mrogowski

Who would do a 20"?

I doubt there would be a huge market for it, but it would be a great flagship sub that would help advertising by word of mouth. People would definitely talk about it and it could increase sales of other subs.

or it could totally bomb

Sounds like the jackhammer to me

:lol:

Listen to some Tchaikovsky or Orff and see if you still think "audiophile" equals "weak bass" :)

Listen to some audiophiles talk about how loud 100dB is and tell me it's not "weak bass" ;)

Thinner cone could be offset with a better dustcap and larger coil. Of course you're still increasing MMS, but with todays materials, I don't see any problems keeping the mass light.

My biggest concern would be the frame. If it's stamped, it better be some thick steel. If it follows the standard on stamped baskets, it's likely to beak given it's large diameter, but I'm sure this all gets worked out at the OEM, and we know Mark won't sell something he doesn't have faith in.

IB fanatics are always looking to increase displacment. Given that, I personally think this will be a huge product in the DIY HT crowd. I just don't know how big that crowd is. With some creative marketing, it could sell on sheer size alone.

:lol:

Listen to some Tchaikovsky or Orff and see if you still think "audiophile" equals "weak bass" :)

Listen to some audiophiles talk about how loud 100dB is and tell me it's not "weak bass" ;)

If the song doesn't have it...no point in adding it :)

Besides being just a "yes lets do it..." or "no, it won't sell..." type of thing, what does everybody think the driver should be built for? Where would you use it? What kind of specs would you like to see? What do you, Mark, think would be a good addition to your product line? Let's drum up some more enthusiasm for it!

I'd use for HT. A driver suited for a ported enclosure, not too big, like 9-10cuft, 20-25mm Xmax.

Edited by vitod

I'd use for HT. A driver suited for a ported enclosure, not too big, like 9-10cuft, 20-25mm Xmax.

I'd really like to see it optimized for lower power/higher x-max. Maybe most efficient ported anywhere from 3-6fts for auto. possibly I'd give 1 or 2 a try. I can fit to 20's i tihnk ;)

Low power, hi Xmax(Xmag, Xmech), high effeciency.

Usable in Large ported, large sealed, or Infinite Baffle.

Total SQ.....with xmax.

Low power, hi Xmax(Xmag, Xmech), high effeciency.

Usable in Large ported, large sealed, or Infinite Baffle.

Total SQ.....with xmax.

That sounds just what I'd like. :fing34:

A lot of these things just dont go together. High xmax and low power handling? Low Fs and high efficiency?

Like I said before, aim for the performance you get from the 18. Fs in the 30Hz region, suitable xmax 15-20mm, ability to work in a 6-8 cu ft. box. Not to say this would be for HT at all, but designed for music reproduction - you trim the fat (high xmax, expensive baskets, metal cones) and can keep a modest efficiency. With even a 4" coil, I wouldn't want to run more than 500W - and that is a relatively inexpensive target power level these days.

I would try one for sure, although, i agree wt beefing up the 18 first.

I say, it'll be a hit with HT DIYer's. They(I) will always go to the next level.

I say go for it, I'd be down for a pair. I think the chiminey would make a perfect sono tube. Ha HA! Just don't let the Mrs. know I said that. Ha Ha!

Soft parts are proving difficult to get these days unfortunately...

Soft parts are proving difficult to get these days unfortunately...

Meaning? :wtf:

Meaning it will be hard to put together a prototype for some time.

Oh, too bad. I hope that can change soon.