints, new subs wont be for a little while. Those ones still had a little left in them though.

Copper and new box for sure though. What do you think I should run for box Ryan?

I think with your set-up you should take a hit in cone area and drop down to A. I should be in the mid to high 40's with two saz-1500d's and 2 10" woofers for this season, in a pretty similar vehicle (trunk and basic dimensions).

To be really competitive in B wouldn't you need four 1500's or at least a pair of 3000's???

Edited by audio-neon

Unfortunatly due to $ constraints, new subs wont be for a little while. Those ones still had a little left in them though.

Copper and new box for sure though. What do you think I should run for box Ryan?

I'd say build a 5 cube box and use external aeros so you can trim em' and tune. Then stuff the box with whatever to displace some volume and start over with the ports until you find whats loudest. You'll have to find what position and frequency works best.

If you're feeling ambitious, your best bet will probably be to seal the trunk and fire forward - that seems to be the way to go with trunks. That's next on my list of things to do.

Edited by element

I think with your set-up you should take a hit in cone area and drop down to A. I should be in the mid to high 40's with two saz-1500d's and 2 10" woofers for this season, in a pretty similar vehicle (trunk and basic dimensions).

To be really competitive in B wouldn't you need four 1500's or at least a pair of 3000's???

I am not sure. For now I need to stay where I am due to cash. The guy who pulled the 152 was running (As element noted) a pair of e-audio 3kwatts. So 6k total. I placed second out of 4 with a 140...

Ryan, our best run on the weekend was at 43Hz. But I have no way to test it with no TL here with the new box. Steve says he ran these things burping at about 2k each before, so they should be able to handle the power going to them if we can get the power going to them...I need more testing, I should be at least near your RE's considering you have less then 2kwatts, no?

After you get some power, you will obviously destroy me though...

I am kinda trying to convince steve to buy a BTL 12" and run it strapped with the sundowns at 2ohms...Run in street A...but damn cash right now...sucks being in debt...

I'd say build a 5 cube box and use external aeros so you can trim em' and tune. Then stuff the box with whatever to displace some volume and start over with the ports until you find whats loudest. You'll have to find what position and frequency works best.

If you're feeling ambitious, your best bet will probably be to seal the trunk and fire forward - that seems to be the way to go with trunks. That's next on my list of things to do.

Did that in my car and lost .8 db's. Working on a sweet spot in my trunk now. (although running sealed till the new box is built). There is a spot in my trunk that at 45-50 hz flexxes the area right along the inside of the windsheild really well. Been playing around with that spot with the test box and hit pretty well.

Silverbane:

I know what you mean about cash. I would get TC sounds OEM 10" woofers instead (350 for a pair). They are effin beasts.

Did that in my car and lost .8 db's. Working on a sweet spot in my trunk now. (although running sealed till the new box is built). There is a spot in my trunk that at 45-50 hz flexxes the area right along the inside of the windsheild really well. Been playing around with that spot with the test box and hit pretty well.

Silverbane:

I know what you mean about cash. I would get TC sounds OEM 10" woofers instead (350 for a pair). They are effin beasts.

Wow, is that ever cheap! I never would have guessed that price from looking at them in your thread.

Edited by element

Jacob got four of them, lol! Doing something with a boat, and than one to his brother and 2 for something else.

Damn... I'm surprised you even got a 140 with only that single run of 4g...

Get more wire... NOW... before you do anything.

At the very worst go to Princess Auto and buy some 0/1 welding cable.... trust me, your score will go up ;)

(get at least 2 runs if possible... if not 4) :fing34:

At the very worst go to Princess Auto and buy some 0/1 welding cable.... trust me, your score will go up ;)

For competition I will be running 2 runs of 4 (one per amp), and possibly adding more later this season, or just switching to 1/0 when I switch to my new car.

Edited by audio-neon

For competition I will be running 2 runs of 4 (one per amp), and possibly adding more later this season, or just switching to 1/0 when I switch to my new car.

We are looking at 1/0 welding right now. I can pick that stuff up cheap. 2 runs should be sufficient I think. Will help enormously. Been talking with some people and have some ideas to help push it up...

I am hopeing mid to high 40's, but I may need new subs for that...

Dude I gave you a 0 gauge kit, why are you using the 4 gauge? I would run minimum 1 run of 0 better if you ran 2. Get the amps running at 2 ohms strapped. Most likely amp when into protection because of the single 4 gauge wire and had to much voltage drop.

Dude I gave you a 0 gauge kit, why are you using the 4 gauge? I would run minimum 1 run of 0 better if you ran 2. Get the amps running at 2 ohms strapped. Most likely amp when into protection because of the single 4 gauge wire and had to much voltage drop.

I know, it is going into the GA next time. Reason it was in the cavy is that the subs were already in there. There will be AT LEAST 1 run of 1/0 next time...

Steve, when u gonna get me those stickers so I can start repping ya! :fing34:

Sign in to follow this