Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

Interest in pre-ordering 8's?

We're entertaining the idea of releasing an 8" speaker. The speaker will be able to play up to 300 Hz minimum (probably higher), F3's in the mid 40's out of car (even lower in car), and vented around 27 Hz. The driver will feature a low inductance coil, very light moving mass, a stamped basket, and a competitive price. Xmax estimates are around 11 mm one-way.

The 8's will be monsters in the car audio environment, sealed or ported. ~0.5 cubes sealed or 1.2 cubes ported tuned to 30 Hz.

What do you think?

how much would they cost? and how much power?

sounds like a good idea though. if i could afford it i would jump on them to keep my system SI style. since you said theyd play 300herts and higher i assume they are primarily midbass drivers correct?

how much would they cost? and how much power?

sounds like a good idea though. if i could afford it i would jump on them to keep my system SI style. since you said theyd play 300herts and higher i assume they are primarily midbass drivers correct?

They would make good midbass drivers OR subwoofer... the low inductance and low MMS are definatly beneficial to higher frequency response. In this case the only thing limiting the high frequency response is the cone that ends up being used. But to answer your question... I wouldn't call it primarily anything. It'll do subwoofer duty AND midbass duty with equal finesse. Power handling and price are still up in the air.

i dunno how well this holds true but from my perspective thes are my sugjestions.

since it will have good midbass abilities i would try to keep it efficeint and low power. i wouldnt go over 300 watts rms( just my thinking)

and since most people who get 8 inch subs get them for space/power issues keep it efficient and low power.

so basically if you make it really efficent and have a low power rating it should work well for both cases.

but dont drop that 11mm 1 way excursion!

It will be fairly efficient, the low MMS is largely responsible here. Don't expect it to be spectacularly efficient though, not like a dedicated midrange or large-box HT speaker. Trade-offs have to be made to get the sort of low-end we desire out of it in small boxes.

It will be a TON more efficient than the RE8 though (which is 80.4 dB / 0.067%) -- which, FYI, has an MMS higher than the 12" Magnum according to my ISD database.

Power handling and efficiency aren't necessarily related... take a look at an Eminence Kilomax driver.

i dont know whether it's the only 600 watts going to my 15'' magnum or whether it's the 5.25 speakers that i have but something is missing. and i think it may be the midbass. if this 8'' will be pretty easy to power and will add the missing link to my music i would definitely be interrested in buying.

i dont know whether it's the only 600 watts going to my 15'' magnum or whether it's the 5.25 speakers that i have but something is missing. and i think it may be the midbass. if this 8'' will be pretty easy to power and will add the missing link to my music i would definitely be interrested in buying.

I would definatly say it's your 5.25" speakers... a dedicated midbass driver would help you out alot. And no, it's not gonna be a power hog.

PS: Keep in mind the driver is only being entertained right now, it's not guaranteed to come out. The interest level will dictate that. Also, the specs are only roughly what the final driver could be -- so we can't really answer *exact* questions on them as of yet.

So hurry up and make it already!!!! :D

4 in the doors is sounding good to me. Now all you need are amps and HUs, and I can be full on SI gear!

mark me down for "Interested!" :)

mark me down as interested as hell. Especially if it will be great for a mid bass driver. I am in the same boat as herold I have 600 watts to my Mag 15 and 5.25 components and have been hunting a midbass driver for a week or so. I am holding off on the hunt till I hear if these are going to happen.

Put me on the sell to list because I have been waiting on something like this for a while. 2 under the rear seat of my truck and 1 in the console of my jeep should sound great! I might do one under the dash to get that upfront bass! :boink:

OH yeah, will it handle power better than the RE8s? THey seem a little too tame for me. They lose control quite easily offf what I consider a little power.

And who cares about efficiency? :rolleyes:

With these 8's efficiency you won't need that much power. Shoving gobbs of power on them will only hurt them. Just wait a little longer...we'll release more info soon. :)

I'll probably take 2 aswell.

Nick i will be in touch about ordering a mag 12 this week. I am the guy from Ontario, Canada that has mailed you.

so is this enough intrest to make the 8's?

In a businessman's head...there is NEVER enough interest...

I am interested, but I can't say I would buy? It really depends on what direction I take on my car right now... I want to get some performance stuff for it, IE Cam Headers etc. etc. I'm sure if I had the money and you had them in stock I would buy them though lol :)

so is this enough intrest to make the 8's?

In a businessman's head...there is NEVER enough interest...

Exactly.

Just wait though. These things take time.

I would need two as well. Can't wait to see some specs on them, and a price.

i could be wrong but i think low male vocals will go into the 100-200 herts range.

i played a song once in my bros car and he had his sub crossed at 160 for some test and we heard some hums from male vocals through it.