Sign in to follow this  
redliner1

cloth or fleece?

Which is better for making the outer part of the kick panels, grill cloth or fleece? I used grill cloth for my tweeter pods. It seemed to work great. I also read that others use fleece.

Which is better for making the outer part of the kick panels, grill cloth or fleece? I used grill cloth for my tweeter pods. It seemed to work great. I also read that others use fleece.

i like fleece, but you can always use a old tshirt also...

which ever you like is the best way ;)

jamie

I hate fleece simply because you have to use so much resin. The grille cloth will stretch just the same and take about a quarter of the resin fleece will. Add your glass for strength and you're good.

someone should make a pic tutorial ;)

lol I was just throwing the idea out there ;)

yea sure :finger:

i can do a small pease and post it later this week...

i have some fiberglass and resin left over from a job i did....

there you happy now...LOL :boink:

jamie

or you could make me some kicks, lol

maybe even do some glassing on that lil bench project i have. i got lots of resin and a good bit of chop mat. :ugh:

at home depot in the fiberglass section they have a cloth special for that, i found it really easy to wirk with. its thing and slightly strechable but tis like perfect for resin. they way its designed you would think resisn pours right through it from looking but it stays right in place. and when it drys i think it becomes fiberglass. it must be fiberglass based becasue it become completely see though and smooth. you can not tell there was ever any fabtric. great stuff to work with.

at home depot in the fiberglass section they have a cloth special for that, i found it really easy to wirk with. its thing and slightly strechable but tis like perfect for resin. they way its designed you would think resisn pours right through it from looking but it stays right in place. and when it drys i think it becomes fiberglass. it must be fiberglass based becasue it become completely see though and smooth. you can not tell there was ever any fabtric. great stuff to work with.

Pretty sure that the stuff you are talking about is glass cloth. It doesn't stretch at all, you just deform the weave of the fabric. It is used in conjunction with resin to add strength after the basic form is made with something else. Since it is maed of glass, it does turn transparent when all the air pockets in it are soaked with resin. I generally prefer it to mat when I am doing reinforcement, but it sucks for making the basic shape. To make the basic shape, you want whatever you use to be really stretchable. I personally use T-shirt material. You can stretch it enough that the wrinkles and folds end up past the base that you are working on and then just cut all the excess off when the resin has dried. This leaves you with a nice smooth shape to work with and unlike fleece, the inside is smooth as well, making it easy to add layers of glass cloth or mat to without ending up with air pockets.

or you could make me some kicks, lol

maybe even do some glassing on that lil bench project i have. i got lots of resin and a good bit of chop mat. :ugh:

ME too, that's my current project for my buddy's Z, along with a fiberglass enclosure of the entire rear well...... I'll be smelling resin for weeks!

I'm with the t-shirt material. Very stretchable and doesn't take nearly as much resin to saturate. But at the same time fleece is stronger afterwards, it just takes so much d@mn resin :)

Sweat Pant material---resin soaks in good and holds form very well once dried.

Try it---it works---it is what I made my enclosures out of.

we going to make my pods out of your stinky gym socks? :P

Sweat pant material IS fleece.

Ramos- I always add a layer or two of mat or cloth over any form that I make out of t-shirt, so strength isn't much of an issue and the t-shirt is just soooo much easier to work with.

for my encloser in my truck we used t-shirt and then we put the resin on then we put a layer of fiberglass hair's and matting. like helotaxi said t-shirt is just so much easier to streetch and work w/ then strengthen later.