Sign in to follow this  
Burbarry

Scott question: Broken Tinsel Lead

Scott,

I have seen that you sent out a couple of tinsel leads to someone else in the past and was wondering if you could send me some new ones for a 12" BTL fully loaded. I noticed a couple of other ones are almost broken. Also what is the best way to put in the new leads? Any help would be great. Thanks

Found it. :).

Any more info lol?

Personally, I surgically removed the dust cap. I taped off the gap. Then with my set of precision cutters I carefully removed all the CA glue from around where the coil lead and tinsels are soldered together. I desoldered the tinsel leads and carefully removed them. Also, desoldered the rest of the leads from the speaker terminal.

Then, When I received my new tinsels. I made each length even, slid them through the existing hole in the cone, and carefully wrapped the coil lead around each tinsel. Then soldered each tinsel real well. After that I coated each one in a gob of CA glue.

Tested both coils with a 9V battery. Soldered the tinsels onto the terminals. Replaced dustcap with goop.

There ya go wink.gif.

nG

Thank you for that info. That helps out a lot.

its actually a good idea to leave a small piece of the tinsel still soldered to the coil wire instead of trying to take it completely off. Its easier to solder the new tinsel to that then it is to do it directly to the wire. When done dont forget to re-bury it in black CA glue ;) Also when soldering the other side to the terminal itself, dont overdo it on the solder. You dont want that lead to "wick" up too much stuff because it will get solid. Flexibility is what your after and if that thing sucks up too much it will snap easier then the first time.

Where can you find the black CA glue at?

Go to autozone and pickup a tube of Loctite 10min epoxy (or around that set time) it'l work fine.

Where is the best place to buy tinsel for new tinsel leads? Also can you double up the tinsel leads to each coil for more power to run through? or is there bigger size tinsel that you can buy that would help with this problem. Because I don't want to keep on breaking the leads after every stereo show. I was already afraid that when I took the dust cap off I was going to stab a hole in the sub don't want to do that again. Also is there an easy way to get the excess glue off of the cone where the cap used to be?

Thanks!

By the way took first in class again this time with a 145.1 legal in the trunk, borrowed a friends hifonics maximus amp for a 3 second burp in finals that is what burt the tinsel.

Gladly send you out a new set of leads and a dustcap. Please send me an email to Scott@FiCarAudio.com (you might have already as Im currently going through the 300+ from being MIA last week).

As for heavier leads??!?!? BTLs use the heaviest stuff I have reallly run across. Ill send you out a couple of different things and then we can go over the options with them.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks, Scott I just sent you a email.

Hey, Scott sent you an email every thing arrived ok. But still need your help. It is in the email. Thanks

Sign in to follow this