Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

How are these subs rated?

I want to make sure of this so i know what kind of amps to buy.

Are Fi's subs rated before or after impedance rise?

This is very important.

Giving examples-

Audiobahn Eternal rated at 900wrms

Audioque HD3 rated at 1000wrms

I ran 1 eternal off of a 1250wrms amp and partially damaged it with a test tone for 42seconds with 100% clean signal reading from oscilloscope.

the power it was ACTUALLY receiving - 334w!

Conclusion - Audiobahn rated this sub before rise.

I ran 1 Audioque off of a 2,500w amp and i ran test tones, bass tracks, clipped songs(intentionally) and never damaged the sub.

The power it was ACTUALLY receiving - 1,413w.

Conclusion - Audioque rated this sub after rise!

If i want to run the Qs or BLs which are rated at 1000wrms, IF the above is answered, it will let me know whether to purchase a 1000w amp or a 2,000w amp with an EQ used to prevent frequencies from exceeding 1,000w.

it doesnt work like that...impendence rise will be different in every box.

and some subs are underated as to what kind of power they can really handle, its to keep people that dont have alot of experience from blowing them. o and audiobahns just plane suck, ive seen them blown and heard about to many of them being blown...

and frequencies arent measured in watts...

Edited by 04-edge

i think u are missing what i am saying.

I know a lot of companies rate their subs by what amp rating they want you to use so the "General Public" can have a long lasting setup. However, some companies i have had experience with, Audioque as being one, rates their subs AFTER rise. I should probably clarify that by saying, they rate their subs off of TRUE power than just by amplifier rated power.

My last setup, Audioque, was a choice i made because a competitor convinced me to use their HD3 sub for daily since he did off of 1 Hifonics Colossus amp, 3,200w amp on a 1,000w rated sub and never had a problem.

An EQ can boost or cut different frequencies. If you cut power to certain frequencies, the wattage being sent to them would then be less... If the wattage that was being sent to them was way too high, an EQ can fix that by reducing the power being sent around that center frequency.

If you were to setup a sub to play a range between 25-80hz and were to meter the receiving power let's say every 8hz starting with 25hz, their would be a variation in wattage that the sub is receiving because of tuning of box and box build itself.

Not every frequency will be reading at MAX amplitude on an oscilloscope from my own experience and to get the max power out of your playable frequency range, you can use an EQ to boost those frequencies which aren't maxing in amplitude and cut those who may be clipping.

That is what this whole post is about. Using an amp that may be a little bit more powerful than necessary so all frequencies(or as many as possible) can be within the proper wattage receiving threshold. No frequencies clipping but as many as possible receiving max amplitude and no frequency being metered as outputting more power than was is safe for any Fi sub.

I'm sure if i hook up a 100w amp...it isnt worth hooking an o-scope too.

If i hookup a 10,000w amp to an SSD, proper cutting of the power on every center frequency of an EQ i set can still play that sub safely for daily as long as it stays within it's power handling limits. Again, that's what this whole post is about.

For a Q or BL, will a 1,000w amp max out it's power handling capabilities because i know i cant get 1,000w out of a 1,000w amp for daily or should i step up to a 2,000w amp and ensure that the sub doesnt receive over 1,000w at any frequency if that is it's real thermal threshold if that is how they are tested.... by real power rather than by amplifier rated power...

Your reading waaaaaay too far into it...

We rate our products a certain way, you'll have zero issues at all if you follow our rms recommendations. If you put more power to them, that is at your discretion. We will not say it will or will not take more power than what they are rated at :).

For example a pair of SSD's and a Sundown 1500d at .7 ohm is a wonderful combonation.

based upon researching Sundown Audio, you just fully answered my question, Thank You, :)

Sign in to follow this