Sign in to follow this  
astein3

Break In period for new speaker.

I just received my Fi/SX 12 hybrid in the mail. It looks awesome and ill be sure to get some pics up and a video soon. How long do you suggest i play it low before i turn it up? I have the gain about 1/2 way up right now. Just wondering how long before I can cut loose on this bad boy.

Don't worry about it, the suspension will break in from normal use. Nothing special you need to do.

Thanks for the info. Ive been anxiously awaiting getting my speaker back and I just didn't wanna do anything that could mess it up. BUMP FOR AWESOME PRODUCT!!!

The only thing I ever do is crank it up real slowly to listen to see if anything sounds wrong. I normally do this with the rest of the stage of and some sweeps. Right after that you can wang away. The suspension will loosen faster the harder you play it.

Hey can anyone help me? I am trying to figure out the voltage for my amp/sub so I can set the gains using my DMM. I read the how to but how do you take into account a dual voicecoil sub for the ohm. I have an Fi/SX 12 and an ED 9.1 which does 1200x1@ 1ohm at 12.5 volts. My sub used to be 1000rms but i'm trying to find out from scott if it is any different since it was reconed.

if your askin what should the voltage be from the amp output... that's impossible for us to answer.

Resistance changes with frequency, power(volume setting), box type and build, etc...

The only real way to setup an amp properly is with an oscilloscope.

IF your amp is suppose to do 1200w @1ohm, the max voltage it can do at 1 ohm according to rating CLEAN is about 35v. But if the amp is rated to do, lets say 400w @ 4ohm, you would see 40v. You might be able to get 40v at 1 ohm too if you were competin and blastin the hell out of it.

Point is just with voltage, you wont get anywhere. You would have to have an ammeter hooked up to it and calculate the resistance on the fly and THEN go by a chart or by what someone has recommended the voltage to be set to at a given resistance.

Mind you, the above "so-so" test woul be tested on only 1 frequency, it is best to go through a lot of frequencies to get the smoothest adjustments possible and to ensure no frequencies are clipping, hence... an ocilloscope comes in play.

Vellerman sells one for under $250, it's handheld.

Sign in to follow this