carguy83

Trunk tear down and rebuild log *pics*

Well, I got bored with my trunk. And since I'm currently waiting for my head unit to come back from warranty, I decided to redo my trunk. I don't think i'm going to make it look "as" presentable...but more on the functional side of things. :)

Anyhow...I was itchin to go ported for some time now, and I think I'll follow through this time. I'm going to make a 2.5 cu ft tune to @ 30 hz using two 4" aero ports. Yeah the box may seem a bit small for a ported 15, but it's still within the sub's recommended box volume. The box won't be as deep as my old one...in attempts to get back some trunk space.

Heres what it looks like before:

done2.jpg

done1.jpg

And now...after today...

IMG_2037Medium.jpg

Front baffled removed, and amps taken off their mounts.

IMG_2039Medium.jpg

Box layed down so I can get the sub out. It made taking out the box much easer without 32 additional pounds bolted to it...

IMG_2040Medium.jpg

The mess after I untied everything...only the lonely 2100-XXK still connected. Look at all that space! :P (Don't worry, everything will be neat and clean during the install.)

IMG_2041Medium.jpg

Old box. In case you're wondering, the inside is shiny because there's a layer or two of resin.

IMG_2042Medium.jpg

IMG_2045Medium.jpg

The dynamic duo. Don't they look nice together...

More pics to come...

Edited by carguy83

Oh NO!

That was one of my favorite RL-p installs. I am looking forward to what you come up with.

Thanks Denim. Yeah it looks kinda cool, but it was lacking a bit of output being sealed up and the faceplate blocking all the pressure to the rear of the trunk. The "port" that was cut into the faceplate helped a bit, but not enough for my liking. :)

Got the box built today. Pretty straight forward and simple build, since I'll be using Aeroports. It's basically a large sealed box at the moment. When I get the Aeroports, I'll cut out the holes and mount them. But for now...more pics...

IMG_2047Medium.jpg

Using 3/4" birch this time instead of MDF. The stuff is much lighter, but more expensive and splinters. But it's worth it. My table saw is acting goofy, so I just used a cordless.

IMG_2046Medium.jpg

Used a piece of wood as a guide to get straight cuts...

IMG_2048Medium.jpg

...and it works rather well. Just make sure the guide is even and you're set.

IMG_2049Medium.jpg

Pieces all cut and ready for assembly.

IMG_2050Medium.jpg

First two panels. The box is held together with Elmer's carpenter glue...and some screws.

IMG_2052Medium.jpg

IMG_2053Medium.jpg

It's coming together nicely...

IMG_2055Medium.jpg

IMG_2056Medium.jpg

Sub hole still needs to be cut out.

IMG_2059Medium.jpg

IMG_2060Medium.jpg

IMG_2062Medium.jpg

IMG_2064Medium.jpg

Can't really do anything until the damn ports arrive. :(

Edited by carguy83

Looking great as always.

looking good. can't wait to see this finished.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

well ups guy came today and dropped off my ports from parts express. :D those things looks much bigger in person then in the pics you'll see online.

IMG_2065Medium.jpg

IMG_2068Medium.jpg

IMG_2069Medium.jpg

IMG_2071Medium.jpg

i added 4 more screws to each top piece. it helped with sealing it to the wood.

IMG_2072Medium.jpg

terminal installed.

IMG_2073Medium.jpg

camera flash on...

IMG_2074Medium.jpg

flash off.

IMG_2079Medium.jpg

IMG_2080Medium.jpg

Very nicely constructed box. I liked the old setup, but that new box is looking sexy as hell, looking forward to hearing the finally results. Good stuff!!!

Is birch better than mdf for boxes. What is the best wood to build boxes out of.

Is birch better than mdf for boxes. What is the best wood to build boxes out of.

It is lighter but 4x as expensive.

test fit the box today. looks like i gained 4-5 inches of depth. woot for more trunk space!

IMG_2209Medium.jpg

IMG_2210Medium.jpg

IMG_2212Medium.jpg

IMG_2213Medium.jpg

also got the head unit back. i'll have a quick listen tomorrow. :)

Are your ports right under your rear fills speakers?

Just wondering because if the RL-p is going full boogie it could put some air pressure on the back of the smaller speakers.

they're actually not in use. those speakers are the factory subs, which i've unplugged when i did my audio install. i've yet to figure out how to get the rear deck off so i can take them out. but yeah, the pressure from the ports are making them bottom out. sounds quite nasty. :( my rear fills are in the rear doors.

th_MVI_2216.jpg

Edited by carguy83

Very nice job! The box looks great! I have a couple of questions because I am thinking of a similar box for my truck. What is the out side dimensions of the box? how long are the ports? how do you like the ported compared to the sealed? ups/downs?

Thanks

Chad

Very nice job! The box looks great! I have a couple of questions because I am thinking of a similar box for my truck. What is the out side dimensions of the box? how long are the ports? how do you like the ported compared to the sealed? ups/downs?

Thanks

Chad

oh boy, i loved your old install, i remember seeing it somewhere on the net quite a while ago. but anyways, how does the new box sound in comparison to your old one?

i cant wait for to properly do my trunk.